PSF: Torquay United vs Bristol City

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Kinky John Fowler wrote: :lol: We have that effect on a few Gasheads for some reason. We wont be any trouble tomorrow, best behaviour =D .

Geoff's late father was a City fan who, back in the day, ran a pub in the centre of Torquay called the Bristolian. Before that it was a proper cider house called the Maderia. :clap: :bow: :clap:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Kinky John Fowler
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Kinky John Fowler »

Southampton Gull wrote:
When we last played you in a League game at your place, I was leaving the ground with my young son and he started singing "Torquay till I die" right in front of a load of City fans. There was a group of about a dozen skinheads who dwarfed me (and I'm not small) and within a few seconds they crossed the road towards us. I was getting ready for a serious fight and out of the blue, one of them pats my son on the head and said "Fair play kid, don't ever stop singing for your team", cue relief but respect for a group of lads who showed some class. I've been to a lot of so-called less intimidating grounds with my kids and had to fear for their safety. I've always had a soft spot for City, from way back when Chris Garland was playing for you.
I had a horrible sinking feeling in my stomach reading the first two sentances of your post SG, nice twist in the tail though mate :-D

Of course we do have morons but usually they only bother other likeminded morons. I think most football fans have got respect for other fans who follow their local clubs rather than the big Premiership clubs. Ive got far more respect for Rovers fans than I have for armchair Man Utd fans. Glad you had a good trip to South Bristol (as it happens I was in Torquay that weekend for a stag do if it was the 2004/05 first game of the season).

As for Chris Garland, I never saw him play but like all City fans I know that he was one of the 'Ashton Gate 8' who helped save the club from bankruptcy in 1982. He's a club legend.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Chris Garland was a City legend.

Some of us o'farts remember a real City legend : John Atyeo :bow:
Kinky John Fowler
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

dannyrvtufc4life wrote:I'll be there, looking forward to it. Us and Bristol City have something in common now, we both hate Rovers! :-D :lol:
Amen to that :lol:
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Trojan 67 wrote:Chris Garland was a City legend.

Some of us o'farts remember a real City legend : John Atyeo :bow:
Yes retired from the game when he was still a hero and would not drop down the divisions or go to non-league. Became a schoolteacher after leaving football.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

stefano wrote:Yes retired from the game when he was still a hero and would not drop down the divisions or go to non-league. Became a schoolteacher after leaving football.

Spot on as usual stefano, :-D and no ordinary teacher, a teacher of mathematics. :bow:
Kinky John Fowler
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Im impressed some of you know of John Atyeo :bow:

Definately a 'legend' for us. Out of genuine interest and a desire to be educated who would Torquay fans consider to be their biggest 'legend'?
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

Paul buckle of course!!!!!!!! Who else!!!
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

Kinky John Fowler wrote:Im impressed some of you know of John Atyeo :bow:

Definately a 'legend' for us. Out of genuine interest and a desire to be educated who would Torquay fans consider to be their biggest 'legend'?
1. Don Mills 2. Sammy Collins 3. Robin Stubbs :keepie:

Views will vary considerably on this subject of course as that is the nature of football and we have had loads of great players over the years including many internationals. But the above considered carefully for at least 30 seconds will do me! ;-)
Kinky John Fowler
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

friendlygas wrote:Paul buckle of course!!!!!!!! Who else!!!
Are you by any chance a betting man friendlygas?

If you are theres a little wager Id like to put on with you my friend. (#)
Kinky John Fowler
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

stefano wrote: 1. Don Mills 2. Sammy Collins 3. Robin Stubbs :keepie:

Views will vary considerably on this subject of course as that is the nature of football and we have had loads of great players over the years including many internationals. But the above considered carefully for at least 30 seconds will do me! ;-)
I must admit Im not familiar with 1 and 2 however my mother in laws, latest husbands father (follow that?) lives in Brixham and supports both Torquay and the Gas. He's mentioned Robin Stubbs to me in the past.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I'm part way through writing a reply to John Fowler when WHOOSH ! the box empties and the post disappears. :@ What the f'ck's happening ? Is someone playing silly buggers at TF.com because it's happening on a regular basis. :@

Sadly, both Don Mills and Sammy Collins are before my time. Robin Stubbs and Tommy Spratt however, are fond memories. In their time they were the * "Smash & Grab" of TUFC. :bow:

* "Smash & Grab" (Alan Warboys and Bruce Bannister, Bristol Rovers). :bow:
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Trojan 67 wrote:I'm part way through writing a reply to John Fowler when WHOOSH ! the box empties and the post disappears. :@ What the f'ck's happening ? Is someone playing silly buggers at TF.com because it's happening on a regular basis. :@

Sadly, both Don Mills and Sammy Collins are before my time. Robin Stubbs and Tommy Spratt however, are fond memories. In their time they were the * "Smash & Grab" of TUFC. :bow:

Writing my lengthy post on Ricey yesterday i had the same thing which ended up with the cat going about 40 yards. He's certainly feline worse for wear.

Bristol City I'm looking forward to seeing

Peter Beadle
Leroy Rosenior
Tony Thorpe
Steve Phillips
Mickey Bell
Ade Akinbiyi
The Wurzels
Steve Coppell quitting after 1 game
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

royalgull wrote:

:lol:
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

Trojan 67 wrote:I'm part way through writing a reply to John Fowler when WHOOSH ! the box empties and the post disappears. :@ What the f'ck's happening ? Is someone playing silly buggers at TF.com because it's happening on a regular basis. :@

You think you're having a hard time of it Trojan I have had 3 attempts disappear into the ether so if this one doesn't get through I'm off to bed!

Don Mills and Sammy Collins I never saw either but I think when discussing legends in a football club it is not right to restrict it just to players you have seen. Don Mills was of course voted our best ever player in a supporters poll probably about 6 or 7 years ago. A former Leeds United player he captained us in that 4-0 FA Cup demolition of Leeds in 1955 when the legend John Charles of Juventus fame was the Leeds captain. Don stopped playing in 1962 but then became a member of the coaching staff and he was my youth team coach in the late 1960's. He retired from football when we ditched our reserve and youth teams for financial reasons and in 1974 became Torquay's friendliest traffic warden!

Sammy Collins scored 27, 40, and 30 league goals in successive seasons so would always have to be considered, and Robin Stubbs was the best player I have seen in a Torquay shirt, including future international Lee Sharpe and former internationals Chris Waddle, Bruce Rioch, and Neville Southall (albeit I am not too sure what Robin was like in goal! ;-) ).

I keep going waiting for the next one to come along, but everybody we sign Brucie reckons is sh*t! ;-)