Torquay United v Scunthorpe United - 5/4/14

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

I was embarassed to be a Torquay fan today at times. We were poor. And here's the thing - I don't mean the team. WE were poor.

I appreciate that people are frustrated. I appreciate that there are others who have invested more time and money in following this team this year than I have, and the attitude of some people is "I've paid my money, I deserve to shout whatever I want". Let me ask you this: Do you boo when you don't win the lottery? Do you shout abuse at the projector in cinema screens if you don't enjoy the film? Probably not. I struggle to believe that people think negative chants achieve anything. The players can hear you.

Particularly all that chanting towards the end about getting relegated. I very nearly moved, I didn't want to be associated with that rubbish. Maybe I am in the minority here but I refuse to get sucked into mob memtality. I believe you pay your money, you get behind the team no matter what and say what you like AFTER the game. Otherwise you're doing more harm than good.

You are part of the problem, not part of the solution.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

stefano wrote: Absolutely. Somebody asked why a defender was taking a penalty. Complete nonsense as defenders are often the best penalty takers. It's the presuure thing and being used to it. A forward knows if he cocks up in the box the score remains the same and nobody really remembers it. A defender knows if he cocks up in the box it is a goal down. Simple really ... and that is why defenders are better at penalties than forwards (just ask Robin Stubbs ... he was crap at them and would tell you John Bond (a full back) would be a lot better bet! ;-)
If you're referring to me I actually asked why none of our strikers were ripping the ball off Tonge to take the pen. Any striker who doesn't back himself to score from 12 yards needs to take a long look at himself.

I haven't heard the interview but many have said that the pen was taken by whoever wanted it most. The fact none of our forwards did speaks volumes.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper

Post by DevonYellow »

bobby93 wrote:I was embarassed to be a Torquay fan today at times. We were poor. And here's the thing - I don't mean the team. WE were poor.

I appreciate that people are frustrated. I appreciate that there are others who have invested more time and money in following this team this year than I have, and the attitude of some people is "I've paid my money, I deserve to shout whatever I want". Let me ask you this: Do you boo when you don't win the lottery? Do you shout abuse at the projector in cinema screens if you don't enjoy the film? Probably not. I struggle to believe that people think negative chants achieve anything. The players can hear you.

Particularly all that chanting towards the end about getting relegated. I very nearly moved, I didn't want to be associated with that rubbish. Maybe I am in the minority here but I refuse to get sucked into mob memtality. I believe you pay your money, you get behind the team no matter what and say what you like AFTER the game. Otherwise you're doing more harm than good.

You are part of the problem, not part of the solution.
After the crap we've suffered this season I think the fans should be commended for sticking by the team until game 41!
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

EddUK12 wrote:Devonyellow your forgetting that prices will be frozen for next season so supporters should be thankfull and applaud the hard work that the team and club do for them, in sure thats how they see it but they dont live in the real world
I trust you are being sarcastic here?
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

The chanting near the end was unnecessary but it shows the level of frustration

The sooner this season is over the better, no wonder the crowd numbers are up when we are winning games regardless of te league!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper

Post by DevonYellow »

PlainmoorRoar wrote:The chanting near the end was unnecessary but it shows the level of frustration

The sooner this season is over the better, no wonder the crowd numbers are up when we are winning games regardless of te league!
What was being chanted at the end?
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

DevonYellow wrote: What was being chanted at the end?
Well, if it is what I think is being referred to, when Hargreaves took Coulthirst off, the entire ground booed and then some on the pop started chanting 'that's why we're going down, that's why we're going down...' this was loudest at the Ellacombe End of the Pop Side. I didn't look to see if Simon Baker joined in with the chant!!!!
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper

Post by DevonYellow »

hector wrote: Well, if it is what I think is being referred to, when Hargreaves took Coulthirst off, the entire ground booed and then some on the pop started chanting 'that's why we're going down, that's why we're going down...' this was loudest at the Ellacombe End of the Pop Side. I didn't look to see if Simon Baker joined in with the chant!!!!
Heard all that as stand that end second half. The whole ground was booing. Then laughing in disbelief.

Didn't know if I'd missed something in the middle at the end.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

hector wrote: Well, if it is what I think is being referred to, when Hargreaves took Coulthirst off, the entire ground booed and then some on the pop started chanting 'that's why we're going down, that's why we're going down...' this was loudest at the Ellacombe End of the Pop Side. I didn't look to see if Simon Baker joined in with the chant!!!!
And also ' you don't know what you're doing'

I understand why CH took Shaq off he was tiring after running his ass off and not being match fit!

However given what he had done in the game people were also going to react that way, escpecially as the poor Bodin was still on the pitch
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

"Let's pretend we scored a goal" and "Let's pretend we're staying up" were the best chants from the middle yesterday!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

In all fairness the team played well yesterday first half and if we had scored the penalty who knows. Bodin seems to have come in for stick but he was the reason that we played well first half and nearly all attacks came through him. If Hargreaves had played Lathrope infront the back four on his own and Mansell up higher on the pitch Bodin could have move forward more to join Hawley. The team was set up to protect the back four as Mansell and Lathrope were disciplined and Mansell played very well first half as he played within himself. Most of the attacking first half came through Bodin as he kept the passing going.
If Marquis was still with us and Knill had played a 4-1-3-2 he would have been still in a job here. Hargreave realised he made a mistake with the substitutions after five minutes of making them and put Bodin back in the middle but at that stage of the game he was tired and Craig would have been the better option. I think that this is a better way of playing as we had good possession but we do need a few different players next season.
If the penalty had gone in we could be reading from a different hymn book. This was one of the better sides in the league and all those who say it's a crap league should ask theirselves if Torquay were in the top six would they be saying that, then to a Plymouth supporter. Hargreaves may have found a better way of playing but this should have been found earlier. Geof Harrop played near this formation against Morcombe. I know we did not score but with a tweak of putting Coulthirst in the middle during game might do the trick and a nominated penalty taker what a bad decision that was.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Gutted to hear the news about Geoff. Never met the guy but grew up with his wife. Absolutely gutted and sad for her, certainly put things in perspective.

RIP Geoff and Sue will be thinking of you xx
yeovilgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by yeovilgull »

As others have said, there's nothing wrong in a full back taking a penalty but he needs to be a designated penalty taker and practising them regularly in training. I can't say whether that's the case with Tonge or not but his attempt would suggest not. Ironically, if a Nicholson had been on the pitch he would have been favourite to take it (another fullback).
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I am not saying there is any difference between a striker or fulback but at a pro club the've got all week to sort out who's taking the penalties there could have been two practicing but we have none.
There should have been a nominated penalty taker, it's different taking a penalty in a match to training it's lessons to learn. :keepie:
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

PlainmoorRoar wrote:The chanting near the end was unnecessary but it shows the level of frustration
I understand the frustration, I really do. But I don't understand the chanting and never will. It's completely counter productive and only serves to drive a wedge between the players and the fans. Aren't we supposed to be "all in this together"?
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele