Latest Film You've Seen

General chat about anything else goes here.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

ferrarilover wrote:
This gets on my tits. It's a movie, you know it's a movie, you're told it's a movie, it's on a movie channel, so don't complain when it's not a documentary. I don't complain when stuff on The Discovery Channel doesn't have Bruce Willis or a man shooting down a 747 with a water pistol, because that's not what it's for.
Newsflash: the work of A&E Doctors is treating endless cases of the flu and broken arms, it's f*** all like Casualty. Juries mainly find people guilty inside the first 10 minutes of the trial, based on the appearance of the accused, it's f*** all like '12 Angry Men'. Being a policeman mainly involves hiding in a bush catching people speeding, it's bugger all like The Bill. If we broadcast historically and factually accurate television programmes, do you know what we end up with? Big Brother. Just some arseholes sitting about doing f*** all, Erich is basically all that ever happens to real people. That's precisely what makes movies and television entertaining, it shows a caracature of real life
Two hours of watching a real MI6 field agent would vote to death even a train spotting enthusiast, James Bond, on the other hand...

Matt.

'kin ell', somebodys a little bit prickly this evening, calm down dear!

Matt, I agree with you in the point that its a movie and should be treated as such. I agree if many subjects werent given the "Hollywood treatment" or "sexed up" for a film or series then they would be boring. But Titanic didnt need that, there was more than enough story and things to show for entertainment value without resorting to blatant, outright lies. Nobody said the film Titanic was meant to be a history lesson, we all knew before watching it there were 2 main stories going on, the fictional love story symbolising the many stories unfolding all over the Titanic, intertwined with the famous, very real sinking of the ship.

James cameron did say at the time he wanted an accurate portrayal of the sinking and to make the film as it should be. It is a great piece of cinema, I used to really love the film but now find bits of it corny.

The bit that really annoys me about the film which i refer to as being woefully, historically inaccurate is when first officer William Murdoch shoots 2 passengers and then himself. This did not happen and it was a grossly unfair portrayal of a man who did his best in extremely difficult circumstances, a man who many have credited with being one of the heroes during the tragic event.

This part may have been a bit of dramatisation or making it more exciting, but it was about a real person, if it had been totally made up and the person also, then fine. It added nothing to the film or story though so what was the point in destroying this mans reputation.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

The Lego Movie.

Excellent - go and see it.

Mr Peabody and Sherman.

Not as good - nipper enjoyed it, but I found it boring in parts.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DJ Gull »

Probably already mentioned here somewhere but Wolf of Wall street! Fantastic!
To the dotted line, We're on our way
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Chunks, that wasn't a dig at you specifically, it just fairnes happens to have been your post which prompted it.

I see your point about Murdoch and I agree that the movie would have been none the worse without it. That said, anyone stupid enough to base their opinion of a real man based on 6 seconds of a movie is simply too stupid to account for.
Artistic licence allows that these things happen, just take a look at the portrayal of WWII in every Hollywood movie ever. It's always a mud bath full of dead people until the heroic Yankie Doodle Dandies arrive to kill all the baddies and fornicate with all the pretty, sex starved locals. If anyone outside North America (have you been there? They all think that's how it happened) believes that line to be historically accurate, then they deserve their fate.

So, agree it was an unnecessary sullying of the good name of a good Officer, disagree that it should have any bearing on the reputation of what is an excellent film.

Yes, it's extremely corny, and, oddly for a movie about an historical event, it doesn't seem to have aged very well. Perhaps because it was such a success, and the actors have each gone on to have extremely fine careers?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Just seen the autocorrect in my original post. I'm not sure how my phone turned 'because' into 'Erich', but it did.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

Watched 'Dredd' the other day, not a lot else on.

it was ok, watchable and miles better than the Stallone original (although that hardly makes it a cinematic masterpiece).

