Accrington Stanley vs Torquay United - Saturday 26th Feb

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SkyBlueGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SkyBlueGull »

A rare post from me - Have been very much a lurker on this site - especially as I have not been able to get access - thanks Louis for sorting out.

I have 1 question/issue to raise

I went to the Cheltenham game and have read all the reports on the Accy game.

I am sure I recall that on numerous occassions PB has stated that "we will always go looking for the extra goal - we are an attacking side - attack is the best for of defence- we will always be looking to win the game and never accept a draw" etc etc blah blah

From the evidence I saw with my own eyes at Whaddon Road and from what I have read about the Accy game PB was - with his substitutions - trying to "shut up shop" and protect a 2-0 lead at Cheltenham and go for a draw at Accy. There was no outlet at Cheltenham once Kee and Robinson went off which just invited their goalkeeper to come up to the halfway line and launch rockets into our area and I am sure that once Kee & robinson were taken off it was a similar story at Accy.

So how does this fit in with PBs mantra that "we always go out to win games/will never go for a draw when there is a game to be won" when it is blatantly obvious his substitutions tell a different story.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

SkyBlueGull wrote:A rare post from me - Have been very much a lurker on this site - especially as I have not been able to get access - thanks Louis for sorting out.

I have 1 question/issue to raise

I went to the Cheltenham game and have read all the reports on the Accy game.

I am sure I recall that on numerous occassions PB has stated that "we will always go looking for the extra goal - we are an attacking side - attack is the best for of defence- we will always be looking to win the game and never accept a draw" etc etc blah blah

From the evidence I saw with my own eyes at Whaddon Road and from what I have read about the Accy game PB was - with his substitutions - trying to "shut up shop" and protect a 2-0 lead at Cheltenham and go for a draw at Accy. There was no outlet at Cheltenham once Kee and Robinson went off which just invited their goalkeeper to come up to the halfway line and launch rockets into our area and I am sure that once Kee & robinson were taken off it was a similar story at Accy.

So how does this fit in with PBs mantra that "we always go out to win games/will never go for a draw when there is a game to be won" when it is blatantly obvious his substitutions tell a different story.
These are the points I was driving at and the reasons for my frustrations during recent games.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Troj me old horse it is Buckspeak.

The mistake that we make is to take what he says too literally....or even semi-literally, or even, when it comes down to it, to believe too much of anything he says....

You can fool all some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time (Abe Lincoln)
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

yellow wrote:Troj me old horse it is Buckspeak.

The mistake that we make is to take what he says too literally....or even semi-literally, or even, when it comes down to it, to believe too much of anything he says....

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time (Abe Lincoln)
Aye, 'tis true.

Here's one of me own : "Look in the mirror, what do you see ? A fool smiling back at thee ?"

:no: :devil: o:)
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Got to agree, SkyBlueGull. We restricted our attack at Cheltenham by taking players off and we did it again on Saturday.

I haven't had time to read the whole thread, but is it just me who thinks Potter was at fault for their goal? Straight threw his hands - seemed a poor mistake. He was at fault (in my mind) for Cheltenhams first, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Bevs back in for Tuesday.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Maybe my judgment is clouded as i have allways been impressed with Potter when he has played against us and gained the impression that he is a solid keeper at this level,and those views i hold are not about to change,i still think he is a solid keeper at this level.

As ive said on the site i did have a slightly obscured view of both Cheltenhams goals,however have since watched it back on the bbc website,and there is no doubt he could and should have done better with both Cheltenhams goals.

I have just seen the accy goal and i do honestly think to put that down to anything other than a wonder strike would be totaly over the top,the guy has taken a pot shot,and the one and only time in ten,he has caught spot on ,in fact dont think he could have hit better if had tried really, cant see anything wrong with Potter's foot work he got himself set and dived,the only down side proberly is the much taller bevan may have stopped only because of his height.

I respect everyone's opinion and am not in any way writting this to offend,however i am finding totaly amazing that a couple of mistakes in a game that we were leading has left Potter facing flak from fans,and having his every move scrutinised,yet how many soft goals has Bevan let in?,Oxford home Bevan hestitated on that one on one with Midson,and was beaten in the bottom corner by a daisy cutter in the same match,just one example,Bevs has been beaten in the bottom corners ,far to easily far to many times this season.

Dont get me wrong i have total respect for both keepers they are both very capable league 2 keepers,but with different strenghts and weakness's,Bevan will come back in there is no doubt,but lets try to keep it fair because both keepers have cost us points,both have also won us points aswell.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I thought it was a feeble attempt to save it personally. Looked like he was trying to catch a beachball. I bet Kenny Veysey thinks the same as well ;-)
Dave

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Southampton Gull wrote:I thought it was a feeble attempt to save it personally. Looked like he was trying to catch a beachball. I bet Kenny Veysey thinks the same as well ;-)
:lol: So Potter is not on your christmas card list then :)

The point i am trying make above is Bevan is not champion the wonder horse,the silly goals will not stop by bringing him back in,because they were happening with him aswell.

With brighton seemingly on there way to the championship leaving Pokey not much chance of climbing the pecking order there,and pressume Poke is still there,maybe the club could dig deep and bring him home :-/
Formerly known as forevertufc
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I loved the way he interacted with the fans at Cheltenham, and I have absolutely nothing against him at all, I just see glaring gaps in his keeping ability, I've said it since I first saw him at Swindon and he keeps justifying my opinion of him ;-)
Dave

Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

He is bound to have gaps in his keeping ability - that's why he is playing in league two.
The same with Bevs - he too has gaps in his keeping ability.

They both have good and bad points, and it is unfair to say that Bevs may have saved the Accy goal - yes, he may have done, but he may have equally let in a goal that Potter saved. Who knows.

The fact is that currently Buckle sees something in Potter and he is the man tasked with keeping the goals out.
Ever since Potter made his first mistake I have seen posts on here from various people saying that they expect Bevs will be back for the next game, only to find that he isn't.

Let's trust Bucks judgement on this one - he is the one that gets paid to pick the players, and he is the one who will have to explain his actions if they come back and bite him on the arse.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Those gaps shouldn't be between his hands though Scott.

I'll trust his judgement.............when he drops Potter ;-)

1 minute 20 in, look how feeble that is

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 401916.stm
Dave

Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I never said Bevan was perfect - if he was then he wouldn't have spent the last 3 years playing for us. But for a good time over those 3 seasons, he's been very consistent, in my mind. I can't recall too many games where he cocked up majorly. Granted, he screwed up for that Oxford goal when he hesitated, and he was possibly a bit dodgy against Hereford.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I don't think that any of Potters "errors" are any worse than these: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 313789.stm

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

But Bevan isn't making them whenever he's called upon. Your opinion would be more valid if you'd seen him play and didn't have to rely on clips from the internet. His basic decision-making is poor, his physical attributes are limiting, see Accrington goal as well as Cheltenham's first. He simply isn't as good as Bevan.

Incidentally, which goals are you blaming Bevan for?

I've watched those highlights three times now, can't see anything that was down to Bevan on any of them.
Dave

Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Dave, I see Bevs at fault for one of the Midson ones. He slightly hesitated, which proved costly.

Like I said above though, I could count the number of games that Bevs has 'cost us' on one hand, which isn't too bad over 3 years...