Boardroom, Who does what?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
DTG
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Anyone but McNeil

Post by DTG »

I'm really not sure what to say Cambgull. It seems that you can't grasp or accept any responsibility of where TUFC are without some sort signed confession and that ain't gonna happen. How would you analyse our predicament? Who would you say is responsible? Are you happy to let the current Board members continue to do what they're doing?
GET PHILLIPS OUT NOW!!!
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Quite the opposite actually DTG, I just don't intend to scapegoat any singular people.

I would say our current position is down to every department of Torquay United Football Club that hasn't lived up to expectations. Whether it be the board members, the lack of staffing causing some poor customer service at times, the managers we have had since Paul Buckle, the players on the pitch and the fans who don't cheer on the team, heckle every bad pass and generally do nothing positive apart from pay money to the club. In a small club like ours, it's a group effort and every person must pull together in the right direction. To blame two people for the whole mess is missing the point entirely, as every decision about the direction of the club/business will be made between the whole board. If Baker or Phillips suggest a bad idea, it's down to the rest of the board to look at it in more detail and decide whether it is the way to go. If it's agreed and ends up being a bad idea, it's the fault of the whole board, not just the individuals.

I'm part of a committee myself for my local Amateur Theatre society. We are all volunteers but the whole point of the committee is to put on the best shows, sell tickets and bring in money into the society. If that doesn't happen, then we review why it hasn't happened, learn from the mistakes and move on. But if I come up with an idea, then it is down to the other 8 members to decide whether it's a good one or not. If it's a bad one, then I hold my hands up and say it wasn't a good idea but the fault is with everyone who voted on it and everyone who worked on it. On many occasions, it doesn't even have to be a bad idea, just badly executed.

As an actor, if my performance is poor then it's my own fault, but if the whole show is poor, then it's the fault of every person involved. Leads, Ensemble, Directors and Production team. Fortunately, we're pretty damn good at what we do and don't really have any poor shows.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Every year, two teams are relegated from 24 in League Two. We have the fourth-lowest average attendance in the division and according to a separate post based on conjecture, we have the joint 16th biggest budget. Impossible to know for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if that were true. We haven't had a decent cup run since Buckle left and have been forced to pay off two managers in the last 12 months. When you are working with such figures, there isn't much room for mistakes. Unfortunately, in hindsight, the biggest mistake we made was appointing Knill as manager as he didn't make the most of the budget he was given (this is my opinion not fact).

Unlike Knill, Ling used the budget effectively and was fortunate to inherit the best player to pull on the Gulls shirt since the days of Russell and Graham in O'Kane. Not all of Ling's signings came off, but he built a solid spine throughout the team with the additions of Olejnik, Saah and Howe. Around them were experienced and underrated players like Jarvis and Morris, who was instrumental in Northampton's escape. When you compare these to Knill's signings, you can quickly see why things turned sour (Pearce aside, who Knill kept out of the team for two months). Knill may have been working with a lower budget compared to Ling (I have yet to see any proof that this is the case) but players like Hawley, Tonge and Harding wouldn't have come cheap.

Unfortunately, unlike Northampton, we couldn't splash money about in January because we don't have it. The board did make more funds available as both Labadie and Cooper were signed permanently but they were taken away from us because of situations which couldn't have been foreseen. If a team like Bristol Rovers, who have larger attendances and reportedly a much bigger budget, can get relegated, then obviously so can we, especially if we haven't made the most of the playing resources.

Now the likes of Accrington, Dagenham et al have survived with lower attendances/budgets. The reason for that is because Beattie and Burnett used their resources more effectively than Knill did. The problem, though, for these clubs is that if they have a bad summer in recruitment, then they are likely to pay the ultimate price. Sooner or later, they will be scrapping at the bottom of the Football League. It might be next season or in five years' time, but unless their attendances rise or a sugar daddy takes over, they are always going to struggle to keep their heads afloat.

