Realistic goals next season

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

I would like a player who can score from the penalty spot! I would settle for not being in a relegation battle. Consolidate next season, push on after that. I would not want to go up, just to come down the following year.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

We're back at base camp and are about to attempt to scale the the same mountain as that attempted by Hargreaves, Cox, Nicholson and Owers. In Gary Johnson we have a manager who has better resources and a much clearer idea of the kind of player he wants and how to use them. It is hard at this stage to have any idea of the additions he will make to the squad but these will be what makes the difference. For example, if we expect Asa Hall to be the mainstay of our midfield, then I think we will be disappointed because i think it will be a similar case to when Chris Hargreaves led us back into L2; a step too far. However, I am sure Asa will make a contribution in the way that Ryan Dickson has. A quality replacement for him will be a good indication of how the season will go.
TUST number 080
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

We have to make the most of this momentum and the skills of Gary Johnson while we have them. Although a step up we will still be one of the bigger clubs next season and should be setting our sights accordingly. It's impossible to know at this stage who will be the challengers but we should be aiming for the top, aiming to be mixing it up with the other title challengers. Promotion has to be the number one goal.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

The current squad would struggle in the lower half of the league nowhere near the playoffs or automatic promotion.
More investment please Mr. Clarke.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

I am quite optimistic about are chances for next season. Take Solihull Moors for example. Around christmas last season, the season we were relegated, Solihull Moors were bottom of the league 8 points from safety and 5 points adrift of Torquay. The club deceided to become full time and brought in several new players and avoided relegation. This season the club is flying high and are currently third in the national league, 3 points of top spot and are guarnteed a play off spot. More than half the teams currently in the national league are in serious financial trouble and Clarke Osborne in the last 48 hours has stated that he is willing to fund another promotion seeking campaign. I can't see many clubs in the national league having the finance to challange Torquay. Personally, i expect at least a top 4 finish next season.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

A play off spot is a possibility but for the first season back I would settle for a top ten finish.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Don't think Gary Johnson does consolidation
He will have us right up there don't worry
He wouldn't have re signed them all in January if he didn't think they were good enough so he is not expecting them to be 'nowhere near the play offs and lower mid table ' Regarding Asa Hall , hardly a step too far, he is 32 and it's the National League not League Two, and I think Hargreaves was 37 at the time, bit of a difference
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

I haven't seen it, but if uncle Clarke is willing to put his money where his mouth is to fund another promotion push ( despite us all wondering what his main goals are ) then I say we have to back him too, if things do start to go tits up next season let's ALL get behind the boys & GJ, none of the dropping off of gates to the 1300/1400 mark, the only way we'll get back to the FL is by all of us sticking together, we have a good base of a squad and with a few experienced but still hungry additions we can be up there, & let's hope Gary's son Lee can continue with the good work at Bristol City as it can only benefit us that he does.
We've shown uncle Clarke that if there is a winning entertaining side representing TUFC we will turn up in numbers, we have a fantastic enthusiasm that needs milking & I for one haven't tired of telling anyone who'll listen, or even those who won't, that they need to get back on the train to destination Football League. I know of approx 15 people who have stayed true to their values & not turned up this season for various reasons, but just lately a spark has been ignited in them & lo & behold some are coming on monday, glory hunters ? Yes may be they are, I say welcome back guys enjoy the party & show us you care next season by turning up regularly.
It seems to me we care a properly run football club now, it's taken time & some likeable but somewhat naive characters to get to this point. There is a reason uncle Clarke is a successful business man but at this moment in time I'm thankful he's funding our club to the tune he is, maybe in the future I'll regret it but right now we have an advantage with the set up we have.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Whydoibother wrote: 15 Apr 2019, 17:36 It all depends what players the manager brings in as despite not conceding much in the South if we defend like that again wont get away like we have done by scoring more. We have the basis of a good squad and interested to see who we are going to bring in
I don't agree with you re our defence. Yes - we have looked vulnerable at times, but I think that is more to do with the 'exciting to watch' football Gary Johnson likes to play. He likes to push players forward and therefore at times we do get caught out. It is similar to the style that Liverpool and Man City play. At the beginning of the season when Man City were leaking goals, Pep Guardiola was asked about the City defence. He said "I don't mind if we concede 2 goals, as long as we score three". I think that's GJ's philosophy and it has led to watchable football which has brought the fans back.

Wivel - I think the days of 'enforcers' like Colin Bettany (and the late Tommy Smith) are over. One hefty challenge nowadays and you're booked. But I do agree that maybe we need more of a 'presence' in midfield. Good to see that the Seasiders (Whitby Town) have had a better season, well away from relegation worries.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

We have the nucleus of a championship winning side to start next season (first mover advantage over many of the NL clubs) and it would not surprise me to see the Bristol Boys back for another season. The addition of a few choice players are required to strengthen the squad but the winning mentality under the 'Johnson Way' is a good omen for a promotion push next season.

As for funding of our club? I'm thankful, but still can't dismiss the fact that if I could buy the club (by default) for the price of a terraced house and loaned TU a million quid which the bank loaned to me (based on a letter of intent from the Mayor that I would be given council land worth 10 times that value to build house on) .... then I might even consider having a go at running the football club. Why not! None of the funding is my money. The only issue being 'I like football!'
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

I'm fairly optimistic about next season - lets be honest we've steamrolled this league, clinching promotion with three games to go after we'd given teams a 10 match headstart. Add to that we will have a settled squad with a good core already signed up which is a huge advantage and given Johnson's contacts and ability I'm pretty confident he'll add well.

I'd be surprised to see either Evans or Andrews back on loan - they are really at an age now where they need to show they cut it at league standard, although if one or the other were to be released, its not impossible they'd sign. Edwards and Janneh are younger so I think there is a higher chance they could return.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

tomogull wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 00:44 Yeah ..... but Havant & Waterlooville and Braintree also got promoted, and they're both going to be relegated!!
True, but neither of them have the set up, reputation or history we have. Nor to Harrogate. Salford slightly different now but I think we will do well with GJ at the helm.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

It is far too early to make an accurate prediction on our chances for next season, it depends on so much, not least what acquisitions, and of what quality are made in the close season. We need at least six additional players, not only for the first team but also to make the squad far more competitive. The national league improves year on year in terms of quality and their ability to attract players who logically should be playing in division two and higher. We will be one of twenty two teams whose sole ambition is to make it back into the league, yes ,we have the ground but that counts for very little, I have no doubt that building Bristows cost us our position in the league. Instead,we should have spent the money on the team, success on the field is everything, look at our attendances this season , they dwarf those of our last season in the national, you can build a ground on the back of on field success, the other way round is madness.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

We had no choice but to build a new grandstand, it was that or have a three-sided ground as it the old one was going to be condemned.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Culmstock, there's 24 teams in the National league premier, unless you know if 2 teams who have zero ambition to make the FL.