The Shortlist

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

with regard to the above post on finances - there is a thread on here that seems to suggest otherwise. something about being up a creek...
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
AndyC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by AndyC »

SPL fans in the office cannot believe that John Hughes applied for this job. Did a fantastic job with Hibs and apparently was only ousted because of internal politics.

Of the names on the list, not bothered about Holdsworth, although did okay with Mansfield on an even tighter budget than ours, or Hargreaves.

McParland has a good track record as a coach, not so much as a manager, Forster and Russell I like.
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

His brief stint as a caretaker at Brentford aside I am wondering how is Nicky Forster any better qualified than Greavsie or Aggy?

They would all make good assistants to an experienced manager with the right knowledge and contacts for Division 2 football, which is where this list becomes very short IMHO.

On that basis, and from this list, my vote would be for McParland and Jesus.
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Is it that Forster might have a better contact list?
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

The stand out name on that list is John Hughes. According to Wikipedia:
"Hughes landed his first managerial job in 2003, when he and Owen Coyle were appointed co-managers of Falkirk. Coyle subsequently left Falkirk to join Ian McCall at Dundee United, leaving Hughes in sole charge. Hughes then guided Falkirk to promotion to the Scottish Premier League in 2005. As well as maintaining their SPL status for four seasons, Hughes led Falkirk to the 2009 Scottish Cup Final.
Hughes was appointed Hibernian manager in the 2009 close season. He guided the club to Europa League qualification in his first season in charge, as they finished in fourth place in the SPL. Poor results at the start of the following season, however, led to fans jeering their own team. Hughes left the club by mutual consent on 4 October following a 2–0 defeat against St. Johnstone.
"

I still like the idea of Nicky Forster with his knowledge of Leagues 1 & 2 but Hughes' CV just looks too good to pass up.

I guess at the end of the day it depends how well they interview. Apparently the reason for Glenn Roedder got the top jobs he did was because of his ability at interview.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Fair to say i don't know enough about some of the names on that list, but i can't see how the Scottish contingent would know a great deal about our level of the game? Personally, i'd still go for Forster. Has played and managed near our level of the game in the very recent past, and i'm sure has plenty of contacts at clubs we could realistically look to for players. Like the idea of Russell in a player/coach role, but not sure having a popular ex-player under a relatively inexperienced manager would work. It would naturally create pressure on the manager because if results weren't great you can be sure there would be calls for Russell's 'promotion'.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
TUFC92
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by TUFC92 »

I'd be more than happy with Forster and Hargreaves/Russell, preferably Russell because he could still play too. If not, my other choice would be Hughes and Bullen.

Forster and Russell are my first choice. Looking forward to this now!
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

It's a reasonable list in fairness. I'm amazed John Hughes is interested.

McParland did a good job with Notts and was badly treated there, Russell and Hargreaves the sentiment option, Forster the unproven but Buckle esque option, Holdsworth used to working on a budget, the chock one is John Hughes. I never thought he'd be itnerested in a job in League 2 nevermind the Torquay one. His list of contacts would concern me slightly, having not really been involved in the English game and clubs that recruit mainly Scottish players tend to really struggle down here.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Forster was my choice up until now, but John Hughes leaps to the top of the list for me. Not only a fantastic track record results wise but sublime football. He served under Owen Coyle and Falkirk played similar football to the Burnley side that Coyle took up to the prem.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Well. That was a surprise shortlist. I really didn't expect a couple from Up over the border.
Looking at the list I am not sure about Hargreaves much as I like him. He is too close to the lads and I can't see him as a boss yet.
It would be interesting to see him in coach role for a while. and then see if he has the mettle to step up.
Nicky Forster. Now that seems to be the populist choice among many. Loads of contacts. but the problem with that that I wonder is, Will many of those contacts be able to produce players we can bring down either permenantly or on loan within our budget..
We did have a coach/manager who was pilloried mostly because he was the hated Chairmans Choise. You know who I mean. The nitwit who was in charge before our present board.( I still can't bring myself to mention his name without nightmares) Lubos Had ideas and loads of contacts to bring in players from abroad. Fine. It was a good idea, and he no doubt had some brilliant players in mind for us. But as history showed when he got here he realised the budget wouldn't stretch that far. Would Forster find the same as well.You can have all the contacts in the world,but if they all lead to ex prem players or Championship level I doubt we can afford them. Or is his coaching ability good enough to get us somewhere by finding young up and coming talent.
I like the idea of the Scottish pair. They will have a load of contacts both over the border and south as well. The League in Scotland has much closer contact with it's English counterpart these days and that is born out by the number of English players in their leagues. That and his past record and coaching ability could be a factor. if this other guy is indeed linked to him it should be a really good pairing.Lee Bullen also looks remarkably Like The Pickler and if he is tough like him should be a good leader. I doubt he has the legs anymore but that remains to be seen. we need a big ugly sod in our line up to scare the opposition witless. They also have had to learn to survive and prosper in thin budgets and that is good for us. That main fact is that Hughes led Falkirk to Promotion and a cup final. Now that for a small club on crowds the size of ours is amazing. it also seems that a pairing with his previous partner would be good but as has also been proved he could do the job on his own as well.
I can't say I am excited about any of the others except maybe Alex Russel. The main question in my mind there is Is he a good leader. has he captained many of the sides he has player for and what is the evidence to support his application. Would he pair up with Hargreaves. Strong posibility if he is boss with Hargeaves no.2. Would he still be looking to play (I think he may be) and what contacts has he got. He is the dark horse for me.
Other than that I was miffed they didn't pick me. and Mr Blobby didn't make the shortlist either. judging by the mistakes made in the last few weeks I wouldn't have been surprised at Mr Blobby in charge and that would have been an interesting appointment. Imagine. Their team takes to the field only to have My Blobby bounce on them. all then taken off injured .
Well I ask you. Paul Baker seems a bit too much like one of the lads. yes he made a good living and no doubt had loads of money but just witness a nemisis who tried the same. At St james Park.(no not sid James) He was too close to the fans even to the point of wearing their shirt on TV. But made himself look a clown as a result. May just as well have had Gazza as Chairman. I hope I am wrong but thats how it seems to me. You can't be a nice guy in this game and survive. not without a lot of pain.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Of those, Alex Russell and Chris Hargreaves are only anywhere near the job because of their associations with Torquay. neither should be in the running unless working under someone like Rioch.