Then I watched 'The Lavender Hill Mob' (1951) with Alec Guinness.
Absolute classic. (£)
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Gullscorer wrote: Must see. A certain Oscar winner.
One thing Matt and I agree on...!!! :-D

Err, actually no. I understand why Hollywood awarded it the Best Film Oscar, but it's actually a sanctimonious OTT black and white representation of all whites as evil villains and all blacks as victims, well-acted but boringly directed and photographed with over-long shots. Alex Haley's Roots was much better. Not that it's a bad film; it won Oscars after all, and it should be seen, and compared with the over-rated heap of space junk that is Gravity, 12 Years a Slave looks like the greatest film ever made. Except that they don't make films like they used to in cinema's golden era, more's the pity.

Oh, and I'll forecast next year's winner in January 2015... :~D
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

Bloody thing logged me out so here goes again!

Somebody Marry Barry - Well, I had never heard of this film but I watched it because there was nothing else on, I was pleasantly surprised and glad I did. It was a good bit of fun and I laughed my ass off costantly through it. There is a lot of cringe-making, embarrassing humour but it is worth a watch, bear in mind though I am very immature and not very grown up at times. :~D

The film is about a group of blokes who have been friends since they were kids. As the narrator says one of their crew Barry is prone to embarrassing everyone, innapropriate behaviour, putting his foot in it, being socially unaware, he is not able to talk to women in a proper way and can be a bit of a moron. Apparently every group of friends of all ages has a guy like Barry (from experience I find it hard to argue that point).

Laugh out loud funny, some uncomfortable humour, shows a bit of a soft side, with heart and character likeability. 8/10

Bernie - Not the usual sort of offering that you would see Jack Black in, but an entertaining one none the less. I wasnt sure about this film at first but as it rolled on I became more and more intrigued and found it compelling viewing. Eventually i realised it was based on a true story and I had seen a documentary of the real life character Bernie Tiede who caused a huge shock to the residents where he lived in a small town in Texas. Bernie was very popular, well known and liked., being the town mortician, choir master, fund raiser, volunteer, pillar of the community and all round good egg.

The film was so intriguing after i watched it I googled the case and spent quite a while reading about it. The film seems a bit quirky at first but I realised they were interweaving real life interviews and clips with the dramatisation and it just draws you in as it adds a good mix of humour, story then twists and drama. 8/10
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

Cloud Atlas - What the f**k was that all about! Nearly 3 hours (seemed like longer) of a mish mash of many interconnecting stories all at different eras of time and what seems to be different planets or dimensions. I just about followed it but had to watch it in about 4 sittings whilst constantly rewinding. I had to google it to work out what the hell was going on, lo and behold I wasnt the only one. Before I had finished typing what is Cloud Atlas about google finshed the question for me.

Apparently the book is better than the film, although the film has a stellar cast which is the main thing that makes it watchable. Just a bit slow, arty and pretentious for me. 5/10.

This Is The End - Good bit of fun really, a bit of indulgence by the makers and actors of this film. Its all actors, celebrities and entertainers playing caricature or imagined versions of themselves. The main players are the actors that are usually in gross out or crude humour comedies so you can imagine what this is like. The film starts off innocuous enough with a lot of laughs at a hollywood party and then an earthquake hits which changes everything. 8/10

The Casting Couch - A group of La friends decide a good way to meet and possibly become romantically involved with glamorous women they could only dream about is to host auditions for a fake movie. Surprisingly entertaining enough and although low budget worth a look. 7/10

Whole Lotta Sole A story involving an American with Irish family ties who flees a mobster in the States to hide out in a quaint Irish town, a few misunderstandings and shenanigans lead to trouble with the police, an Irish gangster and an irate Irish mammy. 7/10

Monsters University - This prequel to Monsters Inc had me feeling a bit dubious considering it is so long since the original, the trailers didnt look very good and it smacked of just trying to cash in for the sake of it, but the film is really good, very funny, very entertaining and I thought it was just as good as the original. 9/10
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

The best (1):
[youtube]Am6TiZV5COo[/youtube]
[youtube]8H-VIdLD_28[/youtube]
Last edited by Gullscorer on 01 Apr 2014, 14:03, edited 1 time in total.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

