Your worst ever XI

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

AndyC wrote:I says it as I sees it - he's still playing isn't he?
I know Ian pretty well. Still involved with Upton last i heard but i don't see him often.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Staffsgull1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Staffsgull1 »

I remember the Mansfield game, Priso was particularly inept, but I was also at the terrible Barnsley game and we were so depleted that our centre back partnership that day was Matt Hockley and Brian mcglinchey. Anthony Pulis was subbed after about 30 minutes, and I'll never understand how he stayed on the pitch so long.

The same season we played Tranmere away and remember that being as bad, we were missing Alex Russell and had the most anonymous Midfield which i've just looked up as Boardley, Woodman and Gosling. Other slightly older players worth a mention are full backs Dudley Lewis and Sean Hankin, the mysterious Alan Hay, goalkeeper Mathew Lowe, centreforward John Muir, and then there were the likes of Ollie Morah, Bruno Merellies, Osvaldo Lopes that disappeared without trace very quickly.

We got hammered away at Halifax a few years ago, that was really bad, most of that team should be in the squad.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Fonda wrote: I know Ian pretty well. Still involved with Upton last i heard but i don't see him often.

Likewise, and played against his dad and his dad's brothers when Upton were a real force.

It's not an "over achievement" (dislike that saying I do) to play for the town of your birth.

The Bastow family have earned the respect of the local football community and I don't knock a local made good.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

Staffsgull1 wrote:I remember the Mansfield game, Priso was particularly inept, but I was also at the terrible Barnsley game and we were so depleted that our centre back partnership that day was Matt Hockley and Brian mcglinchey. Anthony Pulis was subbed after about 30 minutes, and I'll never understand how he stayed on the pitch so long.

The same season we played Tranmere away and remember that being as bad, we were missing Alex Russell and had the most anonymous Midfield which i've just looked up as Boardley, Woodman and Gosling. Other slightly older players worth a mention are full backs Dudley Lewis and Sean Hankin, the mysterious Alan Hay, goalkeeper Mathew Lowe, centreforward John Muir, and then there were the likes of Ollie Morah, Bruno Merellies, Osvaldo Lopes that disappeared without trace very quickly.
Anthony Pulis is still just as useless - joined Barnet on loan earlier this season and made his debut in the fixture against us at Underhill in February. Managed to get himself sent off within 25 minutes of the kick-off for a lunging tackle on Zebs. Completely and utterly awful.

I actually quite liked Stuart Boardley myself (was quite useful in an away game at Peterborough) but each to their own!
The thing with the likes of Mereilles, Lopes (few others for that list - Ashley Keane and Ryan Ashford) is that they did so little, everyone's forgotten about them!

In fact, wasn't it Keane and Mereilles who Leroy subbed midway through their first games, and subsequently released straight afterwards for being so rubbish?
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

I thought Merrielles was decent. Remeber him playing away at Luton back in the days we were in League One and did quite well from memory.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

If mereiles is who I think it was, he wasn't that bad, didn't really adapt to the pace of this league i think, but had a bit of class about him. Ran the show against Exeter though in the pre-season game, thought we had unearthed a gem.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Eerm, sorry guys, isn't Tony Pulis the Stoke manager?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

ferrarilover wrote:Eerm, sorry guys, isn't Tony Pulis the Stoke manager?

Matt.
Anthony's his son. Dreadful, dreadful player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Pulis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
andygull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by andygull »

The worst player i have ever seen pull on a torquay shirt is jamal easter. I remember a game towards the end of our league 2 relegation season away at Rochdale and that confirmed this after many, many hours already passed of watching his dire, inept performances. He couldn't control or keep the ball, he passed it to an opponent on every occasion and his shots were as accurate as any woman throwing darts on Bullseye!! Needless to say we lost and were subsequently relegated. He was really shit. Close behind is Danny Stevens. The only thing he can do is run fast. He should be an athlete not a footballer.
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

yellowforever wrote:If mereiles is who I think it was, he wasn't that bad, didn't really adapt to the pace of this league i think, but had a bit of class about him. Ran the show against Exeter though in the pre-season game, thought we had unearthed a gem.
Yes you're right. Appears I may have short shrifted him...did a little research and he actually made 10 appearances in total, and come to think of it I saw him play in an away game at the MK Dons (when they played at the Hockey Stadium) and he was better than I've given him credit for. You're right about him not adapting though - he certainly liked to 'conserve his energy' :)
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

yellowforever wrote:If mereiles is who I think it was, he wasn't that bad, didn't really adapt to the pace of this league i think, but had a bit of class about him. Ran the show against Exeter though in the pre-season game, thought we had unearthed a gem.
Was at that game, and thought exactly the same. It looked for all the world we had a player on trial that should have been 2 Leagues above. Can only tell so much from a friendly i suppose.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Trojan 67 wrote:
Likewise, and played against his dad and his dad's brothers when Upton were a real force.

It's not an "over achievement" (dislike that saying I do) to play for the town of your birth.

The Bastow family have earned the respect of the local football community and I don't knock a local made good.
Agreed. Including Darren, possibly the best of the lot (of the 'next' generation) who was at Plymouth.
Warwickgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: HOWE

Post by Warwickgull »

Cannot believe the name Mark Dobie hasn't been mentioned, what a sack of sh*t he was! I was convinced my Doberman could have played instead of this guy and been of more use on the pitch. Couldn't hit a frickin beach ball with a tennis racket, an absolute joke of a player, plus we payed 10 grand for him, incredible!

91-92 season I think :red:
Everybody has a photographic memory, some people just dont have film.
SmoothinPedally
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by SmoothinPedally »

There's been a thread for best 11 and worst 11, maybe we should have one for a sort of middling/moderate standard 11 of players that everyone has forgotten about.

Does anyone remember Neville Roach? I saw him come on for his debut at Plainmoor for the last 20 mins of a game and thought he was brilliant, the new Rodney Jack. The fact that he only made a handful of other appearances and then disappeared suggests I was mistaken.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

;-)
Fonda wrote: Agreed. Including Darren, possibly the best of the lot (of the 'next' generation) who was at Plymouth.

Richard's son and still the youngest ever goalscorer for Plymouth Argyle when he scored on his debut after coming on as a substitute. :bow:

And a former Torre Trojan. :clap: (the "next" generation, of course). ;-)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"