How's this for a new manager !!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

My perfect combination would be Bruce Rioch as a general manager teaching someone like Kevin Phillips the ropes. Takes me back 30 years to when Sir Frank O'Farrell did the same for Bruce !
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

He'd still score 20 goals + at this level. Can't imagine he'd fit into the wage structure at Torquay though!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

How's this for a manager :

1. knows his systems.
2. knows when to change systems to suit plans A through to Z against.
3. plays three 6ft+ broken nose ugly skilful b'stards at the back.
4. plays two 6ft+ broken nose ugly skilful b'stards up front.
5. plays two wing backs who can skin a kipper quicker than you can say " red herring/6ft+ broken nose ugly skilful b'stard" in one breath.
6. knows his history of 3-4-3 before the "Ramsey System".
7. knows what "beauty and the beast" means with regard to midfield.
8. is himself a 6ft+ broken nose ugly skilful b'stard who rules all under his command with firmness, fairness and conducts himself with honesty, integrity and humility.
9. takes sh*t from no one.
10. has a sense of humour second to none.

I would be applying for the job myself, but only make one of the ten listed. Aye, it's the last one on the list and some here do not have the grace to afford me that. As SG pointed out in a post past, "Trojan is a Marmite poster - you like it or loath it".

For those who can't make the mind up . . . GO LUMP IT. :nod:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

CP Gull wrote: According to the Herald, the board are considering an experienced Manager with a player/coach .... Rioch and Phillips sounds pretty good to me.

As for money, I doubt that would be any sort of motivation for Phillips .... but really I don't see that as a major factor with any ex Prem player these days as they have surely amassed such a wealth that they really shouldn't need to have to worry about it ever again.
I would agree that he wont need much money no more as he would have got a fair bit from the prem clubs. He may want to move into being a gaffer and would need to start somewhere as he couldnt walk into a bigger job. Nothing wrong with starting in league 2 with Torquay.

Can say the same about Paolo Di Canio what is he doing at swindon, but he has to start somewhere too but who says Mr Phillips wouldnt want to come to us and start his coaching career.

I doubt he will, im not saying he will. Just you never know theres only 92 league teams and many pros will want to start somewhere and not enough jobs for the amount of people out there.
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

tommyg wrote:Where the heck have they got Kevin Phillips' name from? I couldn't see him coming down here on a player-coach deal. He can still do a job in the Championship as a player and I'm sure there will be clubs at that level who could throw in a coaching deal with that. Surely the only way he'd even consider us is if we offered him the job as manager, but then the board apparently want an experienced name. Non-starter for me, but interesting just to be linked with him.
Yes I agree,& I would guess that he would have plenty of contacts that would be able to give him advice if he needed it. K.P. is also a hard working player, so he would carry on from P.B. & maintain the work ethic that has played a large part in the teams recent success. I believe that he would get 20+ goals next year in L2, & it goes without saying that we would never be able to get a player of his ability & class down here. Additionaly, it would be very nice to see one or two premiership "starlets" down here on loan, gracing the hallowed turf of Brainmore. I would not be surprised if he put an extra 400 on the gate, & also attracted increased season ticket sales. :bow: :bow: :clap: :clap: :-D :-D
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Rioch / Phillips is a dream. Never going to happen. Would love to be wrong but I am not!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
allez mons
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by allez mons »

I very much doubt the Phillips link. That said, I certain Mr Paul Ince (Man Utd, Inter Milan, Liverpool etc..) cut his managerial teeth - while doing a cracking job - at then bottom of League 2 Macclesfield, saving them from conference football...........
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

If he joined us as player/assistant manager/coach or whatever tag you wanted to give him, having him play up front for us would shorten our odds on promotion. That guy could score goals for fun still at this level
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

allez mons wrote:I very much doubt the Phillips link. That said, I certain Mr Paul Ince (Man Utd, Inter Milan, Liverpool etc..) cut his managerial teeth - while doing a cracking job - at then bottom of League 2 Macclesfield, saving them from conference football...........
Difference is Phillips still could do a very decent job at a Championship side as a player - let alone League 2. Player Manager would be a bad choice for us and I very much doubt we could afford or he would take the role of player coach.

This is just a pipedream - one we all would love to be true but the chances of seeing 'Super Kev' here next season (as a player coach) is about as likely as Buckle guiding Rovers to the Premiership title.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Richinns wrote:
Difference is Phillips still could do a very decent job at a Championship side as a player - let alone League 2. Player Manager would be a bad choice for us and I very much doubt we could afford or he would take the role of player coach.

This is just a pipedream - one we all would love to be true but the chances of seeing 'Super Kev' here next season (as a player coach) is about as likely as Buckle guiding Rovers to the Premiership title.[/quote]

Well with his ego and the rovers fans view on how big there club is. Good chance to see him here then :lol:
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

much as the idea of super kev coming down to us for his big break in coaching/management is an appertising prospect, i fear like other posters here, he may get offers higher up. the main reason being, as you've pretty much all agreed, he still has a lot to offer ON the pitch. he could realistically do a job at swansea for example, in the way he's done at Brum, or maybe one of the Div1 promoted sides, or championship relegated clubs. i'm sure he won't be short of offers, but i don't think money would be a motivator for him, so you never know, he may see the TUFC project as a perfect place to start.

has anyone mentioned Peter Taylor ?? sorry if i missed it if anyone has discussed him. i don't even know what he's doing now to be honest, but could imagine him being interested. not saying he'd be my choice, as you never quite know what you're gonna get with him. he's had his fair share of failures, and i'm surprised he did so badly at Bradford, because i think he's tactically pretty good. i still remember him bouncing on the managerial scene with the england u-21s, and did a great job, and i think with our established squad, he could do something. like i said though, he seems to be either very good, or bloody awful, so would be a gamble. i think part of the bradford failure was due to him literally ripping apart what they had, making a few pricey signings, and never got it to gell. he wouldn't need to do that at TUFC, and shouldn't be an issue as he wouldn't be given the money to do so.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

regiment wrote:much as the idea of super kev coming down to us for his big break in coaching/management is an appertising prospect, i fear like other posters here, he may get offers higher up. the main reason being, as you've pretty much all agreed, he still has a lot to offer ON the pitch. he could realistically do a job at swansea for example, in the way he's done at Brum, or maybe one of the Div1 promoted sides, or championship relegated clubs. i'm sure he won't be short of offers, but i don't think money would be a motivator for him, so you never know, he may see the TUFC project as a perfect place to start.

has anyone mentioned Peter Taylor ?? sorry if i missed it if anyone has discussed him. i don't even know what he's doing now to be honest, but could imagine him being interested. not saying he'd be my choice, as you never quite know what you're gonna get with him. he's had his fair share of failures, and i'm surprised he did so badly at Bradford, because i think he's tactically pretty good. i still remember him bouncing on the managerial scene with the england u-21s, and did a great job, and i think with our established squad, he could do something. like i said though, he seems to be either very good, or bloody awful, so would be a gamble. i think part of the bradford failure was due to him literally ripping apart what they had, making a few pricey signings, and never got it to gell. he wouldn't need to do that at TUFC, and shouldn't be an issue as he wouldn't be given the money to do so.
Which is essentially why he wouldn't come here i imagine.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

peter taylor?? :no:

come on regiment do me a favour!
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:peter taylor?? :no:

come on regiment do me a favour!
ha ha. like i said, he wouldn't my first choice, he's too unpredictable, i just wondered if he would throw his hat in. just thinking aloud based on the boards comments about "experience", and he's another who's coached/managed at all levels. it's been a long day, maybe i should slowly back away from the keyboard !! :)
Brady

I Wish I Was There
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

That's that sorted then. Peter Reid is the new experienced manager with Kevin Phillips as the player/assistant manager.
About time we poached from them down the road rather than the other way around!
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084