I've kind of gone off point, and most of the above is just my opinion, not based on facts. But what I'm trying to illustrate is there doesn't necessarily have to be a witch-hunt because we've been relegated. I don't know have any evidence to support Baker, Phillips and the rest of the board. But equally, I haven't been presented with any to suggest they are responsible for our relegation. Maybe it's something more simple than that.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

EddUK12 wrote:interesting idea if 2 board members have such influence and as a result the club get relegated (i am not say this is the case or not) but is it the fault of the 2 or the fault other 10 that watched?
Neither, it's the fault of all 12.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

potnoodle wrote:More importantly is it true that Thea wants out?

Is this the big news that people were on about some time back on here, how many of you have heard the same?
Haven't heard that of late P/N , personally, whilst I do not know, I do not believe Thea does want out, think there's been enough put out in public from both Thea and the Bristow family to convince me that's not the case.
Formerly known as forevertufc
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

So 2 years ago when we were in the play-offs for the 2nd season running, was that success down to Baker & Phillips?

I would agree that the PR from the club is shocking. But it has been forever. This group of supporters who gave substantial amounts of their own money to rescue the carcass that Bateson left behind, have done no worse on the PR front than the likes of Tony Boyce, David Webb, Lew Pope, Mike Bateson, Chris Roberts etc.

I just find it inconceivable that two members of the board (one of whom is alleged not to have put money in) are waltzing around, wielding unchecked powers, while the rest of the board are helpless onlookers. And if the rest of the board are passive spectators, then more fool them!

The group of blokes that bought our club are not a Supporters Trust but in my view, a group of passionate fans who are wealthy enough to buy the club, is the next best thing.

They really messed up with the manager issue. Catastrophically so.

But in my view that is all they have done wrong. The football club is unrecognisable from the shell they inherited and I just hope they learn from the mess-up with the managers position.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

hector wrote:So 2 years ago when we were in the play-offs for the 2nd season running, was that success down to Baker & Phillips?

I would agree that the PR from the club is shocking. But it has been forever. This group of supporters who gave substantial amounts of their own money to rescue the carcass that Bateson left behind, have done no worse on the PR front than the likes of Tony Boyce, David Webb, Lew Pope, Mike Bateson, Chris Roberts etc.

I just find it inconceivable that two members of the board (one of whom is alleged not to have put money in) are waltzing around, wielding unchecked powers, while the rest of the board are helpless onlookers. And if the rest of the board are passive spectators, then more fool them!

The group of blokes that bought our club are not a Supporters Trust but in my view, a group of passionate fans who are wealthy enough to buy the club, is the next best thing.

They really messed up with the manager issue. Catastrophically so.

But in my view that is all they have done wrong. The football club is unrecognisable from the shell they inherited and I just hope they learn from the mess-up with the managers position.
If only that were true...........................
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I personally agree with the sentiment regarding our relegation, no amount of finger pointing, crying over split milk, having a witch-hunt is going change anything, but (and is not aimed at anyone) I just can't react with the same apathetic attitude towards our relegation as others have, I'm angered and will be for while yet, have tried but just cant let it go, all that hard work gaining back our prized league status against the odds, has been thrown down the drain.

Saw my first TUFC game 1980-81 season, will never withdraw my support for the club. I'm tired of this old worn out excuse, we're a small club, we've got no money, poor location, yes that's true in part, but we're not the only ones, and have wasted a stack of money recently. I'm tired of watching clubs a long the lines of Yeovil achieve what they have in just 10 as a football league club, tired of watching Stevenage gain promotion to League 1 in their very first season in the league, ok there back down now, but achieved and held their league 1 for longer than we've managed since I was in nappies, difference, forward thinking proactive directors prepared to stand and shut the door before the horse does one.

Two season in a row, we could and should have been promoted to League 1, would we have maintained that level1, probably not, but who knows, got to be in it to win, and I never thought Stevenage would stay there beyond a season. From the outside looking in it appears that every decision taken was at best unhelpful towards any ambition of promotion, personally I do think it may have deliberate.

If I remember rightly Dave SG at time questioned why Paul Buckle hadn't been put on gardening leave, what other chairman/directors at any other club, would have put up with that kind of behaviour from their contracted manger, despite being in the play-offs clearly wanted out.

