Buckle

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Southampton Gull wrote:
No worries, just trying to clarify how you could have posted this ^^

well, it stands up for itself dave.

afternoon - well ok late afternoon then if we are being precise.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

So......... who in the know would have been ready to tell you something "important" while we were all at Old Trafford, the plot thickens ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

come on dave you know who it is.

and as if i would say on here.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025

TUST Member 468

PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Thought there were some actual thoughts on this thread, on no! just a crappy little quotation war, jesus!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

PlainmoorRoar wrote:Thought there were some actual thoughts on this thread, on no! just a crappy little quotation war, jesus!
what? =D

TUST Member 468

Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

denspad wrote:As for Buckle - very simple - arrogant to the end, very lucky to have got us to the play-off's this season - no tactical genius in my mind - will go where the money is under the illusion that he will make it big one day and has too much confidence in his own ability. Has crap timing by (if we believe the rumours to be true) attending interviews before the biggest game in the clubs history and will no doubt do what he did when he left Exeter and take some of our team with him. Has brought some great players to the club but equally has brought some nightmares (Jodie Banim - Iyseden Christie to name but a few). I don't think he will be a manager I will ever consider to be one of the best we have had. Hand in your resignation on Monday and head North to the money and let's see how you do next season - hopefully we will start rebuilding, ponder on thoughts of what might have been. Having handled the disappointment of relegation out of the football league and the joy of getting back in I can handle anything - season ticket to get first thing Monday morning - hopefully just in time to see Mr Buckle clearing his desk.

See you all next season.

AWJ.
for me, the writing has been on the wall for a long time, and has an unsettling effect on everyone else. 100% agree with den ^^, Buckle's self belief FAR outweighs his actual ability as a manager. don't get me wrong, i'm not jumping on the bandwaggon, because frankly i don't care if he stays or not, BUT i will give him credit for the job he's done. However, the simple fact is, he's not as good as he thinks he is, and today was his biggest challenge, and he was found wanting. terrible substitutions AGAIN, and despite the fact we were the better side today, just lacking that final finish, Bucks was out of his depth to make the sufficient impact from the sidelines. his inability is only second to his arrogance.

no matter where bucks see his immediate future, he could replace pep gaurdiola, but even with that team at his disposal, would make an arse of it. so if he goes to bristol, or wherever, the higher he aims, the more his flaws will be apparent.

as i said, nothing against the guy, he's done well, and if he moves on, so be it, but i only care about torquay united, and if he goes, my only concern is who he takes with him. our team, with one or two additions, could challenge again next year, so the board need to make sure the players stay, when buckle goes. get branston and stanley signed before someone else does !!
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:come on dave you know who it is.

and as if i would say on here.

Precisely, why throw something into the hat by saying "not that i think hes staying - nad even more less so after what ive been told this afternoon". Why not just say what you know and have it out in the open.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

I have talked to Jake Robinson this afternoon and he said that when they asked the gaffer he wouldn't tell them anything. He said he likes to play his cards close to his chest. I said that I had been told that a contract had been signed and he said that is what they had heard. The Stevenage directors sat near us said they had heard that too, I wonder if some sort of agreement was reached depending on what happaned this afternoon. But one thing I do know. Lee mansell Jake Robinson and Guy Branston were all visibly upset at losing this afternoon. Jake had tears and it meant a lot to him. Has all the speculation upset the performance and left them with other things on their minds rather than what should have been on their minds
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

I've read this thing about terrible subs on numerous threads, can i ask what would others have done?

I'm presuming we're all in agreement with the starting XI that's just whooped Shrewsbury? So what would have been brilliant subs? Fact is when we win playing this team Bucks is a genius and when we lose he was arrogant and made crap subs. It's all a load of bollox, the real answer is we as a team didn't turn up for an hour. We had a go last half an hour but it was too little too late. Not Buckle's fault.

The only thing I would have done differently is Kee off for Stevens instead of Robinson. Not sure it would have made any difference. He could have put Macklin on but he hasn't really done anything all season. Other than that he has no real attacking options on the bench because he's named all 4 forwards in the starting XI. That's not arrogance that's reality from having a small budget and small squad. We aren't Man Utd and we don't carry 6 strikers in case of emergencies. Oastler and LRT was just a case of fresh legs but as discussed, he didn't have anything else to turn to.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

We didn't exactly throw the kitchen sink at them for the last 10-15 mins. Branston only moved up on the 88th. Why did Bucks now tell them to go for it?

I have never been a Buckle knows **** fan (check back on posts) and i think he has a massive ego. I am not fussed that he is leaving and I am happy that Hargreaves is our new boss
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

denspad wrote:
As for Buckle - very simple - arrogant to the end, very lucky to have got us to the play-off's this season - no tactical genius in my mind - will go where the money is under the illusion that he will make it big one day and has too much confidence in his own ability. Has crap timing by (if we believe the rumours to be true) attending interviews before the biggest game in the clubs history and will no doubt do what he did when he left Exeter and take some of our team with him. Has brought some great players to the club but equally has brought some nightmares (Jodie Banim - Iyseden Christie to name but a few).
See you all next season.

AWJ.
Oi I wont hear a bad word said about the Fridge.

