Facing Reality

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

The reality is that Osborne has no intention of departing with Owers as he's a successful manager in bringing a club to its knees.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Formation is the key point and surely 3 goals in 4 games underlines the present formation does not work.
Many fans,myself included, have watched pro football for decades and although the game has changed hugely from the days of 2-3-5,good Managers play to their strengths.
At present, and GO knows this, we are weakest up front and god knows were the goals are going to come from.
So you have to give the forward players more support but with no height in the No. 9 spot wingers can cross all day but our guys will not score many unless it is on a plate as was Keatings header last Saturday.
Regis has been disappointing so far but he is very tall and it must be worth a go to play him up front as a target man until GO can persuade a big Club to help us out with a loan striker who needs games.
After 60 plus years attending Plainmoor I have a horrible feeling that this is going to be the last as Mr. Osborne knows nothing about football by his own admission and I feel my time will be better spent on the golf course.
It is unbelievably sad as last week the atmosphere against Bath City with a gate of 2151 was fantastic.
To the players I say come on you are lucky to be playing the great game and if you feel the formation is wrong discuss it with the boss
This lack of goals has to be sorted quickly not in 3 months time.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

I’d go for a 433

Gk : MacDonald

RB: Wynter
CB: Niate / Eusseman
CB: Cameron (unless he can play RB?)
LB: Davis

CM: Nabi
CM: Dickson (C)
CM: Hall / Regis

FW: Keating
FW: Wright
FW: Williams

Bench
GK: Burton
DF : Eusseman / Niate
MF: Bawling
MF: Regis / Hall
FW: Pittman (swap for Reid!)
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I'm happy to persevere with 3 at the back for a little longer but we need to be more offensive. Instead of playing with full backs why not try the wingers? Lets go proper 3-5-2 with Bawling and Banton wide and Wright & Keating up front. We shouldn't be afraid of anyone in this division, yes the away games on plastic pitches will take a bit of getting used to but otherwise we should, especially at home, be looking to attack and score goals. If we can't get 100 league goals this season then we never will.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

100? You cannot be serious!
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Why not? We are literally playing part-timers every week. Certainly at home we should be looking to score 3, 4 or 5 goals a game.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Philgull rightly states that the plastic pitches away from home will take some getting used to but on the flip side, home games will also take some resolve with every team wanting to come to an ex FL league club and perform. It's not so much about having a side with more ability all over the park with this in mind but more about mental and physical toughness and superior fitness to be able to deal with these problems and gradually overcome teams who prove frustratingly obdurate.

Basically Owers can get success by developing an average team full of winners instead of assembling a really good team full of losers. Being a loser himself in football management terms, this will be an interesting season to say the least.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Modgull wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 07:56 Is anyone surprised? Really? I'm glad that I have given up watching the drivel that Owers' teams serve up. I seriously hoped that my decision to stop going after last season's nightmare would be proven wrong but it seems not...
I'm the same. I didn't renew my ST for this season and have had no interest in watching any of the home games or the game at Oxford on Tuesday night while I was staying in the area for work.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

PhilGull wrote: 16 Aug 2018, 11:04 If we can't get 100 league goals this season then we never will.
What the f . . . ?
With Williams, Keating and Reid ? :rofl: :lol:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Watching the Gulls on Tuesday for the first time in almost two years made me realise several things:
- I don't like the absence of player names on shirts
- I really don't like the new kit (colour, badge, everything)
- I can't believe its been so long since I've seen some of the Capital Gulls - where does the time go?
- I think we're pretty average and poorly managed (but we are where we are for many reasons)