I do not want anyone shot or put in prison. I want the board and Chris Hargreaves to stop with their subtle words blaming Alan Knill and making him the very useful scapegoat, it was the board that set us on the road back to conference with their poor decision making some 18 months before Alan knill came to our club, Alan Knill was as much a victim as I've now realized Martin Ling was, just take some responsibility.

I want the board to wake up to reality, even though it might be two years to late. From the outside looking in, it seems the board take the diehard fans for granted and haven't got the first clue how to raise the fan base , I've lucky enough to work as a local coach/manager and sit on the management committees of three different local clubs, the point to that is I've met so many people, not just from the professional and local game, but players families and friends, I can present this as a fact, it's nothing to do with money, local people by and large don't come TUFC games, because they just do not believe in the club, met people who used to go, but don't now because of the same old same old Torquay.

Not suggesting our club spends beyond it's means, but only if we had the foresight to have pushed through promotion, especially the following season under Martin ling when second in the league, and more so if we could have maintained League 1 football, that's the very thing that could/would have changed attitudes in people, as it's not about hanging up a ropey piece of netting at half time, or the crossbar challenge , nice touch though, it about what happens on the pitch, to late now.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

potnoodle wrote:Well the 12 people who run our club are to blame for our relegation. There's no one else to blame, they have made the decisions regarding managers, bring players in, so the buck stops at their door.

If the FA get their way we will probably never be a league club again, I just hope the board are happy, now we have to start all over again. CH has come out and said he didn't realise the club finances were that bad. We have to off load numerous players I would guess for us to get more in, having said that who is going to want the dross we had this season.

I don't come on here making things up, I have heard through reliable people, certainly no rumours, Thea wants out and who can blame her. What happens after that we will see.
I presume then, you were chanting the names of the Board members when we were at Old Trafford? If they're to blame when it goes wrong, they're to blame when it goes right.

As for the Thea thing, yes, you do make things up, the Thea thing is proof of this.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

forevertufc wrote:I personally agree with the sentiment regarding our relegation, no amount of finger pointing, crying over split milk, having a witch-hunt is going change anything, but (and is not aimed at anyone) I just can't react with the same apathetic attitude towards our relegation as others have, I'm angered and will be for while yet, have tried but just cant let it go, all that hard work gaining back our prized league status against the odds, has been thrown down the drain.

Saw my first TUFC game 1980-81 season, will never withdraw my support for the club. I'm tired of this old worn out excuse, we're a small club, we've got no money, poor location, yes that's true in part, but we're not the only ones, and have wasted a stack of money recently. I'm tired of watching clubs a long the lines of Yeovil achieve what they have in just 10 as a football league club, tired of watching Stevenage gain promotion to League 1 in their very first season in the league, ok there back down now, but achieved and held their league 1 for longer than we've managed since I was in nappies, difference, forward thinking proactive directors prepared to stand and shut the door before the horse does one.

Two season in a row, we could and should have been promoted to League 1, would we have maintained that level1, probably not, but who knows, got to be in it to win, and I never thought Stevenage would stay there beyond a season. From the outside looking in it appears that every decision taken was at best unhelpful towards any ambition of promotion, personally I do think it may have deliberate.

If I remember rightly Dave SG at time questioned why Paul Buckle hadn't been put on gardening leave, what other chairman/directors at any other club, would have put up with that kind of behaviour from their contracted manger, despite being in the play-offs clearly wanted out.

I do not want anyone shot or put in prison. I want the board and Chris Hargreaves to stop with their subtle words blaming Alan Knill and making him the very useful scapegoat, it was the board that set us on the road back to conference with their poor decision making some 18 months before Alan knill came to our club, Alan Knill was as much a victim as I've now realized Martin Ling was, just take some responsibility.

I want the board to wake up to reality, even though it might be two years to late. From the outside looking in, it seems the board take the diehard fans for granted and haven't got the first clue how to raise the fan base , I've lucky enough to work as a local coach/manager and sit on the management committees of three different local clubs, the point to that is I've met so many people, not just from the professional and local game, but players families and friends, I can present this as a fact, it's nothing to do with money, local people by and large don't come TUFC games, because they just do not believe in the club, met people who used to go, but don't now because of the same old same old Torquay.

Not suggesting our club spends beyond it's means, but only if we had the foresight to have pushed through promotion, especially the following season under Martin ling when second in the league, and more so if we could have maintained League 1 football, that's the very thing that could/would have changed attitudes in people, as it's not about hanging up a ropey piece of netting at half time, or the crossbar challenge , nice touch though, it about what happens on the pitch, to late now.
love this bit dave. :clap:

god im f**ked off too. :@

and too think i got the club crest tattooed after the wembley experience........... :@

f**king buckle. :@

and an absolute shambles of management and spending money....... :@
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Cracking post Dave and I 100% agree.

Took Nickgulls advice and went to 'shop around' at other clubs. Cheers Nick. :-D =D Not quite Man City but it's a start. :goal:

My little one has always been going on about Rammie the Ram, the mascot of Derby County and so I made the short 20 minute trip to the iPro on Wednesday and got us some tickets for the family area for their home play off semi v Brighton on sunday. The place is awesome but not too big to be inaccessible, huge but not too big to be intimidating and the customer service and attention to detail second to none.

Obviously they have the cash to employ enough staff to please their customers but I immediately felt welcome and I was given exemplary assistance and customer service and felt really valued. At Torquay meanwhile..............................................................

It is 2014. It is no longer a sustainable business model to fail and then assume that fans will continue throwing good money after bad for a product that is not only poor from an entertainment perspective but also shocking value when compared with similar.

Bearing in mind Derby could be playing Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd et al next season I thought I would ask the very kind lady in the ticket office how much a season ticket would be. She quoted me £460 for a lofty position in the east stand, on an end because I'm obese, anti social and also because I get the trots now and then and a quick get away to do a number 2 is always a bonus and I get a load of bonuses like reduced official car parking etc etc.

Now I WAS thinking of getting my first ever season ticket at Torquay even though I don't go to many home games and it is £415 in the bench.

Derby v Chelsea et al for £46 more a season than Torquay v Welling et al?

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Let me see.

I bought a season ticket there and then and my little un is looking forward to it. I'm having a year out from going to Torquay games because we are just run by a load of clueless idiots at the moment and a load of one-upmanship obsessed fans claiming they've heard this and they know that and so on. It's tit for tat bullshit.

It's laughable and much like 3 year olds arguing in the playground about who knows the most. All I know is that paying £21 to sit down and watch conference football makes me rofl at those willing to pay it. It isn't fair, it isn't right and it's simply not worth it. Die hard or not. The people who run club have to learn. I know the counter argument will be that other clubs in our position charge similar amounts so in comparison we represent value for money. My argument AND my opinion would be that in that case MOST lower league clubs have a problem then because I think gone are the days when they can keep cranking up ticket prices and expecting 'staunch die hards' to cover the shortfall in lack of business acumen. Just because Barnet and Grimsby may charge £20 then it's ok for us then yes? For you lot maybe.

Just say the club reduced the price of a season ticket by a pound a game so that's £23 per person. Say 500 buy then my estimates are that the club would lose about £12k. The club would then be in a position to make a big song and dance about the fact that they are REDUCING prices and I believe that more fans would renew and feel a bit better about their relationship with the club and the loss would not equate to such a big deal ultimately. As it is they are more than happy to let you 'loyal supporters' carry the can for their failings and arrogantly assume you'll get them out the shit again. You could argue that this is what being a fan is all about but if you're happy with that for the rest of your lives then fine. All I've ever seen since becoming involved with this club is dissent towards those that run it and it's Torquay, it will not ever stop being that way because you will always have people 'playing' at being board members and who might make business sense decisions to keep the club afloat but no common sense decisions to keep the fans afloat.

Ultimately it will lead to a situation that we are getting close to now, a club with a handful of fans an the apathetic nature of some posters on here would mean that if TUFC folded then there would be no way that a phoenix club could be formed because not enough people care and that goes from top to bottom. I think someone mentioned on the other forum that we had a supporters trust thingy in place but nobody ever did anything or even met so it was a waste of time. The useless players and managers are helping to send this club over the edge but those that run it are determined to make sure we go over as they are seeking to alienate and punish fans further.

