New home shirt

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

personally i would rather stay away from the old style shirt.
The Farmers Friend
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by The Farmers Friend »

chunkygull wrote:WE ARE YELLOW/GOLD AND BLUE! NOT YELLOW/GOLD,BLUE AND WHITE!
For most of the 70s the predominant colour in the kit was white and nearly all the kits since have contained some degree of white. I think we've only had one kit (the Conference one) since the 60s where the yellow hue could accurately be described as gold, although that's obviously subjective (hint, hint, moaners :whistle: ).

I'm an old fart of 41 and I voted G not because of any glory days of yore but because I liked the pattern then, I liked it when it was resurrected later and I like it now. At the time of its reprise in 2000 the Capital Gulls had a 'keep the stripes' campaign going as the kit was popular then and seen as unique - something that stood us apart from the Mansfields and Shrewsburys - without compromising the club's traditional colours. Obviously it fell on deaf ears, but (some are not going to like this) I'd still be happy if we kept this style as our kit indefinitely for the reasons stated above.

Anyway, sorry if I've repeated anything - I can't believe people have got so wound up about it and I haven't bothered trawling through the whole thread.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I think I can bring something to the party here: as someone who is not influenced by memories of the successes of the previous incarnation of shirt G, I can safely say that it's the least appealing shirt there. It's like anything, fashion and trends in football shirt design move with the times and anyone wearing anything out of the ordinary is bound to look out of place.
If, as looks likely, shirt G is the winner, I give it until about mid-November until we are all thoroughly sick of being stopped in the pub/outside the ground/on the forum and being asked by away fans if it is our Centenary year or why no one has purchased a replica shirt for the last 40 years.
We'd all laugh ourselves silly if a keeper turned out in an Ian Walker-esque affair circa 1999. It's the same here, because we'll be the only ones doing it, it'll look daft.

Still, if it brings the same success that it seems it enjoyed last time round, then I'm certain we won't much care. Sadly, I'm not convinced that it will.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

ferrarilover wrote:I think I can bring something to the party here: as someone who is not influenced by memories of the successes of the previous incarnation of shirt G, I can safely say that it's the least appealing shirt there. It's like anything, fashion and trends in football shirt design move with the times and anyone wearing anything out of the ordinary is bound to look out of place.
If, as looks likely, shirt G is the winner, I give it until about mid-November until we are all thoroughly sick of being stopped in the pub/outside the ground/on the forum and being asked by away fans if it is our Centenary year or why no one has purchased a replica shirt for the last 40 years.
We'd all laugh ourselves silly if a keeper turned out in an Ian Walker-esque affair circa 1999. It's the same here, because we'll be the only ones doing it, it'll look daft.

Still, if it brings the same success that it seems it enjoyed last time round, then I'm certain we won't much care. Sadly, I'm not convinced that it will.

Matt.
Agree completely with that. I hate G. I voted but can't now for the life of me remember what I voted for. It was basically anything but G. A good post for your 4000th Matt (and that of course is not including the ones before the forum died and was resurrected)! ;-)
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

="The Farmers Friend"]="chunkygull"]WE ARE YELLOW/GOLD AND BLUE! NOT YELLOW/GOLD,BLUE AND WHITE!

For most of the 70s the predominant colour in the kit was white and nearly all the kits since have contained some degree of white. I think we've only had one kit (the Conference one) since the 60s where the yellow hue could accurately be described as gold, although that's obviously subjective (hint, hint, moaners :whistle: ).
i have just been on http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Torquay ... United.htm and yes you are bang on, we were in white from 74 to 82 and then that dodgy thing with the yellow neck and chest that i remember from 88-89.white with a yellow and blue trim looks ok.we have had away kits of that sort of design,which i have bought by the way.but the point i am making is a shirt which is predominantly yellow looks rubbish with white trim or stripes. as there are many of you who are not convinced have a look at the website, check out the history of all our kits. then those of you who particularly like shirt G pay close attention to 91-93 and 99-2001, then come back and tell me you want that again as our home kit. its not even the best kit on there from our past and bearing in mind as i said before i have not seen a really good home kit in 25 years of watching torquay.check out where they tried to keep a bit of white in 2001-03, awful.which kit in our history do you the fans think is the best? i am sure the website has been linked on here before but is worth a look with regards to this thread. yellow and blue is definitely our main colour and definitely looks best as yellow shirt,blue shorts and yellow socks.. i remember many years ago some of our older supporters stating we wore gold shirts, probably in the mid to late 50's .i am sure there was somebody from the club a few years ago who stated we shall always be keeping a predominantly yellow and blue kit. :scarf:
Last edited by chunkygull on 29 Dec 2012, 13:16, edited 2 times in total.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

I missed completely that it was my 4000th, well noticed Stef.

Jeez, I think I need to find me another hobby...

Matt.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

congratulations ferrarilover on 4000 posts.that is some going.do we know who has made the most posts on this forum ? :scarf:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

chunkygull wrote:congratulations ferrarilover on 4000 posts.that is some going.do we know who has made the most posts on this forum ? :scarf:
Bixie has made the most (4,487) followed by Southampton Gull (4204) and then Matt

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Quality, not quantity. Fortunately, unlike the other two mentioned on that list, I manage both. :devil:

Matt.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

does anybody know which thread/posting had the most views or replies?
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Word association will be biggest for both, with the three word story coming a close* second.

Matt.

*not close at all.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

to all those who have voted G or thinking about voting for it,check this out and see the kit in its first incarnation, then come back and tell us if you still want it as our new shirt.

as i said before a bit of distance does strange things, you can hardly pick out any yellow and the shirt appears to be a dodgy cream/magnolia colour. :scarf:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Loved the shirt then and still in love with it now.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

chunkygull wrote:to all those who have voted G or thinking about voting for it,check this out and see the kit in its first incarnation, then come back and tell us if you still want it as our new shirt.

as i said before a bit of distance does strange things, you can hardly pick out any yellow and the shirt appears to be a dodgy cream/magnolia colour. :scarf:
Thanks Chunky - just reminded me how good that kit looked in action! More than happy with my G vote! :-D :scarf:
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

The Farmers Friend wrote:

I'm an old fart of 41 and I voted G not because of any glory days of yore but because I liked the pattern then, I liked it when it was resurrected later and I like it now. At the time of its reprise in 2000 the Capital Gulls had a 'keep the stripes' campaign going as the kit was popular then and seen as unique - something that stood us apart from the Mansfields and Shrewsburys - without compromising the club's traditional colours. Obviously it fell on deaf ears, but (some are not going to like this) I'd still be happy if we kept this style as our kit indefinitely for the reasons stated above.

Anyway, sorry if I've repeated anything - I can't believe people have got so wound up about it and I haven't bothered trawling through the whole thread.
I always liked the yellow and white stripes because it was unique. Matchwinner were the original suppliers back in '91 and it was a revolutionary take on our colours. (It was partner by a purple away kit, identical in design to one sported by Notts County) It is often linked with our promotion play-off victory at Wembley against Blackpool but sadly, what followed was a dreadful season, in what is now League 1, where Impey was sacked early on (but too late in my view), Wes Saunders was caretaker for most of the season and then Ivan Golac took over when we were virtually already down. The season after, in the same kit, we nearly went down again, with the even worse Paul Compton as manager, until Neil Warnock saved the day.

It was a unique design but was scrapped in favour of the yellow and blue (with white) hoops that we wore the season we lost to Preston in the play-offs. In fact Don O'Riordan had built a decent team on the cheap, with Goodridge, Buckle, Trollope et al. This kit was also supplied by matchwinner.

A range of templates and designs were used until around 2000 when Superleague were kit suppliers and the re-introduced the yellow and white stripes in an identical template to the previous version. I remember away to Exeter we wore white shorts with it and I liked that and it linked back to my time starting to watch Torquay (late 70s) when we wore white, with yellow and a bit of blue.

As Farmer states, there was a Save Our Stripes campaign, when the kit was up for renewal, as fans liked the fact the kit was unique. However, the kit was worn during one decent season when we finished about 9th and then the year of Barnet when we early went down. So for 3 of the 4 years we have worn that design, it has been for teams fighting against relegation. The superstitious part of me thinks we are due a relegation struggle anyway and this kit might just confirm it. Also, both times we have had it before seem to be linked to Wes Saunders. He was captain and caretaker manager the first time and then manager the 2nd time. Lets hope a 3rd time does not see a 3rd coming!!

The Save Our Stripes campaign was unsuccessful and Mike Bateson actually told me that the reason he did not keep the stripes was that unless the new design was 'different' people would be less likely to buy it. The inference being that another kit with stripes, would be too similar to the previous one and as such people would wear the old one. In fact there was some truth in this, as you did see a revival of people wearing the 1991 kit instead of buying the 2000 version as the designs were virtually identical. Yet other teams who wear stripes, eg Exeter, don't radically alter the kit each year, so there is a precedent for the use of stripes and persisting with them. However, there is little point having a striped kit for two years and then going back to, say, all yellow. I hate the way lower league teams don't respect tradition in the same way clubs like Arsenal, Blackburn, Newcastle do. You can play around with designs but keep the basic design the same.

My main gripe with the choice of G is that it appears to be the exact same template as 1991 and 2000. Why not have a modern update of the yellow and white stripes? It doesn't have to be a 90s style collar. It doesn't even have to have a collar. G looks dated. I have no problem with stripes, I always liked them, but I do have a problem with a kit that looks - not retro and cool - but simply old-fashioned and out of date.