I guess that's the reality of the situation but its hard to face.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Last season TUFC achieved their first win against a Maidenhead side that literary just stepped off the bus. This season we faced East Thurrock United who had literary just got off the bus and struggled to beat them by two goals in what was one of the worst victories i have seen.
The reality is this; if we get promoted (which we all hope we will) then Owers stays. Now I cannot see how, with his past form we can realistically expect to survive in the NLP let alone challenge for promotion to the EFL with Owers at the helm.
The only answer is get rid of Owers now. We have already repeated the mistake of last year of letting an incompetent manager spunk the budget during the close season. Get a proper manager in now or we are going down the pan.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 00:29 Last season TUFC achieved their first win against a Maidenhead side that literary just stepped off the bus. This season we faced East Thurrock United who had literary just got off the bus and struggled to beat them by two goals in what was one of the worst victories i have seen.
The reality is this; if we get promoted (which we all hope we will) then Owers stays. Now I cannot see how, with his past form we can realistically expect to survive in the NLP let alone challenge for promotion to the EFL with Owers at the helm.
The only answer is get rid of Owers now. We have already repeated the mistake of last year of letting an incompetent manager spunk the budget during the close season. Get a proper manager in now or we are going down the pan.
I do believe we're in agreement. A first? ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Nathan Strong
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Vincent Dorel

Post by Nathan Strong »

I don't want to sound like I know it all but come on, it does not take a fully qualified football manager to know that players like Jamie reid give absolutely nothing to the team, I mean it must be the most infuriating thing going to games... we pay to watch Jamie reid, not saying I am any better I am not but how is he a footballer?

I am bringing this up as it is extremely concerning that our 'manager' the man that is supposed to be leading us forward and is suppose to mastermind our 'promotion' from the NLS still chooses to pick him wether that be for the bench or for the starting 11 it is equally infuriating.

unfortunately mr Osborne seems to just be in it for the money this new stadium is all for money: concerts/events, hotels, and activities within the ground, all for the money, if we had a owner who actually cared for the club like a fan owers would be out, we have scraped through home games the 1-0 win were pretty awful and the 2-0 was slightly better but still awful and was shadowed over by the fact that east Thurrock just have an awful team, at home we have been scarping through and carried by the fact that these players are too good for the NLS but under management of owers they do not play to their ability, away from home has been abysmal.

you can say its early doors and Gary has recruited well which are both true but we have seen it last year and it seems to be continuing this year, he has had enough payers of his own to bring in he cannot blame it on anyone else, recruitment has been good but mr owers can not get the best out of anyone I am afraid

I hope he proves me wrong but at the moment the quicker he's out he quicker we can progress.
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by greb46 »

The problem is that Owers comes across as a total depressive ,I'm not saying a manager should be an all singing all dancing person and totally happy go lucky but seriously if I was working for him in any employed situation what a depressing work day that would be.His general persona doesnt motivate for soneone who needs it.After a loss or win the media interview is the same monotonous droll .I can imagine many of the players thinking I can't be bothered giving this guy 100% effort as he seems disinterested himself.I hope I'm proven wrong and he gets us promoted but still feel a manager with man management skills would gain 10 plus points a season which could make the difference between success or failure.
toastkid
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

I still think Owners must go back to basics. Strategy First, then team and individual tactics and then formation. Does he want to sit deep or push up. Does he want the whole team to press or just some individuals, all the time or when? When during matches or where on the pitch? Is he happy to let the other team have the ball when they have it, then when they inevitably lose it we then show urgency? Do we attack wide, through the middle, over the top? Do we play to feet or to space? Loads to consider and then formation to pick. But some of our players look lacking. Take the Bath midfield, quality. Dickson's shown glimpses of quality and Hall occasionally, but only with the ball. Without the ball he looks lost to me. Reid creates his own dead ends or loses the ball. He should be let go, loaned out and given a chance but only if he improves. Williams should never be captain. He needs a kick up the arse. Regis? Let him go. A formation is not good or bad, it's how you play it. I do think however if something isn't working you have to be bright enough to spot it and brave enough to do something about it. Even if you don't know the solution, then try something else. Else you will just continue to receive the same thing, which for us is a poor team struggling to get results, as results are a product of all mentioned before. So Owners, make the changes.