Torquay United v Aldershot - 6/3/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I think it was a little different with Howe/Atieno Jeff as both are permanent members of the squad whereas MacDonald is just a 'drifter' and could go back to Reading at any time. In which case Saah would have to come in anyway. I think it makes sense the other way round personally but i see where you're coming from Jeff about if a player plays well then they should stay in the first 11.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Wubble U
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The Sills
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Wubble U »

I'm surpised everyone is so keen to have Angus start against Aldershot.
IMO he showed plenty of potential on saturday but also plenty of inexperience.
He got up and won most of his headers, and made his physical presence count, but he made some absolute howlers (most notably the first 10 seconds) and wondered around the pitch with his head down for most of the game.
I don't believe we can rely on him for anything more than cover. ok we scraped through against crawley without his flaws affecting the result, but we need reliability and experience now it is available (cue the Brain Saah jokes... :whistle: )
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Can't comment on the performance of Angus as i wasn't there but surely it makes sense to put Saah back in to get the continuity going again? After all, he is a Torquay player and it will knock his confidence if Angus is selected ahead of him. Saah has come in and done really well since Robbo left and it would be unfair to him not to pick him tonight ahead of a loanee.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

It's a tough one (MacDonald v Saah) but I think Saah may just get the nod. I think it's quite telling in Martin Ling's comments on the OS in that he points out that yes MacDonald had an excellent game on Saturday but he (Ling) also makes a point of reminding everyone that Saah had THREE excellent games prior to that. Close call, but I reckon Saah may just get the nod with MacDonald relegated to the bench.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I pretty much think that way aswell, there is a difference between the Howe/Atieno and MacDonald/Saah, Atieno came in and played 4 very good games making very hard to be dropped, Angus according to all reports played very well in 1 game, and 1 swallow does not allways make a summer, had Angus played 3 games or more and performed well he probaly would have kept his place,he might still.

As said Saah was fantastic in the previous 3 games and has more experience, and it's for that reason that I think Saah will be in the team tonight.
Formerly known as forevertufc
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

It is a no brainer. Must be Brian Saah. Angus on loan as cover but when 3 vital points are at stake tonight experience counts. Martin Ling will play Saah. Wish I could be at Plainmoor tonight.
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Saah to start - no doubting Ling on that.
We will do well to raise our game again after the exertion at Crawley
Will be delighted if we come away with 3 points tonight - Aldershot are flying (but they will have to lose soon...)
0-0 for me tonight
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Although we did pull out the stops on Saturday I feel we have to go all out for the win to start another run. It's vitaly important that we put together another set of results to keep up with the leaders. That is after all the mark of a team that wants and gains automatic promotion. If we can't then we are not good enough and we have to think about the playoffs. Then it's the lottery of who is stronger on the day or night.
I personaly think we can do it, and knowing lee like I do he will be really fired up ready to have a real go at them. If he can motivate the rest of the team all the way through then we should be in for an intresting run to the end of the season.
We need to look at ourslelves to see what we are made of at times like this. Our team has a belief in itsef that has rarely been there in previous seasons, Yes we have been promoted before but not at this level..
Yes we were promoted in 2004 going up automaticaly but we came straight down again and I don't think we achieved the kind of results we have had this season.
If anything, our 2004 season was remarkable as we didn't expect it. I would say it was luck as it's too long a season to make it purely a fluke but, it was a run I didn't think it would be sustainable for too long and I feared we would sttuggle badly which we did.
This time round I have far more belief in the team that we have the level of skill to keep us up. That is the stick we have to measure ourselves by. if we don't measure up we have to settle for something less.
No matter what we end up with, this season has been remarkable and one that will be remembered for more than Buckle doing the dirty on us.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Saah makes it:

01Robert Olejnik
18Joe Oastler
06Brian Saah
04Mark Ellis
03Kevin Nicholson
22Damon Lathrope
07Lee Mansell
10Eunan O'Kane
08Ryan Jarvis
11Ian Morris
09Rene Howe
--------------------------
21Angus MacDonald
02Lathanial Rowe-Turner
13Martin Rice
23Taiwo Atieno
16Chris McPhee

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Do you know who the ref is Scott?
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Referee: David Coote
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

David Coote

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Thanks both of you.
Gazzableedsgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Gazzableedsgull »

Not too sure about Saah coming in tonight, i would of kept McDonald in to see if he can handle it again and then judging on his performance tonight i think we would of been better prepared for Bristol Rovers on Saturday. Never mind! I'm sure ML knows what he's doing! Going for a 3-2 United win with Jarvis on the Score sheet. COYY!
Dreaming Of Promotion ..
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

damn it. late off work and still on the bloody bus, should be home just after 8?
let's hope Jarvis makes the most of his opportunity tonight
still keeping the faith