Torquay vs Crawley

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

I tend to agree with you Trojan as regards us and Crawley. i actually think we have a much better squad than them but can see it being a fired up game similar to our game against yourselves but not too concerned at the moment as more concerned about Macclesfield tomorrow. Very mucha banana skin to overcome!!! Think this league is very much a take each game as it comes affair. I fear if you lose tomorrow that Crawley could really pull clear at the top in the coming weekd but I think you have the ability to beat them. Good luck.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

friendlygas wrote:I tend to agree with you Trojan as regards us and Crawley. i actually think we have a much better squad than them but can see it being a fired up game similar to our game against yourselves but not too concerned at the moment as more concerned about Macclesfield tomorrow. Very mucha banana skin to overcome!!! Think this league is very much a take each game as it comes affair. I fear if you lose tomorrow that Crawley could really pull clear at the top in the coming weekd but I think you have the ability to beat them. Good luck.

Spot on. :clap: One game at a time.

Soon enough there will be 15 games done and we'll see where we are. :nod:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

Have managed to coincide a visit to see family in the bay with this game, so will be at Plainmoor tommorow!

Cannot wait for this one. Will be a tough game no doubt, but I'm confidently predicting a 2-1 victory to the Torquay boys, with Howe (36th minute) and Morris (78th minute) scoring for us.

Am doing some vocal warm ups as we speak to prepare my voice for the endless refrains of 'one man and his forklift truck, couldn't lift Steve Evans!'... :scarf:
coyy
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by coyy »

i agree with this

btw is everyone gonna be at the middle of the ground or nearest to the crawley fans? (in the popside stand)
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Genuinely disappointed I can't make this one. :(
bc-gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Pearce

Post by bc-gull »

Really tight game this one, if we can get control of the game we can win it, but Crawley have a very strong attack, if we can score on the counter it could make the difference, this really is a game where macklin should play, he can get in behind their defence and cause problems, whilst we all know Crawley are a physical side so really, what is stevens gonna do? Not that he does anything usually.
backofthenet
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: howe

Post by backofthenet »

Good Evening.

Looking forward to the game tomorrow; leaving about 0800.

Our team is likely to be Shearer, Hunt, McFadzean, Wassmer/Dempster, Howell. Simpson, Davies, Torres, Akpan. Tubbs, Barnett.

Yes, Howell and Shearer can be prone to howlers, but we only let in 11 goals in the league away from home last season so it won't be easy for you.

I know you're not huge fans of our management duo (it nevers raynors but it pours); not all of us are fond of all their antics either. Anyway, with the weather forecast, might be no need to water the pitch. :devil:

Will I think be a tight game with either a draw or 2-1 to us. We're unbeaten in 33 now; got to end sometime but hopefully not tomorrow. (I think we'll have 160-170 there - only about 15% of our last meeting; and probably none in your end)

I hope the Ref is consistent. Our first 2 games were marred by inconsistency (affecting not just us) but we had a premier league ref against Southend plus one of the World Cup Linos and their skill/experience showed.

Best of luck for the season except tomorrow and when you come to us.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

backofthenet wrote:Good Evening.

Looking forward to the game tomorrow; leaving about 0800.

Our team is likely to be Shearer, Hunt, McFadzean, Wassmer/Dempster, Howell. Simpson, Davies, Torres, Akpan. Tubbs, Barnett.

Yes, Howell and Shearer can be prone to howlers, but we only let in 11 goals in the league away from home last season so it won't be easy for you.

I know you're not huge fans of our management duo (it nevers raynors but it pours); not all of us are fond of all their antics either. Anyway, with the weather forecast, might be no need to water the pitch. :devil:

Will I think be a tight game with either a draw or 2-1 to us. We're unbeaten in 33 now; got to end sometime but hopefully not tomorrow. (I think we'll have 160-170 there - only about 15% of our last meeting; and probably none in your end)

I hope the Ref is consistent. Our first 2 games were marred by inconsistency (affecting not just us) but we had a premier league ref against Southend plus one of the World Cup Linos and their skill/experience showed.

