Eunan to Swindon

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Crawley have invoked the clause (that never was - £175k) but the preferred deal involves Swindon with Bodin coming this way. Di Canio might just be playing hardball.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Interesting Dave. I would assume the preferred deal with Swindon is less cash (maybe around £100k + Bodin). If so, I'd agree with that being a better deal.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I doubt we'd get that much cash to be honest mate.

Both Under 21 internationals and although Eunan has a bit more experience they are similar in potential.
Dave

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

They are nowhere near similar in potential. O'Kane is a League two star. Bodin is a bit part player who cannot hold down a regular spot in anyone's team. Suggesting that the two players are on an equal par is just claptrap.
O'kane would walk into any League 1 or League 2 team. Bodin wouldn't.
Perhaps we ought to give O'kane to Swindon and actually pay them something for Bodin.
When it comes to getting realistic valuations for our players - we are clueless. If O'Kane was at Exeter they would get half a million at least for him. We probably won't get 50k.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

That excatly the way I see it dave S/G, carried this message for a while and have been largly shouted down, the only difference between Bodin and O'kane is about 50 games, both u-21 international's and the fact that Bodin is 2 years younger on scale I have Bodin slightly ahead, in terms of develoment against age.

If our club got Bodin for O'kane think not to much damage done.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Agreed, not that I expect "stayaway" Terry to see it. They are almost identical in terms of potential, if he actually went to a few games he might see it, not that I value his opinion on anything football related anyway.

Right now Eunan is obviously the more senior player so there would be some cash coming our way but not as much as some people would expect.
Dave

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

i have seen plenty of O'Kane this season thank you. Its all about supply and demand. A player who could not hold down a regular place in Crewes side cannot be compared to a player who is probably coveted by every league 2 side and probably most in League 1.
Howvere good Bodin might be potentially makes no difference. No team would pay anything like the money for Bodin that we SHOULD be getting for O'KAne,
But this is Torquay of course.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Supply and demand, only Crawley have made a bid (so far) for O'Kane. We've made enquiries regarding Bodin, more proof that they are of similar potential...........
Dave

Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Eunan would be taking a risk by moving to Swindon if he thinks this will progress his career, as he would not be guaranteed regular first team football there with Di Canio in charge, any more than the other Swindon players.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

He won't get that guarantee anywhere if he moves up from League Two. Something Brucie doesn't seem to understand is that Eunan is still a player with potential and far from the finished article as was evidenced by his displays later in the season. I've not listed him as my favourite player for nothing though and I'm confident he can do well at a higher level in time just like I think Bodin will once he gets some experience under his belt.
Dave

Blackberry89
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by Blackberry89 »

I honestly think we'll get a good deal for O'Kane, much better than some of us may think, especially after starting agaisnt Italy and having a Solid game will only add value to him, I think a fee in the region of £300K Plus add on's will be a good deal, then perhaps we could bid £100K for Bodin as Di Canio won't let him go for anything less and of course there will be add on's in that deal. Depending on the amount of money Simon baker will let us have for transfers will depend if we can sign anyone else... I do think we need a Kuffour type player, perhaps someone like Bignall that was at City, or maybe an unproven lower league star.. someone who we can develop..
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Blackberry89 wrote:...then perhaps we could bid £100K for Bodin as Di Canio won't let him go for anything less
If we can prove that we bid £100,000 for anybody this summer, I will personally invite each and every one of you to visit me for free in the USA and I will buy everybody tickets to a New York Red Bulls or New England Revolution game.

Air fare not included; offer dependent on people actually wanting to see an MLS game :(
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I'm confused. I'm sure that if KaneO was at any other club the fee being bandied about would start at £500k and go up. Why are people saying £300 would be a good amount?

I would have though a team coming in with £500k would be a good place for them to start negotiations, with us looking for something closer to the £1m mark.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I don't disagree with you Phil but for that to happen you would need people behind the scenes with the resolve to do some tough business. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be a quality we possess.
Dave

happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

PhilGull wrote:I'm confused. I'm sure that if KaneO was at any other club the fee being bandied about would start at £500k and go up. Why are people saying £300 would be a good amount?

I would have though a team coming in with £500k would be a good place for them to start negotiations, with us looking for something closer to the £1m mark.
It seems to be commonly accepted that our board will take pretty much any offer, I think. We've seen players go for less than we expected in the recent past. I don't know if it's because of money that's still owed to Thea Bristow, or if it's simply because we're not in a financial position to play hardball. For example, as somebody looking on from a distance, it appeared to me that we were submissive to the point of putting on kneepads and crouching on the carpet when Rovers came asking about Buckle before the season had ended.

It would be nice if 'little old Torquay, the nice club by the sea' would have a bit of an edge about them in negotiations for a change.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.