Pre-Season Friendly

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Staggo
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Briscoe

Post by Staggo »

drummergull90 wrote:Thought we were OK today against a good Newport side. Impressed by both Hurst and Butler. Also thought number 11 looked a real threat. Ajala with better delivery. Is he ours?

We are going 3-5-2 which is bold for a conference side. Exodus looked pretty handy in the centre of the three. His throws are going to cause carnage. We really need a midfield enforcer.

Decent crowd just thankful that there's still a club to support. On today's evidence I'm not expecting us to compete properly until Christmas, there's a lot of work to be done.
This sentence is worth taking notice of.

In Coxy's first season in charge of us, (Finished in the play off's, and 3rd in the table) We were 15 points off the top at Christmas

In his second season (Promoted as Champions) We were 11 points off the pace in January
Won 21 out of the last 24 games, only losing 2...A stupid win ratio, which will be hard for any team, in any league to equal (including Barcelona!)

In his third season (League 2) We lost 9 out of 10 games in the run up to Christmas, and then went on a very good run in the New Year, to eventually finish a very creditable 11th place in our first season back in League 2 (in the season you were relegated)

You need to give PC time to find his feet, and the time to adjust the club properly to successful non league football. (It may sound harsh to some on here, but in Coxy's head, you had a pretty poor season last time, given the size of your club)

He'll be looking to change that, but it will take a bit of time to bring everyone into his line of thinking.

You lads (and Ladies) are in for a bit of a roller coaster, but you have to get behind Coxy and his theories.

He'll sort things for you, given a little time and plenty of leeway.

Good luck chaps! ... Hoping to see you back in the FL very soon!

Cheers
Staggo from Mansfield
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Get where your coming from Staggo, I've got no problem with giving PC time, although I didn't go yesterday, I do realise summer recruitment isn't done, it will take time to gel, new manager and new team, it just isn't going to happen over night.
Last edited by Dave on 19 Jul 2015, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Gullscorer wrote:No problem, Forever.. :)
See, you knew what I meant, I have special permission from the grammar police.. :)
Formerly known as forevertufc
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Permission? Or d'you mean concessions, for those above a certain age..?? :)

Anyway, next game Wednesday 22 July 7:30 pm, home to Yeovil. Could be that a few of the youngsters who helped win the Weymouth tournament for us on Saturday will appear in this game. http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 56596.aspx

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

What i don't understand about the last two games is why we are looking at 2 young keepers with no experience of this league or experience of being a first team keeper. We've got one of those already who we may as well play if this is all we're looking at.

I know we are financially tight but surely if we are going to get a keeper it has to be an experienced one who can deal with a young team and a newly built back 4?
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I can only presume that Cox has seen enough in Lavercombe to think that with Exodus organising the back four he is good enough to take the number one jersey and would rather spend the limited amounts of cash he has further up the pitch. I am surprised we are looking at signing a younger keeper on a permanent deal though, I would have though if Lavercombe was going to be first choice we would look at bringing in a 'youth loan' as cover...
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

nope. we have brought in builders.. new design of mobile walling ensure relevant goal for each half is shut up tight
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Techie
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Techie »

AlexGulls wrote:
Bit on the website about it now. I only know who scored through Twitter and had never heard of any of them. Though for those that care we the ones who scored were Ollie Pearce and Liam Quinn in the 2-0 win against Bournemouth (http://www.afcb.co.uk/news/article/tour ... 56113.aspx) and Tevin Summerfield and Ollie Pearce scored against Weymouth.
(http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/sport/13463 ... ent_prize/) also notes we had Gus Jauss and goalkeeper Matt Cafer playing for us.
It was Liam Prynn* who scored not Quinn as their write up said. Good to see him starting to hit back of net, did well as a youth team player with 23 goals last season.
cosmic74
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by cosmic74 »

Anyone at the game that can give us an update please! I'm stuck in work :'(
I live for matchdays!!!!
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

cosmic74 wrote:Anyone at the game that can give us an update please! I'm stuck in work :'(
Live tweets here https://x.com/TUFC1899

We are down 2-1 after Briscoe gave Torquay the lead in the 1. half.
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
cosmic74
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by cosmic74 »

Thanks Rickl
I live for matchdays!!!!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Lowdown on the new faces (and some who aren't so new):

Bayan Fenwick is a midfieler/forward, formally on the books of Cardiff and Crystal Palace who has since had spells at Eastbourne Borough in the Conf South and Boston in Conf North

Jarne Moulton - no idea, typo on the twitter feed perhaps?

Sam Topliss - ex Hull City, played for North Ferriby in the FA Trophy final

Fabian Speiss - German Notts County keeper who has had a spell at Brizzle Rovers last season (and scored rather too many OG's!)