Torquay United v York City - 5/10/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Listening to Knill after the game he sounded very stressed.
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

gullsfanatic1986 wrote:Having not really seen the forum for a very long time or been too fussed about what is said on here. The stories regarding nico have annoyed me so much that ive had to speak up. I speak to nico regularly and hearing people saying he stormed in to want a loan move is a pile of garbage!!!! He did nothing of the sought and is desperate to stay. And before people say 'prove it' blah blah blah.... its complete fact and I dont have to prove anything
The facts are he was dropped for the game against Cheltenham which we went on to win so looking at a probable amount of time on the sidelines and being asked to play in the reserve fixture at yeovil, He didn't like this and went into the managers office. Now the conversation in that office happened to be between two people so it would have remained private unless kev or knill leaked that. Knill has made a statement that says " I was surprised more than anyone when Kevin asked to go out on loan" now instead of fighting for his place like Tom cruise has done for the last 18 months Kevin took the petulant line after being out of the team for 1 game in asking for a loan. He then travelled on his own to the yeovil game deciding he is above the others who went on the coach. And then the mighty kev had a bloody mare which resulted in us getting our arses slapped. If he would have just waited he would have been back in the team like he is now and nobody would have been the wiser. Here is the link where knill says he asked for the loan move so I really don't understand what part of this is lies.

http://m.thisisdevon.co.uk/story.html?aid=19844003
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

So its fair to say that Nico's actions are actually a disgrace in my view.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

TufcHills wrote:Yeah
Alright, I'll forgive you then. I do most of my posting from my phone and it's a pain to amend long posts.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
gullsfanatic1986
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Hargreaves

Post by gullsfanatic1986 »

We are taking the word of what the club have said. Never trust what you read........ and to think that kev would just turn his back on the club and say screw you?!?!?! If you believe that then you will believe anything. I came on here to say what I know is truth. Take from it what you will. Not too bothered
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Knill actually said in a radio interview that Nicholson asked to go out on loan.
kkkkwagon
Trialist
Trialist

Post by kkkkwagon »

Im sorry supergull but again that is not the full truth. Yes kev went into knill to see what was happening and this was not just because of being dropped for 1 game. He certainly did not travel to the yeovil game alone because he thinks he is so special. Unless you know truth i can not understand why you would be so blatantly disrespectful and make out like kev thinks he is the god almighty of torquay. He has never thought this and never would.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

brucie wrote:Who exactly are our four centre backs though. Pearce and Downes were obviously huge misses at the back and obviously that had a massive effect on the result yesterday. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool. Mckenzie is too young to be a viable altenative so going into the season without a third centre back was a massive mistake by Knill.
Its laughable that you claim we were unlucky because Harding went off injured when you have persistently slagged him off as being useless all season.
Does anyone know what the problem is with Pearce and how long he is going to be out for? - if he isn't returning next week then we need another loan signing of an experienced centre half. And we probably need a loan goalkeeper as well.
As for Nicholson - asking for a loan move after being dropped for one game is disgraceful, and as soon as Knill is able he should loan him out to Bideford for the rest of the season.
We have four options at CB, Hutchings, MacKenzie, Pearce and Downer. Hutch isn't a proper CB, but could fill in there for a game. MacKenzie is an amplev replacement for a game or two. What's happened here is that we havelost both first choice centre backs to long term injury/illness within 20 minutes of each other. No team in L2 could deal with that. We can't carry more than two long term first choice centre backs, we simply can't afford it. Knill, as any manager, relies that if one first choice player in one position gets injured, he can use the stop gap reserve to conpensate until a loanee replacement can be found. To lose both in the same day is extremely rare and cannot be legislated against, we simply don't have the money.
What I've actually done is criticise Harding for the first 4 or 5 games, then go remarkably and conspicuously quiet about him. He's been improving steadily and yesterday he was pretty good until he went off, leaving the worst player in the squad criminally exposed. Maybe it was the opposition? Maybe York are to Harding as Burton were to Stevens? Who knows, but the [opinion disguised as] fact remains that losing Harding yesterday changed the game immeasurably.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

kkkkwagon wrote:Im sorry supergull but again that is not the full truth. Yes kev went into knill to see what was happening and this was not just because of being dropped for 1 game. He certainly did not travel to the yeovil game alone because he thinks he is so special. Unless you know truth i can not understand why you would be so blatantly disrespectful and make out like kev thinks he is the god almighty of torquay. He has never thought this and never would.
Because I wouldn't post anything that I know isn't fact he travelled to the yeovil game in his own car and Damon Lathrope was in the car with him, now tell me I'm wrong. I think I know a lot more than you think I know and a lot of posters on here will back me up that I'm notmally spot on.
kkkkwagon
Trialist
Trialist

