Tackling

General chat about anything else goes here.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Wrong as usual Matt. They are linked because they are both dangerous tackles. Whether the results are the same is immaterial. I'm not saying I agree with the rules but if they are applied correctly which in both cases used by you they were then both result in a red card.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I did not see the game however just watched this you tube video, and i have to be honest, while i think there is a lack of consistancy and some ref's may not have shown a red card here, in this case the ref has called this totaly right, Kompany in my view gets lucky here, Nani saw it coming and got out of the way.

Fair play and great respect to Nani aswell who does not react just gets on with the game, Rooney on the other hand totaly unprofessional and it is about time ref's started dealing with players and managers who ask for red cards to be shown.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Formerly known as forevertufc
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Red card all day long for me. He would of made serious contact had Nani not jumped out the way of a inbound scissor tackle.
kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: sloped off

Post by kingsgull »

forevertufc wrote:I did not see the game however just watched this you tube video, and i have to be honest, while i think there is a lack of consistancy and some ref's may not have shown a red card here, in this case the ref has called this totaly right, Kompany in my view gets lucky here, Nani saw it coming and got out of the way.

Fair play and great respect to Nani aswell who does not react just gets on with the game, Rooney on the other hand totaly unprofessional and it is about time ref's started dealing with players and managers who ask for red cards to be shown.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dave..i think Rooney wants to vent his frustration still burdening him from the Euros 2008 when the winker Ronaldo and his Portugese colleagues got him sent off..... :keepie:
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Come off it Dave, 'whether the results are the same is immaterial' of course it's material. If you punch a geezer and break his nose, it's GBH (5 years inside on indictment). If he falls down, hits his head and dies, its manslaughter (life imprisonment).
There is a lack of intent with Kompany, and the fact that both his feel leave the ground should be secondary to the fact that no harm was caused, he won the ball, he never went to hurt Nani and that his second foot was nowhere near the action.
Yes, he COULD have broken both of Nani's legs, but he didn't, and it is wrong to sentence him on that basis.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
sonofwod
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by sonofwod »

There is nothing in the Laws of the Game that says a foul from behind is a yellow card.[/quote]

No, but there is to say its a red;

"Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play".

As you will know, serious foul play = red card.

If people are going to bang on about "the letter of the law", then Giggs should have been sent off too. Did he lunge at Aguero "from behind"? Yes. Did he use "one or both legs"? Yes. Did he use "excessive force and endanger the safety of an opponent"? - well, that's where it is open to interpretation and where referees should use some common sense. If i lunged at you like Giggs did in the street, i think you'd agree it was excessive and endangered your safety. Why should that be any different on grass in a football match. If we're applying "the rules", then it's a nonsense to suggest that Kompany's tackle is worse than Giggs' in that context. Giggs' is arguably more dangerous as he made contact at legged Aguero up, who could've landed awkwardly and popped a shoulder or broken something.

I agree that by the letter of the law, Kompany goes, but then so does Giggs. Where's the holy grail that is consistency? People will argue the ref used common sense in not sending Giggs off and i would agree. But if he's entitled to use that common sense in that situation, then why not with Kompany? I don't support either Manchester team, but as a football fan, i was really looking forward to that game and in my opinion, Foy's selective application of common sense has ruined the game as a fair contest.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Matt, we are talking the laws of football here, not the laws of the land. You seem to have difficulty accepting there's a difference between the two. The tackle was reckless WHETHER he made contact or not and it's because of that fact that it warranted a red. Quite why you need to talk about manslaughter as if it has any connection to what we're discussing is beyond me, totally irrelevant.
Dave

leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

I still don't see it as a reckless challenge or a red card. Yes he leaves the ground but by the time he makes the challenge, his second leg is nowhere near the player, his challenging foot is at ground height and not leg breaking height and he actually wins the ball with the side of his foot if you watch the replays closely. All of which to me say not a reckless challenge. Unfortunately he gives Foy a choice to make by leaving the ground in the first place.

Kompany is one of the best defenders in the game at present, and his job is to tackle and win the ball. In this instance he goes in for a challenge to win the ball and does so. He takes the ball fully. It was not by luck that he didn't catch nani, it is because he is a world class defender with the ability to put in inch perfect tackles, which he did yesterday. The other main reason I don't see it as red card is Nani'sown reaction to it. Nani is known in the past for his theatrical reactions to challeneges, and yesterday, if he felt like a bad challenge had been put on him, i doubt he would have carried on playing and chasing the ball the way he did. His reaction says to me he thought there was little danger and it was a perfectly good challenge.

