Southend v Torquay Sat 03/09/22

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gull in black
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gull in black »

Great to see Will get a goal.
Fantastic three points.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

A big and unexpected 3 points. Whilst not wanting to be overly negative from what I’ve heard we were fortunate to win, perhaps a bit like the halifax game. Whilst I hope this will be a turning point I fear we are in for a long season and the best we can hope for is keeping out of a relegation battle. On the positive side sounds like that players gave everything. Big game against Aldershot next week as we have a few tough games coming up.
North Curry House
Skipper
Skipper

Post by North Curry House »

For the second week running, we have doubled our scoring output. Could we do it again against Aldershot to make it three.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I agree with the last poster, the confidence that will come from three points but listening to radio devon not sure how we won, second half southend must have had 20 plus attempts, they just couldnt hit a barn door, our young midfield was overrun from the start and we need some experience in there than manage 90 minutes. Apparently when Hall and Jarvis came on both were still carrying injuries, very pleased for Goodwin who finally got his first goal.
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

I was at the game. We took our chances and then defended like our lives depended on it. I wouldn’t say we were fortunate. Moving forward we need more threat down the flanks so we the central midfielders have an outlet. Most important thing was stopping the rot and that’s exactly what we did.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

At 3.00pm I let pessimism be my first choice as a cushion to soften the blow of another Torquay defeat. After the Woking display no-one really expected the Yellows to outperform the fans expectations. However, there is room in football for expectation, even ludicrous expectation because what is the point of football if you don’t expect to win at it? Whatever happens between now and the end of the season, the only thing we can really expect… is the unexpected.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by thebigp1 »

jono_Gull209 wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 17:39 I was at the game. We took our chances and then defended like our lives depended on it. I wouldn’t say we were fortunate. Moving forward we need more threat down the flanks so we the central midfielders have an outlet. Most important thing was stopping the rot and that’s exactly what we did.
Fair enough. The lack of width has been a constant problem this season and is something that needs addressing if we are to improve.

Out of interest I’ve seen a lot of Southend fans moaning about us time wasting and general gamesmanship. Was that the case? If so, good and it shows the players are learning how to play in this league. I’ve seen so many teams come to Plainmoor and take the piss with Boreham Wood being the latest to do it.
Rootshallbloke
New Signing
New Signing

Post by Rootshallbloke »

I've just got in and even though I got the raging hump, you guys deserved your victory as you defended as if your lives depended on it. The fact that we conceded the first goal after 3 minutes totally threw our rhythm and from then on it was catch up. Based on that performance I'm surprised that you have copped a few losses. If we ever get our goal scoring forwards fit it may be a different result at your place. Good luck from now on.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Believe it or not I I had a tenner and Torquay at 4/1 before the game. That was based on the huge price we were. I ended up trading out in the game and ended up with £20.

We sounded under the cosh from the commentary but wont dwell on that because the win was huge.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Well I was hoping for a point but to take all 3 is a great result.
I am so pleased for Will because he has worked really hard and his goal today which has turned out to be the winning goal will do his confidence the world of good.
Well done to Gary and Aaron for motivating the team to battle for a hard earned but deserving 3 points. COYY.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Looking at the results today it seems to indicate that promotion is already between 4 teams or so who are head and shoulders above anything else. It already looks a mini league between Wrexham, Chesterfield, Solihull and Notts County.

There doesnt appear to be an awful lot in the league other than that though with a fair few poor teams. Doesnt look as competitive as last year though.

I would agree that Goodwin deserved a goal.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Brucie did you trade out at 0-1 or 0-2 or 1-2?
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Great win. Worried it’ll be a flash in the pan unless we bring in a decent winger on loan. Favourable home game next week to build on this, however last year after beating Dover at home (we were poor on that day), we expected to win our next 3 (Barnet, Aldershot, Halifax). Turns out we lost all 3, and our turning point didn’t come until Weymouth away in December.

Hopefully we put together a decent run of form earlier than that this season.

Onwards, up the gulls
DerekDawkinsJnr
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DerekDawkinsJnr »

North Curry House wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 17:32 For the second week running, we have doubled our scoring output. Could we do it again against Aldershot to make it three.
I see what you did there. Very good
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by thebigp1 »

brucie wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 18:07 Looking at the results today it seems to indicate that promotion is already between 4 teams or so who are head and shoulders above anything else. It already looks a mini league between Wrexham, Chesterfield, Solihull and Notts County.

There doesnt appear to be an awful lot in the league other than that though with a fair few poor teams. Doesnt look as competitive as last year though.

I would agree that Goodwin deserved a goal.
I tend to agree with you here. I would be surprised if the top 4 now aren’t the same top 4 at the end of the season with Wrexham ultimately winning it. They will spend their way out of this league.

Everyone else as we have seen this season can beat each other. What worries me about this season is that I would suggest we are at the lower end of this group. Plus last season there were 3 poor teams (Dover, Weymouth and Kings Lyn) a long way adrift of everyone else and you had to be really bad to get dragged into a relegation battle. I may be wrong but relegation appears like it may be more competitive this season and a host of clubs could be involved.