Best of luck for the season except tomorrow and when you come to us.
The main reason you dont concede many is because your players spend most of the game on the floor time wasting.

Anyway looking forward to tommorow cant say I'm expecting much but we need to play alot better than Tuesday if we want to get a positive result.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

I think that if the team play as well as we know they can then they can get a result against anyone, including Crawley. I think as others have said that Ling is not so likely to react to Evan's nonsense as our former boss and they'll be no hot-headed Zebs to get sent off. But Robertson will have to be more careful and Mansell too, who's been known to put in the odd rash tackle. Evan's will do his best to get our players carded and those are the two I feel most likely to recieve them.
Having said that I don't think Ling will allow the shenanigans to get in the way of our game. I'll be happy with a draw but I want the win as much as I did last Saturday.

*Oh, I forgot but this is my third 1000th post! A whoo hoo! :scarf: :clap: :) *
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

cool heads 2day,and we will beat wobble belly and cronies,more excited bout this than last sat,lingy will have the troops fired up for this,not that they need any 2day,we all know they will try every trick in the book to try and unsettle us,so keep our cool and heads,and like last sat wipe that smile off lard arses face,enjoy the win 2day.....oh by the way hope groundsman dosent allow mr wobble on2 the pitch ,there will be king size craters all over it :na: :na:
Father Jack
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Johhny Rudge

Post by Father Jack »

Ive got a horrible feeling this will be the first pointless day of the league season for us. As someone already pointed out, there might be a bit of weakness in their back line but their midfield/attack looks a damn strong unit. Probably with Tubbs as a front man and rapid support from a 5 man midfield, they will make the most of their chances. Their midfield was the key last season to our loss and it certainly doesnt look any weaker this time round. I dont think we have the pace/power to break down their midfield so our best chance may be Howe and Atieno into the channels.

Heart say one-nil (Howe) to us. Head says one-nil (Tubbs) to them
Arse! Drink!
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

Father Jack wrote:Ive got a horrible feeling this will be the first pointless day of the league season for us. As someone already pointed out, there might be a bit of weakness in their back line but their midfield/attack looks a damn strong unit. Probably with Tubbs as a front man and rapid support from a 5 man midfield, they will make the most of their chances. Their midfield was the key last season to our loss and it certainly doesnt look any weaker this time round. I dont think we have the pace/power to break down their midfield so our best chance may be Howe and Atieno into the channels.

Heart say one-nil (Howe) to us. Head says one-nil (Tubbs) to them
understand what your saying father jack,but i think it will be tubby that will need divine intervention off you today,by the time we4 have finished with him :lol: :lol: :lol:
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

really tough one to call, in the odd position of being massive second favourites at home, 13/5 typically, so the big money is all on crawley

i'd like to think we're good enough if we play as we all know we can do, but i'm beginning to fear the usual wind up, mansell will almost certainly bite, hopefully howe will take it all in his stride.

a definite day for danny to be dropped and come on as they tire

gonna still back a narrow gulls win, just because the price is so bloody good, but would def take a point if offered it before 3pm?! 2-1 howe, robbo
still keeping the faith
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

I feel we will do better against them this time around. We all knew last season they were walking the BSP and spent a lot of money, but we didnt know how they would compare to league sides. In the cup i felt it was a shock that they were a very decent side.

This season we all know about them a lot more and i feel we can do much better this time around. Tubbs is a decent striker but its no different to coming up against other scoring strikers in league 2. This will be an important game for Saah to try use some of his pace and keep tubbs out.

This will be a very end to end game and we need to take our chances. If we dont take our chances we will simpley come away with nothing.
There very beatable and theres no reason why we cant.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Just got to the ground and it's pi**ing down. I wonder if Fat Pat Evans will try and blame us for wateing the pitch too much :)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com