As for the talk of Rooney getting the lad sent off, I think its nonsense. Despite my opinion that Foy had a poor game yesterday, he is a prem ref and normally one of our best, despite a few talking point decisions recently. I doubt he would be easily swayed by a player. However, I think rooney deserved a yellow for his reaction, as I think any player who asks for a player to be sent off or cautioned should be reprimanded themselves. Its not sporting, doesn't give a good image to the game, and is something the FA and FIFA should crack down on.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

leetufc wrote:I still don't see it as a reckless challenge or a red card. Yes he leaves the ground but by the time he makes the challenge, his second leg is nowhere near the player, his challenging foot is at ground height and not leg breaking height and he actually wins the ball with the side of his foot if you watch the replays closely. All of which to me say not a reckless challenge. Unfortunately he gives Foy a choice to make by leaving the ground in the first place.

Kompany is one of the best defenders in the game at present, and his job is to tackle and win the ball. In this instance he goes in for a challenge to win the ball and does so. He takes the ball fully. It was not by luck that he didn't catch nani, it is because he is a world class defender with the ability to put in inch perfect tackles, which he did yesterday. The other main reason I don't see it as red card is Nani'sown reaction to it. Nani is known in the past for his theatrical reactions to challeneges, and yesterday, if he felt like a bad challenge had been put on him, i doubt he would have carried on playing and chasing the ball the way he did. His reaction says to me he thought there was little danger and it was a perfectly good challenge.

As for the talk of Rooney getting the lad sent off, I think its nonsense. Despite my opinion that Foy had a poor game yesterday, he is a prem ref and normally one of our best, despite a few talking point decisions recently. I doubt he would be easily swayed by a player. However, I think rooney deserved a yellow for his reaction, as I think any player who asks for a player to be sent off or cautioned should be reprimanded themselves. Its not sporting, doesn't give a good image to the game, and is something the FA and FIFA should crack down on.

It wasn't an inch perfect tackle at all, he got sent off, deservedly so.
Dave

ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

It's an analogy, as well you know, and it fits well. We're talking about cause and effect, cross application of theory between the laws of football and criminal law is a perfectly reasonable move to make and one which illustrates my point excellently.

You know this, you're being obtuse and I'm falling for it.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

To try and apply laws of the land to a sport is quite plainly ridiculous. Sport crosses international boundaries and in doing so is played in countries with totally different and opposing laws. Sport is played to its own rules and conditions. om this case the offending tackler, Kompany, was quite rightly shown a red card, all your contadictory and irrelevant arguments are still just that, irrelevant.

I don't see ANY referee saying Foy got it wrong, just players and armchair pundits who really don't know any better. If Kompany had tried that challenge on Rooney, he (Rooney) would have jumped over it and made sure he landed studs first in Kompany's face, Kompany knew there was little chance of Nani doing so hence his tackle was not only reckless, it was cowardly too.
Dave

EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

Wouldn't have even been a foul when I played, got ball cleanly with no intention of injuring his opponent. It is a strange thing to do though-go in two footed as it isn't the natural way to make a challenge. As for the studs showing, it isn't physically possible to do a sliding tackle without studs up if its face on.
Just shows what a bunch of soft shi1tes modern players are though. :K

If you really want to outlaw something that is dangerous , the bicycle kick is lost teeth or a broken nose waiting to happen for any defender who goes to head out a cross. I know from experience. =D =Z Or is that ok because a striker is doing it not one of those nasty horrible defenders who are only there to spoil the game? :rules:
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

When you last played though it was village against village
Attachments
Mobfooty.jpg
Mobfooty.jpg (60.92 KiB) Viewed 590 times
Dave

EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

Brilliant! I'm in that picture!

PS Why cant I copy that post?

(Bollox Dave! :) )
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

leetufc wrote:I still don't see it as a reckless challenge or a red card. Yes he leaves the ground but by the time he makes the challenge, his second leg is nowhere near the player, his challenging foot is at ground height and not leg breaking height and he actually wins the ball with the side of his foot if you watch the replays closely. All of which to me say not a reckless challenge. Unfortunately he gives Foy a choice to make by leaving the ground in the first place.

Kompany is one of the best defenders in the game at present, and his job is to tackle and win the ball. In this instance he goes in for a challenge to win the ball and does so. He takes the ball fully. It was not by luck that he didn't catch nani, it is because he is a world class defender with the ability to put in inch perfect tackles, which he did yesterday. The other main reason I don't see it as red card is Nani's own reaction to it. Nani is known in the past for his theatrical reactions to challeneges, and yesterday, if he felt like a bad challenge had been put on him, i doubt he would have carried on playing and chasing the ball the way he did. His reaction says to me he thought there was little danger and it was a perfectly good challenge.
There does not have to be malice or intent for an offence to be committed. There does not have to be any kind of injury to the opponent. There need only be a risk or possibility of injury for an offence to be committed. Going into a tackle in such a way as this one is reckless and negligent in the extreme. Such tackles can never be 'inch perfect'; by their very nature they endanger the safety of an opponent. Under the laws of the game, it is a red card offence.
Nani's reaction, or lack off, suggests that he did not see the way in which Kompany went in with his tackle, but, even so, this is irrelevant.