Torquay United v Hungerford Town, 22nd April

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
TerryTorq
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Tommy Northcott

Post by TerryTorq »

In case anyone has a last minute change of plan, I still have a Bristow's Bench Block E adult ticket for anyone who wants it. No money required.

Terry
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

Attendance given as 5351 (54 away). New NLS record.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Sounds like it's a good job that we already won the league. 2 defeats on the trot would definitely have had the nerves jangling (although of course it's impossible to say if we'd have had these results if we still needed points).

It did sound much better than Friday's performance on the radio, at least, but I do wonder what Johnson's presser will be like. Some of the players might be concerned about next season, I'd imagine.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Stop harping on - we are 10 points clear at the top of the league. Nothing to moan about really.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

For once I agree with Brucie. The job's been done, the retards West of the Tamar have been relegated, what more do you want.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Seems like we created loads of chances but fair play to Hungerford - they needed the points we didn't.
Launceston Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Launceston Gull »

We`re actually 7 points clear and Truro are not yet relegated as only the bottom 3 go down. If Truro win their last game and Hungerford lose its Hungerford for the drop, Truro have a better goal difference.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

brucie wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 17:19 Stop harping on - we are 10 points clear at the top of the league. Nothing to moan about really.
Hah. "harping on"?

crikey, all I said was "it's a good job we already won the league". Had we not done, these last two results would have had us worried. Nothing to moan about *really* - and I wasn't even moaning! - but if our intention is to challenge next season, letting the end of season slip away is disappointing.
But yes, you're right, I'm sure the manager is sitting back smugly, not thinking about the future at all.

(It's a 7 point lead, by the way)
Plainmoor78 wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 17:29 The job's been done, the retards West of the Tamar have been relegated, what more do you want.
I'd like to look forward to something for once, and try to get back to what has traditionally been 'our' level, rather than celebrating victory in a league made up of mostly part-time teams like we've won the World Cup. Enjoy the day, and the moment, (and let's be fair, enjoy the turnaround since september) but what does it all mean if we struggle again next season?
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 17:29 For once I agree with Brucie. The job's been done, the retards West of the Tamar have been relegated, what more do you want.
Correction: fake news on BBC site had Truro losing 1-0, alas it finished 2-2. Hungerford still a point to survive.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

In reply to Happytorq, I not sure we will struggle, by which I assume you mean another relegation battle, but the side needs strengthening, especially in terms of depth, it is that which I think Johnson meant when he said he needed ten new players.
This season's squad under Johnson has been ludicrously small. If a full blown injury crisis had hit earlier in the season we would not be celebrating now. As it is the two recent results have arguably been the result of injuries to Hall and Keating and the inevitable loss of Psycho Janner.
Johnson won't be sitting back smugly but he has one hell of a job on his hands. But stage one of the recovery has been successfully completed and I think we can rely on the manager to give his all.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

For Christ sake on another day we would have won this game but the longer it stayed at 0-0 you could almost write the script.

So what if the gap has been closed to 7 points - its absolutely irrelevant as we are so far ahead of anyone else nothing actually matters. To say that we are likely to struggle nest season on the back of the last two meaningless friendlies is just nonsense.

We beat nigh on all the top teams when it mattered and were clearly worthy champions. Happytorq is stuck in murrca so obviously knows nothing about football.
Realistic 2019
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Realistic 2019 »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 02:46 If GJ's interview after Friday's game has anything to do with it, we should win this game 5-0.
:rofl:
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

I think its a little disappointing that we have let the last two games dissolve in to meaningless friendlies, Especially with our support. Would I change that NO! I would much rather that then a nail-biting up to the last game finish! I would have like to seen us go on a smash some records and even smash Hungerford. There was over 5000 there today and of course they would have liked to see us win 5-0 but they are there celebrating picking up a trophy for the first time in I do not know how long! The job has been done and done earlier than we all anticipated, its a strange feeling following the games from afar with really not care in the world its nice but a weird feeling. And if I/We feel like that as fans! How must the players feel? Wrapping up the league early and not having to worry about the playoffs is relief in itself. Let just enjoy it.. Another plus point with early promotion GJ can now already be working on next years squad and what he expects wants and needs! Let not turn the next week into a moan fest. Remember we are champions, and we are going up and up and away! Next stop Premier league!!
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Just got back from a very disappointing game in front of a record NLS crowd. Unfortunately the standard of football was such that the atmosphere remained largely flat for long periods of the game.

It could only be Torquay United where they win their first ever league title and then let the fans down instead of leaving everyone on a high!

Although some are saying the result doesn't matter the way we played for 80 mins after a very bright opening 10 was mystifying - we had 8 attempts, 4 on target and Reid hitting the bar in the first half and only 5 soft attempts, 3 on target in the second when we just seemed to fall apart in midfield. The Hungerford goal had been coming for some time by the time they actually scored it - they were noticeably stronger, quicker and more determined in virtually every part of the field but particularly in the middle where Asa Hall was badly missed.

The referee was exceedingly poor but was not the reason for our poor performance.

I hope those who make the trip to St Albans see an improved performance but a suspect they won't - I think this team has run out of gas.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Far too many players already on the beach, season done & dusted in their eyes,their keeper played a blinded & if he'd conceded 3 or 4 today it wouldn't have been an injustice.
Over 5300 supporters let down by half hearted challenges & commitment, sorry if it sounds harsh but that's the way I saw it. A damp squib & the celebrations were somewhat subdued.