I've heard rumours about Thea leaving and to be honest I couldn't care less now. I recommend she does leave and then let's see what amazing schemes the rest come up with using less resources and less money from the fans because they've taken them for granted. The feelgood factor and everyone pulling together mentality should have began last week with ticket reductions and fan appeasement ideas as well as honest statements as to what has happened and what they hope WILL happen in the future. The chance has been missed and nobody has the feelgood factor about next season now. It's another summer of blind hope but little confidence. On the football side of things I'm sure you'll find yourselves suitably disappointed once more but you will have the opportunity of paying £21 for conference south games I guess.

Anyway, Jerry was perfectly entitled to counteract my Torquay rebuff with the news story abou the newborn who will become a Torquay fan but first of all when that newborn is older there won't be a Torquay to support and secondly, my daughter and myself would have been delighted to carry on supporting Torquay should some acknowledgement and understanding of what fans have been through have been forthcoming as well as some sort of recompense reflecting the position we are now in. All I saw was some totally inappropriate, ill timed and random O/S release about the popside pathway. At a time when everyone should be rallying round, people busting a gut to come up with ideas and dynamic soundbites to make us part with our cash for season tickets we get....................buy a brick on the popular popside pathway.

That is why this club is going to the wall and people are leaving in their droves, because those at the helm of heading the business haven't the faintest idea what day of the week it is. The trust has gone, the strength has gone and the fight has gone. The club is now going through the motions and if you wish to pay £415 to be part of that with NO recognition or appreciation whatsoever then more fool you.

The shirt fiasco is another comedy element of the attitude at the club. Sports Direct are selling new home and away shirts at £11.99 and the club refuse to lower the prices of replica shirts in the club shop. Now I appreciate that the club would make a huge loss in doing this but what is the alternative? Once again rather than accept there is an issue that needs resolving they stick their heads in the sand and carry on as normal.

Will there be stock remaining that can't be shifted?

The crux of the matter is that we fans are getting mugged off. Ripped off with ticket prices, merchandise prices, getting a poor service, getting a poor product and being taken for complete idiots by people without even the common decency to acknowledge and address concerns the fans have. Leave fans in the dark, treat them like dirt, rip them off and don't lead from the front. Fine, just don't expect them to give you any more **** money.
Last edited by AustrianAndyGull on 10 May 2014, 09:19, edited 2 times in total.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

AustrianAndyGull wrote: I bought a season ticket there and then and my little un is looking forward to it. I'm having a year out from going to Torquay games because we are just run by a load of clueless idiots at the moment
There's just one flaw in your reasoning, Andy. Should Derby get to the Premier, you'll be suffering another relegation season ...... On the other hand, when the Gulls play at Guiseley, or anywhere else 'Up North' on a Tuesday night, I bet you'll be there ....... =D =D
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Nick wrote: Haha. I try to avoid this place now because there is so much bollocks spouted on here - but I think this takes it to a new level. And is it a shock who's written it? No.

Make sure to let us know what team you randomly pick off the FL list and start supporting next season!
Hope you enjoy the new bollocks Nick! :)

And I didn't write that bollocks. I typed it. Enjoy all the home games next season. Oh sorry, you only get when you can. Bit like me really, makes us equal then I guess.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

So much for "being done" with this.

Without being dragged into another pathetic argument with you, lets just say that over the last decade I've probably missed 10 home games, but don't let the facts get in the way of your arguments pal.

Enjoy the prawn sandwiches. Clear to everyone that TUFC isn't 'in your blood' so to speak, but yeah enjoy the potential Premier League wonkiest at Derby. As bad as the rest of them.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:C

Bearing in mind Derby could be playing Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd et al next season I thought I would ask the very kind lady in the ticket office how much a season ticket would be. She quoted me £460 for a lofty position in the east stand, on an end because I'm obese, anti social and also because I get the trots now and then and a quick get away to do a number 2 is always a bonus and I get a load of bonuses like reduced official car parking etc etc.

Now I WAS thinking of getting my first ever season ticket at Torquay even though I don't go to many home games and it is £415 in the bench.

Derby v Chelsea et al for £46 more a season than Torquay v Welling et al?
A season ticket in the Bench is £365.