Seems like Oastler is off too ...

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Would rather have Oastler here than not but he really could be replaced in about 10 seconds. Steady squad player but never going to win you a game.
AndyC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by AndyC »

Course he might not suit Ling's plan.

Who knows whether Manse heads back to midfield.
basil75
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by basil75 »

Does Buckle not know of anyone half decent outside of Torquay - it's getting ridiculous now.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

As with any Manager who has been at a club a long time the most of the players will come from that club or have had contacts with that club ie on loan at the club over the period he was there. I imagine you will probably see a few Leyton Orient players coming your way. To be fair to Buckle as I understand it the only actual Torquay player signed to date is Bevan. I am sure over the next few weeks you will have some exciting times as new faces come in.
basil75
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by basil75 »

While Bevan is the only official Torquay player, others have Torquay connections.

Considering he's gone to a "bigger club with a lot more resources", you'd think he'd want to assemble something more than a glorified Torquay squad that was, as Buckle likes to point out, put together on a shoestring budget.

But so far, Stanley, Bevan and Carayol all have Torquay connections. Branston rejected you, Buckle's after Zebroski and possibly Oastler and Lathorpe as well. No doubt he'd want O'kane if he could afford him also.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

I accept your points as regards the connection with Torquay but as regards the bigger club with more resources this is questionable taking into account the fact that he probably has to bring 11 new players in. As I understand it you actually offered Branston more money than us!!! I think the days of us being big payers are gone thank god. I can really only see us signing players on a free transfer or low transfer fees. Zebroski might be the exception but no way would I say for certain that we will come in for him. As regards Oastner and the other player mentioned I will be really surprised if we come in for them as if we were interested I would have thought they would have been signed last week. As I did say in my last post I will be surprised if Martin Ling doesnt bring in some ex Leyton orient players.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Bucks did exactly the same thing when he got the Torquay job, took people he knew either personally or players that were proven in the BSP.

He's doing that again. I don't think he has great contacts in the game which is one of his draw backs as a manager, highlighted by his signings tend to come either from the same club or are just players he previously worked with.
vinny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jordan Chappel

Post by vinny »

Exactly.....how many Exeter players did we sign or were linked with when Buckle 1st took over ?....we signed.....Martin Rice, Chris Todd, Lee Phillips, and a year later Wayne Carlisle.
WHG
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by WHG »

CP Gull wrote: It's a difficult one though isn't it Dave.

In reality, I'm pretty sure that Bucks willl be reminding the Board with every offer that he makes that whatever happens if we don't sell Zebs now then OK he will pick him up for NOTHING next summer. At the end of the day, all parties concerned know that there is a point at which TUFC will cave in and accept their offer ... it might be £30k, it might be £50k, it might be £75k ... who knows? But there is a point, as we all know, at which TUFC will do the deal ... it's just a matter of how much Buckle wants to get him in now, or whether he is prepared to wait another 12 months.

As for Oastler, I would be very surprised if he doesn't move on.
Rumours going round that BR offered £30k after first offer turned down.Board are seriously considering it.
Hope this is not the case. I think he is a much better player than Benyon and look what we got for him.
On the downside he does seem to carry a bit of 'baggage' with him which Buckle knows all about.
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

If Rovers fans think Zebroski "isn't that good" well they're gunna have a rude awakening with Oastler in their side. Stanley, Bevan, Robinson & Robinson are all big losses but Oastler? Couldn't care less.

It summed it up for me with his brief cameo in the Stevenage game. Fresh legs & all that, someone completely burnt past snail-paced Oastler, he brought him down & got booked. Not too fussed missing that next season.
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

Boom Boom wrote:If Rovers fans think Zebroski "isn't that good" well they're gunna have a rude awakening with Oastler in their side. Stanley, Bevan, Robinson & Robinson are all big losses but Oastler? Couldn't care less.

It summed it up for me with his brief cameo in the Stevenage game. Fresh legs & all that, someone completely burnt past snail-paced Oastler, he brought him down & got booked. Not too fussed missing that next season.
And sometimes you have to do that in football. Stevenage had a break on and if he hadn't brought the guy down they could easily have gone on and scored and it would've been game over. Worth picking up a yellow card for. As for the post earlier about him 'never going to win us a game' - that's not exactly his role in the side is it?
gullsrus
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by gullsrus »

totally agree. he actually kept the game alive by doing that tackle because imo they would have gone on to score. it is a tad harsh to compare him with stanley, bevan etc as he is only 20 and has potential to improve .
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

I perceived (stand to be corrected) it wasn't a professional foul, it was a genuine attempt to win the ball, which he wasn't successful in. Not a great loss or indeed a matchwinner. But the latter isn't his job of course.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I wish Lathrope had taken out Mousinho...
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

Boom Boom, when you say "If Rovers fans think Zebroski "isn't that good" I think you are only talking about a few fans on our forum and they are purely making that decision based on the Play off final which wasnt one of his better days I would say. The majority ,I would think,can see that he is far better than anything we had up front bar Hoskins and with the right players Zebrowski could be a gem for us as he is for you. (I mean the right players in our side, I am not disrespecting the players you had rather looking at it that if he scored 15 in a good Torquay side and he played for us alongside Harrold who scored 9 then we would be looking at about 25 from our front two which would not be enough to be successful) What is he worth?well that is the million pound question. To you it probably nears £200,000 but in all honesty I would be very surprised ih he went much over the £100,000 in this current market where players either seem to go for x million or next to nothing. Gone are the days where "small" clubs (and I include us and you in that) get high transfer fees for our players.
As regards your point on Oastler I think this is just a rumour generated by one forum member and I will be very surprised if he does come to us. I would have thought if he was coming to us as an out of contract player (I believe he is but not sure) then he would have been here by now.
It is amazing on our forum when people say "We should be signing better" when the truth is last season we were a VERY poor League 1 side and this year we are what we are - a League 2 side who had we played in League 2 last season with the squad we had would have finished well below you in midtable.