Competition for Olejnik

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
united09
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by united09 »

AlexGulls wrote:Hope not. He wasnt even good enough for the BSP with us let alone League Two. The fact he's also an Exeter fan means I'd rather we didnt touch him with a barge pole.
Make that a barge pole with sh** on!!!! A no from too :red:
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

The 'advantage' of Rice is that you get a player who is cheap, that doesn't mind helping in the warm-up and sitting on the bench. Olejnik is Number 1, so in a sense, it doesn't matter who his back-up is. Rice is good enough to cover if Olejnik got injured in a game. If it was any more long-term than that, we could get a loanee in. In summary, as long as he's never required to play, i'd be quite happy to have Rice as number 2. It might mean we have more money to spend elsewhere.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

he is a much improved and better keeper than the one that was here before. 2 full years in a physical strong league he's learnt how to deal better with crosses which was his major weakness. He trains really well, (was training with TUFC last year), helped out when Kenny had his op, voluntarily to help the club and the players think a lot of him.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Fonda wrote:The 'advantage' of Rice is that you get a player who is cheap, that doesn't mind helping in the warm-up and sitting on the bench. Olejnik is Number 1, so in a sense, it doesn't matter who his back-up is. Rice is good enough to cover if Olejnik got injured in a game. If it was any more long-term than that, we could get a loanee in. In summary, as long as he's never required to play, i'd be quite happy to have Rice as number 2. It might mean we have more money to spend elsewhere.

Cheap ? I'm not sure whether he said £300 a week at Truro :nod: or £300 a game :O

Give up his day job and his 'keeper duties for Truro, and I can't see a wage of less than £600+ a week. That's cheap ?

Anyway, I'm no teeboo and if there was truth in the rumour, teeboo would have been on here with it first. :nod:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

royalgull wrote:he is a much improved and better keeper than the one that was here before. 2 full years in a physical strong league he's learnt how to deal better with crosses which was his major weakness. He trains really well, (was training with TUFC last year), helped out when Kenny had his op, voluntarily to help the club and the players think a lot of him.
Spot on with the analysis Royal. :-D

Except for the crosses bit. :(
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

I would like to offer a valid view. As a few people know i have worked with Cardiff, Yeovil, newport and truro in the recent years in a coaching role. Working with truro for a little while was very intresting, i for one was very shocked how Martin has come on as a keeper. He is nothing like he used to be, he has improved greatly on coming for crosses, communication with the team and his shot stopping has also got better.

Yes ok he wouldnt be a number one league 2 keeper, but the guy would make a good back up keeper. If called apon for a few games i would be happy enough to see him there. If Olejnik was out for a few months then a new keeper would be able to come in on loan, but rice would be cheaper than what potter was on.

Id be happy to see him as back up.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Agree brett, he's miles better than Potter.

Experience and confidence. Can't buy it.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Trojan 67 wrote:
Cheap ? I'm not sure whether he said £300 a week at Truro :nod: or £300 a game :O

Give up his day job and his 'keeper duties for Truro, and I can't see a wage of less than £600+ a week. That's cheap ?

Anyway, I'm no teeboo and if there was truth in the rumour, teeboo would have been on here with it first. :nod:
Could well be wrong, but i'd imagine him to have lower demands than most we might be considering.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

royalgull wrote:Agree brett, he's miles better than Potter.

Experience and confidence. Can't buy it.

To be fair, my previous post was tongue in cheek. I have no doubts whatsoever that his confidence will be sky-high after the season he's just had and I know as well as anyone how much that improves your game. I'd be happy to see him given another go and I'd love nothing more than for him to ram my previous criticisms of him down my throat.

The only less than positive thought I have is that maybe a season as a backup to Olly isn't what his career needs right now. Another successful season as a number 1 at Truro might be more beneficial than a stint as number 2 here and the risk of being thrown in at the deep end could harm his career if it didn't go well.

So, come on back and keep your head up and go for it when the opportunity arises Martin Rice, and stop trying to add me on FB :clap:
Dave

tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Southampton Gull wrote:
To be fair, my previous post was tongue in cheek. I have no doubts whatsoever that his confidence will be sky-high after the season he's just had and I know as well as anyone how much that improves your game. I'd be happy to see him given another go and I'd love nothing more than for him to ram my previous criticisms of him down my throat.

The only less than positive thought I have is that maybe a season as a backup to Olly isn't what his career needs right now. Another successful season as a number 1 at Truro might be more beneficial than a stint as number 2 here and the risk of being thrown in at the deep end could harm his career if it didn't go well.

So, come on back and keep your head up and go for it when the opportunity arises Martin Rice, and stop trying to add me on FB :clap:
I agree with this. With all fairness to Ricey, I am sure he is a more wiser keeper and the season he's just had will fill him with confidence. But let's not forget this was in the Southern Premier League. Hardly League 2 or BSP level. I'd rather we look elsewhere for a back up keeper this season.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Anyone remember James Bittner ?

Back then they were known as an "understudy". These days they are called anything from a "number two" to a "bench warmer".

James Bittner has proved himself to be a very capable 'keeper. Now is the the time for Martin Rice, in his mid twenties, to step up his game, whoever that maybe for.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

northyorkshiregull wrote:I just text my mate that told me and he says the bloke that told him works for a firm from gloster and isnt a scum fan.I hope it is the same wind up going around the same site!are you working on the hotel Barca up there?
hey man Nothing to do with me. Honest! :lol:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
TUFC92
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by TUFC92 »

I see Martin Horsell is on trial with Yeovil....
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

tktufc91 wrote: I agree with this. With all fairness to Ricey, I am sure he is a more wiser keeper and the season he's just had will fill him with confidence. But let's not forget this was in the Southern Premier League. Hardly League 2 or BSP level. I'd rather we look elsewhere for a back up keeper this season.
Im not being funny, but there are not really many keepers out there who are good enough league 2 or BSP who would be happy to sit on the bench. We cant afford to have 2 real decent keepers and let one sit on the bench. Look at Potter, he has taken a wage drop to get first team football at Newport and he is a very good BSP keeper and a very good back up.

The only keepers that would come to be our number 2 would be young ones that got let go by bigger clubs, or a old keeper who could be past there best looking for a job to pay the bills. I really think Ricey would fit the bill perfectly.

He knows the club well, has a passion for the club when he came back to help us out last season. Good enough to cover for us if need be.
You have to think aswell, he would have a game every wednesday evening in the reserve league which will give him football and it wont be much diffrent to the BS South.
Sign him up, save some wages and they can go to a better striker.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Yeah, can't really complain.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14