Torquay United v Scunthorpe United - 5/4/14

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Never went in the Union or met the landlord, but still never nice to hear such news, didn't go to the game today, choice between watching my lad play his senior cup semi-final or Torquay today, easy choice (the lads team won as well) Reading some of the reports it suggests today followed a long pattern, no real surprise, just want this to end now, had enough.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

It seems to happen quite a lot that we appear 'the better side'. The fact remains we still nearly always lose. Teams know they can basically tread water through a game, let us have the possession of the ball and we'll do the sum total of f*** all with it. Then, at some point they'll have an attack and more often than not, score. And that will be that. It's not about possession stats or even about playing well. It's about winning, and we never do it. That's why we're going down.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

Regarding the penalty

I don't blame Tonge really, whilst he missed the damn thing ,he stood up and was counted, and it goes someway to showing the lack of confidence in the squad that our forwards (who all have a terrible scoring record this season) did not take it, nor did our "captain" (I use the that term loosely.

In all honesty and this may sound stupid, but I would let Martin Rice take the next penalty if we get one before the end of the season....at least he would just blast it
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

First match since Jan 5th. Played some nice football in first half. Shaq looks a classy young player and one very long run showed great control and also proved he is not selfish. CH applauded.

From the Bench could not see penalty clearly but Winnall scored thats 22 this season.

Clear penalty for us and when I saw Tonge grab the ball I knew he was going to be the penalty taker. Nothing wrong with a defender taking pens IF he is good at it!! Leighton Baines of Everton has 12 in the Premier League with a 100% record. I wanted Shaq because at his age he knows and expects to score.He played with confidence because he knows he is better than the dross around him.

League 2 this season is so poor. We have lost 11 games 1-0 and often played the better football.

We are going down now, very sadly, and it is so so frustrating and depressing. I have my tickets for Daggers and Wycombe. I hope CH can show some class because he looked a very sad figure leaving the pitchside today.

Excluding the loan players the only ones in todays starting line up I expect to see next season, sorry not expect but WANT to see, are Pearce, Lathrope and Rice.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

beano wrote:It is clear that Shaq was substituted because he was tiring...... he is not 100% match fit & CH made the right choice to sub him at that time - the last 10 mins of a match are awful if not match fit - coulsd have picked up an injury or anything...

We played well today - just really bad luck scoring. The penalty taker was always going to be the person who most wanted it - and that was Tongy. I would have liked to see mansell or Shaq take it (not Hawley or Bodin).
first time for everything then,
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

hector wrote:Bad start to the afternoon when the girl behind the bar of our pre-match meeting place, The Union, told me Jeff, the landlord had died suddenly the day before. A lovely bloke and his birthday today, he would have been 57. His brave wife Sue, was there behind the bar, carrying on as best she could, her world utterly changed and devastated, no doubt.

Certainly put our shambles of a football club into perspective, and I really didn't care what happened today. As it happened, we played ok, but two crazy decisions stood out. Dale Tonge, who hasn't scored for 6 years, taking and obviously missing the penalty and substituting Shaq.

In the end none of it matters. We are down and no great escape this time. Of course the first great escape was 1987. That night we went to the Hideaway, where Torquay players like Mario Walsh and Mark Gardiner were getting hammered on the dance floor. The DJ that night, Jeff from the union. On Saturdays in the union, we always used to enjoy the background music. Things like The Cult, late 80s, slightly alternative stuff. We always used to say that Jeff had his Hideaway tapes on. Pre- match won't be the same without him and my thoughts are with Sue. RIP Jeff.
well said mate, great man, a true football bloke

i remember him from the hideaway and also the post horn, he ran a coach up to wembley 89, first time i ever had a real talk to him. there werent enough times after that unfortunately even tho its been 35 years ours paths only properly crossed twice more, both it the union and both involving several hours of earnest humour filled conversation

a really great bloke and will be much missed in the plainmoor area. good night irene!
still keeping the faith
Greybeardedgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Greybeardedgull »

It puts the importance of football into its actual pathetic reality. I didn't know the gent but RIP and feelings to his loved ones.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

hector wrote:Bad start to the afternoon when the girl behind the bar of our pre-match meeting place, The Union, told me Jeff, the landlord had died suddenly the day before. A lovely bloke and his birthday today, he would have been 57. His brave wife Sue, was there behind the bar, carrying on as best she could, her world utterly changed and devastated, no doubt.

Certainly put our shambles of a football club into perspective, and I really didn't care what happened today. As it happened, we played ok, but two crazy decisions stood out. Dale Tonge, who hasn't scored for 6 years, taking and obviously missing the penalty and substituting Shaq.

In the end none of it matters. We are down and no great escape this time. Of course the first great escape was 1987. That night we went to the Hideaway, where Torquay players like Mario Walsh and Mark Gardiner were getting hammered on the dance floor. The DJ that night, Jeff from the union. On Saturdays in the union, we always used to enjoy the background music. Things like The Cult, late 80s, slightly alternative stuff. We always used to say that Jeff had his Hideaway tapes on. Pre- match won't be the same without him and my thoughts are with Sue. RIP Jeff.
I didn't know him at all, but I know people that did. And they speak as highly of him as you do. Well said, and RIP Geoff.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Based on Hargreaves' post-match interview it sounds as if we didn't have a designated penalty taker and it was decided by who wanted it - seemingly only Tonge as his peers hid in the shadows. I'm not blaming him at least he had the courage to take it unlike some of his spineless team-mates. That said, I wouldn't have been too confident with any of them scoring from 12 yards.

Looking at the other options, we weren't exactly spoilt for choice. Taking away the defence and Rice (who would probably feel more confident than our strikers), the six we were left with were Shaq - teenage kid making his full Football League debut so perhaps unfair to heap that responsibility on such inexperienced shoulders. Hawley - missed against Exeter which is enough to destroy anyone's confidence; Mansell - booted his last penalty into Plainmoor swimming pool, Lathrope - never scored a career goal; Cameron - barely featured until recently and has yet to open his Gulls account, and Bodin - who in my opinion should have been the one to take it. He's the only one who has stepped up and scored a penalty for us (home to Rotherham last season when Rene was suspended). Difference was that was a no-pressure situation as we were 2-0 down and it was the last minute - today required bottle and Billy has none.

Hargreaves made a rallying cry and demanded leaders on the field - well there's your answer. Pathetic.

On a separate note, why were Downes and Nicholson not in the squad?
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Fonda wrote: I didn't know him at all, but I know people that did. And they speak as highly of him as you do. Well said, and RIP Geoff.
agree with all.

Geoff was an absolute gent.

I only met him the once, and when I asked for a pint, he asked me why I supported TUFC.....told him I lived there in the old days etc. and we had a good laugh about it.

RIP Geoff.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Dave_Pougher wrote: Was that directed at me if so would you mind explaining your quote and the reasons for the abuse?
It wasn't.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

MidDevon wrote:Regarding the penalty

I don't blame Tonge really, whilst he missed the damn thing ,he stood up and was counted, and it goes someway to showing the lack of confidence in the squad that our forwards (who all have a terrible scoring record this season) did not take it, nor did our "captain" (I use the that term loosely.

In all honesty and this may sound stupid, but I would let Martin Rice take the next penalty if we get one before the end of the season....at least he would just blast it
Absolutely. Somebody asked why a defender was taking a penalty. Complete nonsense as defenders are often the best penalty takers. It's the presuure thing and being used to it. A forward knows if he cocks up in the box the score remains the same and nobody really remembers it. A defender knows if he cocks up in the box it is a goal down. Simple really ... and that is why defenders are better at penalties than forwards (just ask Robin Stubbs ... he was crap at them and would tell you John Bond (a full back) would be a lot better bet! ;-)
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

stefano wrote: Absolutely. Somebody asked why a defender was taking a penalty. Complete nonsense as defenders are often the best penalty takers. It's the presuure thing and being used to it. A forward knows if he cocks up in the box the score remains the same and nobody really remembers it. A defender knows if he cocks up in the box it is a goal down. Simple really ... and that is why defenders are better at penalties than forwards (just ask Robin Stubbs ... he was crap at them and would tell you John Bond (a full back) would be a lot better bet! ;-)
Phil Neal always used to take them at Liverpool and he was a RB. Today was different though...you just knew Tonge was going to miss.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Just seen the red. Abysmal decision. Stockley doesn't have the first clue the bloke is there and does nothing but jump for the ball. Standard.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

ferrarilover wrote:Just seen the red. Abysmal decision. Stockley doesn't have the first clue the bloke is there and does nothing but jump for the ball. Standard.

Matt.
agree,

just seen the highlights, never a red

Part of this season of home frustration for me has been the refs ability levels, its completely woeful and embarrassing
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!