New Owners

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Plainmoor78 wrote: Steve was a fan who became an employee and worked hard for the thing he loved. And by the sound of it was treated like sh*t. After that kind of experience I am not surprised he has lost his faith, it would be humiliating to go to Plainmoor and hand over your hard earned money at the turnstile knowing that the very people who shat on you are looking down from the directors box.
I also chose to make this decision a few years ago based upon the same premise that i'd had enough of being treated like a moron by the football club I supported. Not once, not twice but many many times over many many years. I wonder if Steve will get the same abuse I did for making the same decision ;-)

Steve does right. This football club is run by idiots and has been (Thea and Steve excluded - and perhaps one or two others who I will give the benefit of the doubt) for the past God knows how many years. They don't care about you or the club, will never care about you or the club and will never do what's best for you or the club. Just my opinion.

The day when you all get together as a united group of fans and get a TUFC that you all own and all run together is the day when you will finally be able to stick two fingers up at 'this group' or 'that consortium' and not even have to give them the time of day. No external parties will be able to do jack shit to the club or it's fans because you'll all do it yourselves.

If Steve Breed has really decided to call it a day as a Torquay fan then someone has SERIOUSLY pissed him off.

COYY!! :scarf:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I actually havn't a clue what is happening with the new owners at all but the one thing that does seem clear is that Nicholson is signing some pretty decent players at this level that don't come cheap.

Blissett was banging goals in like they were going out of fashion last year. Does anyone think he has signed for £250 a week, Then theres Brett Williams, Luke Young, Brendan Moore and now Sparks who seems to be an excellent signing.

The money for these signings must be coming from somewhere.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

This club has been running on empty ever since mike bateson decided to part with it. The bristow's money merely papered over the cracks, but be honest we didn't care because we thought the good times would never end despite there being plenty examples of clubs getting into trouble when misfortune befell their benefactors (Gretna being a prime example). The club is in the position it is now because of poor decision making over a long period of time, notably the failure to develop alternative income streams, which seems to be something that lies behind a number of successful non league clubs. We have now reached the stage where the future of the club depends totally on the outcome of the GI bid. If this fails to materialise then things could get really choppy. Unfortunately I do not know the best way for the fans to proceed, but if things do go tits up at least some people on this forum can console themselves by saying told you so.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

brucie wrote:I actually havn't a clue what is happening with the new owners at all but the one thing that does seem clear is that Nicholson is signing some pretty decent players at this level that don't come cheap.

Blissett was banging goals in like they were going out of fashion last year. Does anyone think he has signed for £250 a week, Then theres Brett Williams, Luke Young, Brendan Moore and now Sparks who seems to be an excellent signing.

The money for these signings must be coming from somewhere.

You're right apart from the last bit. The players have all signed as free agents, no fee and wages within our strict budget. Yes he is building a very decent squad but we have salaries to pay, not transfer fees. My concern is how we pay their wages for a whole season if the decision to sell half our attendance their season ticket for half the price of normal home tickets comes back to bite us in the arse.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Southampton Gull wrote:

You're right apart from the last bit. The players have all signed as free agents, no fee and wages within our strict budget. Yes he is building a very decent squad but we have salaries to pay, not transfer fees. My concern is how we pay their wages for a whole season if the decision to sell half our attendance their season ticket for half the price of normal home tickets comes back to bite us in the arse.
Last season we averaged 1800 with 500(?) season ticket holders. So 1300 paying full price on the gate.

I guess the hope is that we can average 2500 with a good start next season. So with 1100 season tickets sold thats 1400 paying full price. The season tickets are obviously a lot cheaper though.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Different scale I know, but GI aint in the big league.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/investing/bu ... -stadiums/
TUST MEMBER
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I appreciate that the players are free agents and we have a "strict budget" as you put it. I also appreciate that we may have a bit more money as we are not forking out for Hargreaves and Co.

However taking the case in point of Blissett for example. What is he 25 or so years of age? he may not be the worlds greatest centre forward, but mobile 6 5" strikers who seem to cause havoc with the opposition - well you might think that the likes of Eastleigh, FGR, moneybags Barrow and a few others might have come calling. He's better value than Constable, Parkin, Midson or a whole host of other over the top clodhoppers.

It still doesn't add up to me - Macdonald cited one of the reasons that he rejected other clubs was because of the calibre of players that Nicholson was trying to get in. That might have sounded like bullshit at the time but now looks to be pretty near the mark.

The latest signing of Sparks just seems to illustrate that point.

I actually thought that we would lose the majority of our decent players and would be back scrabbling around for the Alex Fisher and Bayan Fenwick type no hopers.

We are now told that Thea Bristow is back on the scene - what on earths that about?

Tight budget or not - one way or another there is more money about. Whether its season ticket money, Theas or Gi's - it must be coming from somewhere.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Southampton makes a very good point. This season we have been told the budget is 400 grand. Does this mean at this point we, or rather Nico, actually has 400 grand in his pocket to spend, or does it mean the board is hoping to raise 400 grand over the course of the season? If it is the case of the latter, perhaps someone from the club can explain how this is to be achieved without shirt or stadium sponsorship, or are they hoping the GI is signed and sealed before too long?
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

I do not think Thea would be pumping money in. She rejoined the board eight days after the GI deal was made public. What i would of thought is more likely that in the event of a sale she will try to recover some of the money she wrote off. After all why should Philips et al benefit financially from her generosity to the club. What I find odd is that some posters on this forum say they read all three forums yet Thea's rejoining of the board has been mentioned on TFF and BTPIR for weeks but has just been mentioned on this site.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Plainmoor 78 are you sure Thea Bristow was reappointed a Director in March?

I have checked with Companies House records and cannot find any confirmation that Thea has rejoined the Board.

Can you enlighten me please.

Companies House confirm Thea resigned on the 7 April 2015 and the current directors are Mr & Mrs Balson, Mr and Mrs Kerswell, Angela Richards and David Phillips.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I don't know about anyone else, but I have missed brucie.....but now he's back!
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Plainmoor78 wrote: What I find odd is that some posters on this forum say they read all three forums yet Thea's rejoining of the board has been mentioned on TFF and BTPIR for weeks but has just been mentioned on this site.
I read all 3 forums. Clearly you do too, and you didn't think of mentioning anything about Thea either. ;-)
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

portugull wrote:Plainmoor 78 are you sure Thea Bristow was reappointed a Director in March?

I have checked with Companies House records and cannot find any confirmation that Thea has rejoined the Board.

Can you enlighten me please.

Companies House confirm Thea resigned on the 7 April 2015 and the current directors are Mr & Mrs Balson, Mr and Mrs Kerswell, Angela Richards and David Phillips.
Here you go Portugull.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/comp ... 8/officers
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Following my earlier post today I have now established the correct position in relation to Thea Bristow.

Thea is not a Director of Torquay United.

However Thea was appointed a Director of Plainmoor Ltd on the 24 March 2016. I imagine this is to protect Thea`s position in relation to any future property transactions which affect the club.

The Directors in Plainmoor Ltd number 7 in total but only 5 Directors hold Shares. Each of the 5 holdings are for 717,767 shares each holding representing 20% of the share capital.

What is interesting is that prior to Dean Edwards being paid off he held personally 1,435,536 shares in Plainmoor Ltd which were transferred to other Directors with effect from the 21 November 2015.

I hope this post establishes accurately the current position.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

stefano wrote: I read all 3 forums. Clearly you do too, and you didn't think of mentioning anything about Thea either. ;-)
Surely anyone who is deeply interested in tufc reads all 3? Why wouldn't you?