Holdsworth and McParland have both disappointed as managers and I would be gutted and seriously annoyed if either of them got it. Hardly quality at all. Dross more like.

That leaves Hughes and Forster.

Both reasonable but I would go for John Hughes. If he wants the job he has a proven track record and it would be madness to ignore his claims and plump for someone like Hargreaves.

It would be like Bateson ignoring Micky Adams and going for Wes Saunders.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

Have to say I agree with hector above here. It's a risk to go for Hargreaves or Russell. I would imagine Hughes would cost more, would bring hsi own staff with him and request more in a playing budget. What he knows about lower league English football would be up for debate, maybe he's done his homework who knows? But he's done well as a manager in Scotland before, did well with Hibs, and hopefully learned from the disappointing start to last season with them.

Russell or Hargreaves would get the fans support, yes there may be groans about lack of experience but would anyone seriously be pi$$ed off to see Greavsie again? i doubt it. But i think it would be heart ruling head. We're going to have a tougher season next year, i'm convinced on that and someone a bit more ruthless, maybe someone like Hughes whose completely out of the loop, no favourites is whats needed for that.

If they are going down the Hughes route they need to do it quickly because he'd need more time than anyone else to asssess and sort out contracts for new players. I'm certain he'd bring in a big sea of change.

McParland might be someone in the middle, experienced, wouldn't say he's failed as a manager he did well at Notts County and was a victim of their nonsense period and didn't he and someone else completely turn Forest around as caretaker managers the other year when they looked dead and buried? Think he was well liked by the players, i wouldn't be totally against him. I like Forster, he'd be a gamble but probably more deserving than the other two of a punt. interesting decision, good list of candidates i feel.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Well you always wondered whether there would be one or two surprise candidates in there and they haven't let us down! My personal preference up to now has been Nicky Forster and I would still be more than happy if it was him but the real "wild card" has surely got to be John "Yogi" Hughes who is well thought of north of the border having mananged both Falkirk and Hibs in the SPL. He certainly likes to play an attractive, passing game and his achievements at Falkirk were pretty impressive.

Hughes would certainly be the stand out Manager (based on success/experience) in that list in my opinion and having worked with Owen Coyle you would hope that he would be able to call in a few favours there - like others have said though the major concern would be what does he know about foorball in England, let alone at this level and what sort of contacts would he have? He would represent a bit of a gamble but then in all honesty so would anyone else on that list.

Oh and rather than a Sports Analyst we might need to make room in the non playing budget for a translator!!!! :lol:
Last edited by CP Gull on 08 Jun 2011, 11:04, edited 2 times in total.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

Promotion to SPL with Falkirk, kept them up for 4 seasons and took them to Scottish Cup final
4th place and Europa League with Hibs.

in terms of actual achievements he's lightyears in front of anyone else, to do that with a club like Falkirk and for Hibs to get 4th is a good year for them.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Nicky Forster with Hargreaves as coach - dream team?
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint