Jamie Reid

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Be realistic. Reid struggled in the conference even though I always felt he had potential. He's dropped to regional football and scored well but a Championship club? Come on, be serious. I think Teigngull has been on the sauce again.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

Players from this level have gone to Championship and beyond. Usually players don't make a straight jump of 3 leagues (and looking likely 4 if Portsmouth do go up) - you'd expect him to go to League 2 at best and then move on again if he proves himself.

Case study - Isaac Vassell. Truro to Luton to Birmingham. Or Ollie Watkins - loan at Weston, then tore up League 2 now at Brentford.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

smw89 wrote: 27 Jan 2019, 16:45 I would say that Janneh would be here next season promotion depending, just because he is only 19 years old and it would be a good step up for him in the national league. Would be surprised if Opi didn't sign as well.... anyway, in Johnson we trust
Good point about Janneh, I forgot about his age, would really love him to stay and progress further under us.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 27 Jan 2019, 18:04 Be realistic. Reid struggled in the conference even though I always felt he had potential. He's dropped to regional football and scored well but a Championship club? Come on, be serious. I think Teigngull has been on the sauce again.
I think this is right. Reid does need to prove himself at a higher level before the big clubs take notice.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Midlandgull wrote: 27 Jan 2019, 18:12 Players from this level have gone to Championship and beyond. Usually players don't make a straight jump of 3 leagues (and looking likely 4 if Portsmouth do go up) - you'd expect him to go to League 2 at best and then move on again if he proves himself.

Case study - Isaac Vassell. Truro to Luton to Birmingham. Or Ollie Watkins - loan at Weston, then tore up League 2 now at Brentford.
None of which is relevant to Reid because as I mentioned, he didn't prove himself at Conference level over two seasons. The others proved themselves in national football first.
Dave

lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Southampton Gull wrote: 27 Jan 2019, 18:04 Be realistic. Reid struggled in the conference even though I always felt he had potential. He's dropped to regional football and scored well but a Championship club? Come on, be serious. I think Teigngull has been on the sauce again.
No mention of championship club( there isn’t any on the south coast) league 1 was suggested, but it’s all bull shit.
Jamie Reid isn’t probably aware of this.
Lucy
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Not nice Dave !
Where have I mentioned a championship club ?
Pompey are a league 1 club who have lost 3 out of the last 5 lge games, so they're hardly in promotion form are they ?
I'm just the messenger on this one, My Pompey season ticket mate from Gosport let me know this info whilst spending a late Xmas break with us.
And I have to say she was well impressed with what she saw at plainmoor on Saturday.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Reid to me is a total conundrum in football terms, is he a centre forward , is he a winger, I am not even sure he knows. There are times when he shows a total disinterest in the game, I am not even convinced he totally likes the game. When we score he is more often than not the last to congratulate the scorer if off course it wasn't him. Yesterday his football brain was in full switched on mode, not only did he grab a couple and not miss any obvious ones like at Bath. Something small yesterday when Keating was doing something with his boots and oxford were clearing their lines he was switched on enough to sprint back and cover Keatings responsibility, something I have never seen in his game before. I do not agree with the comment that Reid may wont away because he has received abuse in the past, really, even the gentile surroundings of the family stand where I sit you ought to hear the abuse some players get when they are having an off day. As a goal scorer in this league he in undoubtedly prolific, In the national league with his confidence up maybe, in division two, just possibly. Anything higher not a chance. Look at Andrews and Lemonheigh, give them three years undoubtedly they will be in the top of the championship and maybe the premier where they will undoubtedly meet and play against Janneh who is a natural goal scorer. If he wont's more money offload him to Billericay. If a scout saw him yesterday they would recommend him as a good punt, if they saw him at Bath they would keep their purse well and truly padlocked.
smw89
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by smw89 »

culmstockgull wrote: 27 Jan 2019, 19:03 Reid to me is a total conundrum in football terms, is he a centre forward , is he a winger, I am not even sure he knows. There are times when he shows a total disinterest in the game, I am not even convinced he totally likes the game. When we score he is more often than not the last to congratulate the scorer if off course it wasn't him. Yesterday his football brain was in full switched on mode, not only did he grab a couple and not miss any obvious ones like at Bath. Something small yesterday when Keating was doing something with his boots and oxford were clearing their lines he was switched on enough to sprint back and cover Keatings responsibility, something I have never seen in his game before. I do not agree with the comment that Reid may wont away because he has received abuse in the past, really, even the gentile surroundings of the family stand where I sit you ought to hear the abuse some players get when they are having an off day. As a goal scorer in this league he in undoubtedly prolific, In the national league with his confidence up maybe, in division two, just possibly. Anything higher not a chance. Look at Andrews and Lemonheigh, give them three years undoubtedly they will be in the top of the championship and maybe the premier where they will undoubtedly meet and play against Janneh who is a natural goal scorer. If he wont's more money offload him to Billericay. If a scout saw him yesterday they would recommend him as a good punt, if they saw him at Bath they would keep their purse well and truly padlocked.
This is the point I'm making, it won't even really be a punt because he will leave on a free transfer so therefore can be signed at the expense of a very small singing on fee.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Teigngull wrote: 27 Jan 2019, 18:42 Not nice Dave !
Where have I mentioned a championship club ?
Pompey are a league 1 club who have lost 3 out of the last 5 lge games, so they're hardly in promotion form are they ?
I'm just the messenger on this one, My Pompey season ticket mate from Gosport let me know this info whilst spending a late Xmas break with us.
And I have to say she was well impressed with what she saw at plainmoor on Saturday.
My accountant is on the board there and knows nothing about this. Goalscorers at any level are noticed but Reid was at Exeter and didn't make the grade, didn't really cut it for us in the Conference but I genuinely admired the effort he always put in and thought there was a player waiting to come out. Now we're seeing a more mature performer so who knows how high he can go but he'll have to prove it in the conference or league 2 before someone like Pompey (Championship club all day long) make serious enquiries about him.
Dave

desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I think Jamie Reid knows he is a central striker not a winger ! and as for looking disinterested in some games , what an extraordinary thing to say
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

desperado wrote: 27 Jan 2019, 20:46 I think Jamie Reid knows he is a central striker not a winger ! and as for looking disinterested in some games , what an extraordinary thing to say
I've never seen him give anything less than 100% effort.
Dave

Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 27 Jan 2019, 18:38 None of which is relevant to Reid because as I mentioned, he didn't prove himself at Conference level over two seasons. The others proved themselves in national football first.
He wouldn't be the first player who failed to impress at a level and then goes beyond it in the future.

Vassell and Watkins proved themselves at National South level first of all.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 27 Jan 2019, 20:47 I've never seen him give anything less than 100% effort.
Same here. Always plenty of effort.

Being switched to his preferred striking role has been a blessing for him and us this season. Expected his signing to be one of the later ones as goalscorers will always be in high demand. I think he owes himself the opportunity to prove himself next season at National League level with his hometown club (as he hinted at in that NLP article), but if something unmissable comes knocking beforehand then he will be off.

I’m not so confident we would get Janneh next season as he is one Bristol City ought to consider as needing League experience next season and just the one level higher may not be enough. He’s young, but he is very good with bags of potential and a good work ethic.

Enjoy them both while we have them. If we go up and Johnson is still here, he’ll get us good replacements for any who go on to a higher level.
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 27 Jan 2019, 20:46 My accountant is on the board there and knows nothing about this. Goalscorers at any level are noticed but Reid was at Exeter and didn't make the grade, didn't really cut it for us in the Conference but I genuinely admired the effort he always put in and thought there was a player waiting to come out. Now we're seeing a more mature performer so who knows how high he can go but he'll have to prove it in the conference or league 2 before someone like Pompey (Championship club all day long) make serious enquiries about him.
We all know how good accountants are at keeping secrets though Dave. ;-)