Two Poss Signings

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

As stated I have never had a problem with rumours whether they are right or wrong, and to prove this I even suggested directly to Louis that he should consider adding a rumours sub board to the site.

The issue for me is rumurchap said he would apologise if his rumour was wrong, it was, although I can see how the name Olejnik could become legzdins being passed from one person to another(and if this is the case,just say so rumurchap), and it seems he will not apologise, a striking lack of sincerity there for me, which leads me to take what he has put on this thread with a pinch of salt.

If any of these sign and I am wrong, then I will apologise to rumurchap on this thread, the difference being I actually will.

I think for a bit of fun, we should have a game Teeboo.v.rumurchap,the winner will be the one who gets the most rumours right, if I have it right ,I think Teeboo is 4.0 up. :)
Formerly known as forevertufc
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I don't see a problem for north of the border footballers settling here in Torquay as there's a sizeable Scottish community here already, most of them from Glasgow. :nod:

Alan Martin, if he arrives, should feel at home.

Sadly, if he likes it here and settles, there's no longer an Upton Vale FC for him to drop down into to carry on playing with his fellow countrymen. ;-)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Trojan 67 wrote:I don't see a problem for north of the border footballers settling here in Torquay as there's a sizeable Scottish community here already, most of them from Glasgow. :nod:

Alan Martin, if he arrives, should feel at home.

Sadly, if he likes it here and settles, there's no longer an Upton Vale FC for him to drop down into to carry on playing with his fellow countrymen. ;-)
Is there not a Queen Elizabeth Drive FC yet?
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

usagullmichigan wrote:Is there not a Queen Elizabeth Drive FC yet?

In the main,Jocks ain't the problem. Mancs,Scousers and the associated drugs and thieving are the problem. You have to go to Manchester/Liverpool to realise all Mancs/Scousers are not that way inclined, but many of them down here are.

QED is still dubious, but no where near as bad as it was ten years ago and I know because I had regular call-outs there. One particular block had severe problems. Most of the older, more responsible residents, have been relocated to more sedate areas.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Trojan 67 I played for Upton Vale in the 1960's!!.I am still in touch 45years later with several of my old team mates.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

The Upton Vale I remember playing against in the early 1970's had Terry Wright at the back, Roger Havill up front and former Torquay pro John Evans on the wing. ;-)

The Jocks and Scousers came later (1980's).

Edit : I remember the late Howard Wells who played at the back for Vale and was a regular member of the Upton Social Club. Been a member there myself since '74 but don't visit as often these days.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Trojan 67 wrote:
In the main,Jocks ain't the problem. Mancs,Scousers and the associated drugs and thieving are the problem. You have to go to Manchester/Liverpool to realise all Mancs/Scousers are not that way inclined, but many of them down here are.

QED is still dubious, but no where near as bad as it was ten years ago and I know because I had regular call-outs there. One particular block had severe problems. Most of the older, more responsible residents, have been relocated to more sedate areas.
My mum is a Manc so I know all are not bad. earlt to mid 90's QED was truely awful and should of been a place for nuclear testing.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

AndyC wrote:Godsmark played against us for Hereford a couple of seasons ago and was brilliant before tiring - he's been playing local north-east football for Ashington recently though - doesn't bode well.

Know nothing of Linn at all but he's tiny (5-7) according to his Wikipedia page (no reason to disbelieve this time) - no problem with taking a look at him if he proves to be another Dave Caldwell!!
I can remember Godsmark putting in a MOM perfromance in that game too, Andy. From memory he looked like a young kid who looked anything but a professional footballer but when he got the ball he was quick and very good in possession. It was ony after the game that I realised that he was on loan from Newcastle and I must admit that the quality that he showed that day that I thought he would have a decent future in the game and so I'm really quite surprised that he is now playing at the level he is now at.

If he can reproduce what he showed for Hereford that day at Plainmoor then he could be a decent capture - but yet again he is one (of which there are already a few in the squad) who may lack the physical attributes needed to make it in pro football.
Last edited by CP Gull on 03 Jul 2011, 20:00, edited 2 times in total.
AndyC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by AndyC »

A Gulls fan, who might well be a member here still (he certainly was), who supports Ashington told me we offered Godsmark something last summer but he opted to stay nearer home. Perhaps he's been on Ling's radar as well. As CP says he was a definite man of the match for Hereford that day, in fact I think he gave Nicho a real run-around.

Certainly would be more interested in him than the other options for wing berths, including supposed signing Andy Parkinson.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

rumurchap wrote:Torquay Are Talking To 22year old goalkeeper Alan Martin who is currently without a club and 25year old striker Bobby Linn from Scotland 2nd Division East Fife.

Both of these are far from complete but talks have taken place. I believe there is a possibility that Alan Martin may be at training tomorrow. Also on trial this coming week is a midfielder called Jonny Godsmark.
Thank you rumurchap.

These potential signings are surely so obscure that they simply must be true!!! No one could make this sort of stuff up !

As others have said, whilst you were well wide of the mark with the Legzdins is signing rumour - it is very easy to see how Olejnik could become Legzdins when the name was passed onto you.

Anyway back to the rumours - quite like the sound of Martin, he would seem to fit the bill for a possible number two. He seems to have been highly rated at Ayr: http://www.ayrshirepost.net/ayrshire-sp ... -28387637/ and a quick search of Google reveals that Barrow (where he has been on loan a couple of times) are rumoured to be interested in signing him.

Not so sure about Linn though as although he 's scored a fair few goals I'm really not too sure what the level is like at Scottish League Two and how it would compare with our own L2.
Last edited by CP Gull on 03 Jul 2011, 19:36, edited 3 times in total.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Clarification is needed here.

There are some footballers playing District League football who are good enough to play pro football.

The reason most don't is because they are not good enough to consistently perform to professional League standard.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

CP Gull wrote: Thank you rumurchap.

These potential signings are surely so obscure that they simply must be true!!! No one could make this sort of stuff up !

As others have said, whilst you were well wide of the mark with the Legzdins is signing rumour - it is very easy to see how Olejnik could become Legzdins when the name was passed onto you.

Anyway back to the rumours - quite like the sound of Martin, he would seem to fit the bill for a possible number two. He seems to have been highly rated at Ayr: http://www.ayrshirepost.net/ayrshire-sp ... -28387637/ and a quick search of Google reveals that Barrow (where he has been on loan a couple of times) are rumoured to be interested in signing him.

Not so sure about Linn though as although he 's scored a fair few goals I'm really not too sure what the level is like at Scottish League Two and how it would compare with our own L2.
I would imagine it is closer to the Matlock Town standard than League 2 and for that standard he has not scored that many goals (nowhere near Ross Hannah for example). 31 goals in 131 appearances for East Fife is not an exciting return if he is playing as a striker.

However - Wiki indicates he is a striker/winger so if he has been playing on the wing then that is a different story and a very decent return. Anybody have further info as to which it is?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

According to East Fife's website it says that Bobby Linn is a forward.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

I think he is predominantly a right winger (from google results!) but can play up front if needed. More than worth a look if true.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
rumurchap
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by rumurchap »

Can i just say that the club are only talking to these two and godsmark is on trial !! I am not on here saying they will defo sign or anything so if they don't join don't go blaming me. As for Legzdins, I got told that he was definately talking and did agree to come to the club, I am not sure what happened here or if still coming on loan. Sorry but I was just passing on information. I am led to believe David Partridge may be close to joining the club as a player/coach. Ling had him at Orient and then took him to Cambridge..he has 7 caps for Wales and is currently unattached.