Post by kkkkwagon »

Yes he travelled to yeovil in the car but no this is not for the reason you stated. You may no alot but i assure you i no the exact truth and while i am unable to state exactly what has happened on here it is fair to say there is alot more to all this than is being said. Everyone who knows kev will no how down to earth he is and laid back so its not like everytime he gets dropped he will throw his dummy out. He would never want to leave torquay and if he could fight for his place he would as he has over the previous years of his career. He has been in the proffession long enough to no that you just dont get a place in the team automatically and everyday you have to fight for your place.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Nicho has long been my favourite player because he is the model pro. I do not wish to get into an argument with anyone but I do think these character assassinations on playing staff are completely detrimental to our plight.

I would like to point out that the insinuation that he travelled alone is a lot different to travelling to a game with Damon Lathrope (ie not 'alone'), there could have been any number of reasons why they had to go in a separate car and until we know the facts it would be remiss of us to speculate.

I would argue that if Nicho was acting as petulantly as some people have mooted, he would have flatly refused to play in the reserve match and done a no show. He turned up, he played, he acted as a professional. Would I expect a player with 300 appearances under his belt to react well to being dropped? No. But In the last two matches I do think he's performed steadily.

I feel he is unfairly scapegoated at times and whilst he isn't at the same standard as 2 or 3 years ago, people are far too quick to focus on the negatives, rather than the positives.

This sort of chat about players is not healthy, I for one hope Nicho sticks around, his experience will be vital, he has a big part to play still. Once again it's a case of the full story not being published. Only two people will know for sure, 100% what was said in conversation between Knill and Nicholson, and that's the two themselves, until one of them speaks the full truth (and neither will) any speculation is pure hearsay and adding more poison to a situation that is quickly escalating out of control.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

kkkkwagon wrote:Yes he travelled to yeovil in the car but no this is not for the reason you stated. You may no alot but i assure you i no the exact truth and while i am unable to state exactly what has happened on here it is fair to say there is alot more to all this than is being said. Everyone who knows kev will no how down to earth he is and laid back so its not like everytime he gets dropped he will throw his dummy out. He would never want to leave torquay and if he could fight for his place he would as he has over the previous years of his career. He has been in the proffession long enough to no that you just dont get a place in the team automatically and everyday you have to fight for your place.
You no knothing :~D
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

It's a really silly situation to get into and not what we need right now!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Whether or not he travelled by himself it presumably cannot be disputed (unless Knill is lying which I doubt) that Nicholson asked to be loaned out after being dropped for one game.
So from the outside looking in please tell me how those are the actions of a contented player?
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

Back to beyond square one - yes we have to cope with injuries etc and new players getting to know one another, but we have to face up and recognise that our current style of play/formation must change in accordance with the unavailabilities and the dire need for points. Why can the professional mananagement not see what we mere amateur spectators see?- that we need to bulk up the midfield in order to have more control and to create real chances.
This will be especially crucial without our first-choice defence. And it does require our strikers to actually work the keeper - York took their few chances from close-in, we failed to do so and surrendered three valuable points.
From the kick-off against Cheltenham we played a controlled pass-and-move purposeful tempo with good support (midfield close together, strikers close together, wingers actively involved), so why not continue against York?
And any player who regularly goes missing during a match and provides neither assists/goals nor defensive cover should not be an automatic selection.
Change the system before it is too late, as opponents know only too well our weaknesses and how to counteract our loose 4-2-4 formation; they also know that with only one clean sheet kept this league season one goal is likely to be enough to win...