As for Buckle I think its clear he's going after today. Any manager who intended to stay would of had his players motivated and up for a game like this.
tauntongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by tauntongull »

Was going to give it a break for a few days but just couldn't wait.

Have spent days pondering this one and just can't really work it out. What do we really believe Buckle's motives are for going to BR / Swindon? (as they are both league 2 sides next season it's hardly a meteoric rise to stardom) and why do we feel he has delayed making an announcement on his future? I have been playing most scenarios through my head and wonder why, if he intended to stay, he never stated he was going to stay before the play-off's. This would have, in my opinion, have added more team spirit of 'we are all in this together' before the final.

If he always knew he was going, you could argue that telling players before these important matches would certainly have unsettled things and this was his reason for saying nothing but it is naive to think that people wouldn't find out and rumours would not be in abundance before the game. BR are known to have financial problems and I would imagine that he will have to produce fairly fast results or he could be moving on within several months - obviously a real gamble. However, if I know football clubs they will pay more than they can afford if they feel they will get the results and this will probably couple well with Buckle, his attitude and his desire to have autonomy and control too.

Also, it doesn't make sense why, after the game on Sky, he would be saying things like 'It is important to keep the players together, I feel they will all be together next season - perhaps without Danny Potter' if he was intending to move and take players with him. I also seem to recall he regularly said this year was about building a team to challenge for next season.

Therefore I have come to the opinion that this is primarily about money. His so called 'call to the board/chairman' today will probably (give the result yesterday) be something along the lines of 'I have been offered this.....' - what do you offer for me to stay and what money will I have for next season. I would anticipate an improved salary would be high on his agenda. All in all, I think it is a gamble - hence the procrastination - go and not get results to a team in the same division might be a blot on your career and at the same time you always go when you are on top. We do have a good core side here that he could make better next season but a little greed and to much ego may be the winners in the end.

In my opinion (and I have gone on record before saying I am not a big fan of his) is that he should stay and finish the work he started in building the young team we have today. I think the BR role could be somewhat of a poision chalice - but saying that, his ego wouldn't allow him to view it that way.

Can't wait for tomorrow to see what happen's - I fear like most that his perception that the BR role is more high profile for his career and the financial lure will be winners on the day - I just hope he can deliver (you think our fans give him a hard time!). I could be wrong - I do hope so.

Would be interested on all your thoughts.

Till Monday then.

AWJ
May not be the original, but I am the best 'TauntonGull' .... See I can do signatures too, coz I am a real boy!
Plymouthgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston

Post by Plymouthgull »

Just returned from Manchester and many have said what I feel - we just did not really turn up. However, as far as Buckle position is concerned. If the deal with BR has been done - why wait for tomorow? He should announce it today. Nothing against him and thanks for all your good work but we need to move on asap. With this in mind If players are going with him can you please do the right thing and go as quickly as possible.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Members of both the boards of BRFC and TUFC paths would have crossed there is no doubt that they would be familiar with each other and maybe even have a working relationship ,If Paul Buckle has been offered the BRFC job our board know,our board will also know what he has been offered.

I know our board read this site,my message to them is,this wants sorting out Monday with out fail,if he's going then go,Monday,if he is staying lets hear about it on Monday,it can not go on any longer.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

denspad
Have spent days pondering this one and just can't really work it out. What do we really believe Buckle's motives are for going to BR / Swindon? (as they are both league 2 sides next season it's hardly a meteoric rise to stardom) and why do we feel he has delayed making an announcement on his future? I have been playing most scenarios through my head and wonder why, if he intended to stay, he never stated he was going to stay before the play-off's. This would have, in my opinion, have added more team spirit of 'we are all in this together' before the final.
If he was going to stay he obviously would have made that fact known. I'd be surprised if the players weren't pretty sure in their mind that he was leaving.
You'll recall that Sir Alex made the mistake of announcing his retirement some time in advance & United's performances dropped off substantially. The players no longer have to work to impress you if you're leaving.It's how they perform for the new bloke that will be important.

Has Buckle ever turned down the chance to go ? I've not followed the various sagas as closely as some have over the years. There have been various glitches over compensation etc, but have we ever reached a stage where another Club has offered Buckle a job & he's said no ?

I doubt very much that PB will be breaking any news to the Chairman via telephone this morning. I'm sure the Directors know exactly what's going on & have been working on who to appoint as PB's successor for a few week's now.

It's my personal opinion that players don't improve greatly as a result of being coached by Buckle. It's my guess that the most recent accounts will again show that the Club is living beyond it's means & that the money needed to fund the wages for better players just won't be there..particularly with new grandstand associated costs, lower capacity next season etc. The days of 100k salaries for non playing staff or the small fortune we could throw the way of Mo Camara are over.

It's not an environment in which Buckle could thrive...he's spent the money , the kitty is empty & it's time for him to move on.

He worked extremely hard during his time here, the fact that he was Manager at the time we got back out of non league will always be in his favour.
I think there are definitely some reasons for wishing him well in his new job....but it doesn't stop me feeling sorry for the poor blighter who takes his place, who I expect will have to work with substantially fewer resources than those made abundantly available to PB over the years.

Image Image