The best (2):
[youtube]wzTgoEJVNew[/youtube]
[youtube]SMYAzQC3UjI[/youtube]
Associated with this: The Choice:
And her Nobel Prize speech:
Last edited by Gullscorer on 04 Apr 2014, 13:29, edited 2 times in total.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Escape from Huang Shi:
[youtube]BrJIqZ3-he4[/youtube]

and this one: Flowers of War (Christian Bale):
[youtube]AZDpFZBgkA4[/youtube]
Official trailer here:
[youtube]SyLWcCWaFPU[/youtube]
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

Right, well I logged in last night and wrote all this out, when I previewed I found I had been logged out again and then lost all of it. To say I was a bit annoyed and lost my rag was an understatement so I did write this lot on wordpad. How does that happen though? :@

World War Z - Brad Pitt gives a very good performance as usual in this film playing a character who has to travel the world to find a cure for a virus which when infected turns human beings into ravenous, crazed, zombie-like creatures.

Brad, despite now being 50 years old, yes, 50 (doesnt look a day over 35), gets beleagured, attacked, battered, beaten, bruised, dishevelled and nearly killed countless times whilst really having to rough it, yet manages to still be a right good looking b@stard! :@

Even if you dont like films of this genre this is entertaining, very good, clever, twisty, suspenseful, gripping, edge of your seat stuff.

I have watched every episode of the tv series The Walking dead which has been brilliantly entertaining with which the story and tension is always built superbly and the zombie or walkers moments are frightening and very gory at times.

However they havent got anything on the creatures in World War Z, those things move very fast and unlike Walking Dead when the human dies and comes back as a zombie it happens very quickly and not after a few hours, giving potential victims not much chance.
The way the creatures move is like Tazmanian Devil on coke and speed, add to that a ravenous hunger like an obese bloke stood in the reduced section of a supermarket bakery aisle. :-o

So i thoroughly recommend you to switch off the lights, grab some munchies,a few drinks and a spare pair of pants and watch this! 9/10 :-D

Footnote: New Doctor Who Peter Capaldi makes an appearance near the end of this film, he plays a Doctor for the World Health Organisation. This film came out just before Capaldi was announced as Doctor Who. This prompted fans to point out that Capaldi had played a W.H.O. Doctor and now he will be Doctor Who.

Get it? Get it? Oh b0ll0cks, I'm such a Fanboy! :no:

Trouble With The Curve - If you are a fan of Clint Eastwoods more recent career where he usually plays a grumpy, grizzly, cantankerous, moody old git who delivers brilliant and witty,
withering insults and one-liners, then you will like this.

The film is an entetaining tale about behind the scenes of baseball scouting, whilst showing the sad effects of old age, how things are different in the modern techno 21st century as well as exploring complex family issues which explain the tough decisions a parent has to make.

In this film you also see how difficult young sporting talents can be and how at times some of them are far too spoilt, cocky, arrogant, selfish, and too big for their boots even before they have actually acheived or accomplished anything (doesnt happen in football :} ).

Again a very watchable, entertaining film. 8/10

Grown ups 2 - I loved the first one and I dont care what critics say, but I really like this also! Critics panned this, just as they did its predecessor, but then again they pan every Adam Sandler film, probably half the time without even watching them.

Granted they are not the best films ever but they are just a bit of harmless entertainment, you dont have to think much, just sit back, watch and have a bit of a laugh. I have to admit I couldnt stop laughing through the whole film, its quite childish, gross out humour but who cares. :~D

Critics have mainly slammed the fact that the film doesnt have much story, well to be fair most of these type of comedies dont really, its mainly down to comedic dialogue or situations. Films like this are driven by the cast where the likes of Adam Sandler, Chris Rock and especially Kevin James ( apparently my lookalike) are usually likeable and charismatic, as well as at times delivering a heart warming performance. Thats why people still watch films like this. :)

How many people have watched so called critically acclaimed films or Oscar winning efforts which have been boring as hell and made you want to fall asleep? :zzz: If you want a critically acclaimed, boring, long winded, arty farty, pretententious, wordy, confusing, nonsensical, up its own arse film then watch Cloud Atlas! if you want a good laugh that doesnt make you think too much but just entertains then watch something like Grown Ups 2. :)

Story = 5/10 Dialogue and fun = 8/10