League 2: Macclesfield Town vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tommygull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by tommygull »

Where are you guys going for a pint before the game? I know there are a few pubs by the station but the ground is in the middle of a housing estate int it?
:( Tommy :)
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I think JOastler is an excellent idea. With the greatest respect for Macclesfield, I cannot see them playing the type of football we have been expecting in the last two matches. Fast, flowing, on the deck passing game. I envisage more headed work for Pickles and his plus one to do (perhaps a recall for Ellis, with Robbo at RB and Manse back in midfield?) If this shuffling at the back is not deemed appropriate, then I would definitely like to see JOastler back. His added steel over the new guy (I can't remember which one) will probably match us up slightly better against a side who are probably going to be more physical and not so quick on the ball as Bury or the Shrews.

This is a match we must not take for granted, Macclesfield are no mugs and they, as mentioned previously, will be looking to get one over on one of the better sides in the division.

Amusingness on their board. One poster has (without a hint of irony, or, to be fair, malice) boasted proudly that 'Macclesfield have already beaten Morecambe, Northampton and Stockport, so why can they not beat Torquay?' That's a little like us having got to OT in the FA Cup and saying "Well, we beat Gatwick FC, Matlock Town and Oxford City, why not Man Utd?" :~D

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
gullsrus
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by gullsrus »

yer i agree that oastler adds more physically than pringle (think thats who you mean as the new one). tbh i think oastler has been unfortunate amongst the loan deals. i can understand why buckle has brought in attacking style loans and of course super stanley but in in my opinion i think hes better than pringle and cant see what pringle offers that he doesnt apart from a couple years more experience
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Completely agree with the clamour for Oastler to be recalled. Get the impression that Macclesfield are going to be a bit like Accrington - strong and well drilled. I wouldn't feel the need to disrupt the back 4 though, although you could argue that Ellis deserves a recall after the shambolic centre half performances in the first half on Tuesday.

We looked infinitely better on Tuesday when we went 4-4-2 with Robinson and Pringle out wide, and Zebs and Tomlin up front. That front partnership has to be retained - their movement was fantastic and both Tomlin and Zebs seem to have built up a good rapport. Pringle did well on Tuesday, which surprised me as I wasn't impressed at Aldershot. I know I'd only seen Murray for 20mins at Bury but he didnt do enough for me. He should be the one dropped from the squad. At least with Pringle on the left it gives us a clear sub to make (for either Stevens or O'Kane) if we need to liven things up a bit.
macc_matt
Trialist
Trialist

Post by macc_matt »

Jeff wrote:Exactly the sort of game where we have dropped points all season long. Didn't someone post a table saying we are on of the best clubs against the top half, and one of the worst against the bottom?

Looking at the names in the Macc squad, there are very few I know anything about. But year on year they survive, and this will be no different.
We do have a young side at the moment but in Paul Morgan, Nat Brown, Matt Hamshaw and Paul Bolland we have some very experienced players at this level. And I'm sure you know all about Hamza Bencherif now!

We're going to do more than just survive this season and I think that had we not had the 12 months we've had with Keith and Butch then we could have been good enough to reach the play-offs.

The League table is a bit misleading because of the games in hand (against Morecambe and Bradford, so both winnable). You look at Macc, languishing in 18th and think it should be an easy ride. Win one of our games in hand and we're in 15th, win two and with 13th.

I never like to come across as overconfident because it usually bites me on the arse. But we've won four and drawn three of the last nine, and have only conceded five goals in that time! And in the form table....

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D3/oform.html

We're as likely as anyone to shoot ourselves in the foot, but it should be a tougher test than some people would think.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

Fletch wrote: Hang on. If you're going, and you've put a bet on for us to win as well?

We're doomed I tell ya.... :na: :na:
sssh super, dont mention gambling, we'll get done!!
still keeping the faith
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

besides i've made a profit the last 3 saturdays and my well documented success on tuesday too, i'm flying!!
still keeping the faith
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

tommygull wrote:Where are you guys going for a pint before the game? I know there are a few pubs by the station but the ground is in the middle of a housing estate int it?
Theres a bar at the ground called Keiths Bar which allows away fans in, Also does hot food so I'm told.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

macc_matt wrote: We do have a young side at the moment but in Paul Morgan, Nat Brown, Matt Hamshaw and Paul Bolland we have some very experienced players at this level. And I'm sure you know all about Hamza Bencherif now!

We're going to do more than just survive this season and I think that had we not had the 12 months we've had with Keith and Butch then we could have been good enough to reach the play-offs.

The League table is a bit misleading because of the games in hand (against Morecambe and Bradford, so both winnable). You look at Macc, languishing in 18th and think it should be an easy ride. Win one of our games in hand and we're in 15th, win two and with 13th.

I never like to come across as overconfident because it usually bites me on the arse. But we've won four and drawn three of the last nine, and have only conceded five goals in that time! And in the form table....

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D3/oform.html

We're as likely as anyone to shoot ourselves in the foot, but it should be a tougher test than some people would think.
Thanks for the response.

I'm not sure if it did but I didnt mean for any of my post to come across as belittling. I don't know much about your team as I didn't go there last season so haven't seen you guys since we got promoted. Obviously the names you mention are familiar, and I've seen Tyrone Barnett scoring a lot on TFLS. but generally i couldn't comment on much of your squad.

My impression (correct or not) of Macclesfield is similar to Accrington, in that you are a solid team with few real stand-out names but plenty of strength and consistent performers. We are our own worst enemies, and this is exactly the sort of game I can see us slipping up. Especially as I hadn't realised the strength of your recent form.

Seems like a low scoring game could be on the cards. Regardless, always enjoy my trips to Moss Rose and always love a good bit of open terracing!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I think they'll be just like Accrington. It'll be a poor pitch, but we need to take the game by the scruff of the neck and dominate early on.

Get an early goal, then they'll have to attack us, which we like, as we have a pacy frontline. As long as we don't sit back at all then I think we'll be alright.

Got to play well though, as Macc are no mugs and we should respect them as much as we have done with the better sides in the division.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

Just a quick anorak fact

Jose Veiga should be in goal for Macc tommorow. He is a Cape Verde international no less, the only one playing in English football

....thought Torquay's crowds were bad? Macc got just 1067 on Tuesday night against Lincoln City
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

bixieupnorth wrote: sssh super, dont mention gambling, we'll get done!!
yeah right bixie. course we will.....:no:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

this bloke fancies us to win tomor

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/foot ... ntest-bets

as do these

http://www.windrawwin.com/predictionsne ... L2&i=78275

and these

http://www.soccervista.com/England-Leag ... 20749.html
http://www.soccervista.com/Macclesfield ... 41494.html

and every single bookmaker that i've checked makes us clear favourites

all set for a fall?? bloody hope not!

1111 train from sheffield, just in time to battle thru hoards of supers mates on their way to taking 3 pts home from bramall lane i hope! really sunny here, forecast good for macc area tomorrow
still keeping the faith
macc_matt
Trialist
Trialist

Post by macc_matt »

Bookie's know a lot less than they think about this level! We're in better form than you in the last eight.

The chap in the Gruniad needs a calculator. Last time I looked WWD was seven points, not five!

And as for our pitch.. Don't compare it to that cabbage patch at Accy! It's regularly one of the best in the division!
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

We know this could be a tricky one for us Macc_Matt, we know what Torquay are like so no need to be so defensive. Seems you're trying to say that you going to win without actually saying it.
Come the end of the season it's the form over the last 46 that matters not your last eight or nine. Also whilst games in hand sound great if you don't convert them into points they mean nothing.
This game will be tough, I hope we come away with the points but can see a draw.