Radio Commentaries

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Dave, I don't think it matters who the target was.

We can have legitimate complaint against anybody's words, deeds or attitudes, we can point out their errors and inadequacies or where their behaviour falls short of the expected standards. We can mock and deride with sardonic wit and express our scorn and contempt with humour and even compassion.

But surely it's not right to resort to any form of personal abuse? Such reaction only displays our own immaturity and lack of understanding that we are all only human, that all of us could at any time succumb to the same weaknesses, shortcomings and temptations to a greater or lesser degree. This is what made me so uneasy about, for example, all the bitter acrimony and spiteful vitriol directed at Paul Buckle last year.

Is it really not possible to comment, criticise and judge without displaying the first signs of a lynch mob mentality and even outright savagery? Can we not express our opinions and feelings in a more civilised way?
traveller gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: olejnic

Post by traveller gull »

i just think sometimes people should take a step back and think a little bit dave i agree that this thread is mainly aimed at alan richardson who by the way is a torquay united fan and not myself but there is a comment saying that apart from 3 all the others are dross people are entitled to that but its not nice to read when ime doing my best. Or being called a tosser by brucie and saying that all i did was lick vic morgans ringpiece during the co commentry from swindon by saying that swindon where far better than us my missis and daughter read that dave not nice. fact was swindon on the night where far better as where barnet the other night what do people want me to do lie and say we are battering barnet when we wernt i call it as i c it or if they dont like it either turn the radio off or better still get to the game so you can all judge for yourself if ime talking rubbish or not. critisism thats fair enough but i aint being called a tosser by the likes of brucie just cos he didnt like what he hears. better still brucie why dont u have a go at co commentary see how easy you find it belive me when i say this its not the easist thing to do. and also be careful people slagging radio devon and its staff would not be nice if they pulled the plug and didnt bother covering the games would it...
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

traveller gull wrote:Or being called a tosser by brucie
I wouldn't take his comments personally, I know we should refrain from personal attacks and insults (apologies in advance dave), but brucie is the biggest tosser on this forum by some distance.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Urge to say something contentious almost overwhelming. Must remove self from thread!

Ok, I'll ask a nice, normal question. If, Traveller, you're just a fan, no training, no nothin', how did you get the radio gig in the first place?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

traveller gull wrote:i just think sometimes people should take a step back and think a little bit dave i agree that this thread is mainly aimed at alan richardson who by the way is a torquay united fan and not myself but there is a comment saying that apart from 3 all the others are dross people are entitled to that but its not nice to read when ime doing my best. Or being called a tosser by brucie and saying that all i did was lick vic morgans ringpiece during the co commentry from swindon by saying that swindon where far better than us my missis and daughter read that dave not nice. fact was swindon on the night where far better as where barnet the other night what do people want me to do lie and say we are battering barnet when we wernt i call it as i c it or if they dont like it either turn the radio off or better still get to the game so you can all judge for yourself if ime talking rubbish or not. critisism thats fair enough but i aint being called a tosser by the likes of brucie just cos he didnt like what he hears. better still brucie why dont u have a go at co commentary see how easy you find it belive me when i say this its not the easist thing to do. and also be careful people slagging radio devon and its staff would not be nice if they pulled the plug and didnt bother covering the games would it...
I wouldn't come on forums to try and guage how a report was recieved mate. There is never going to be a case where someone in the media is widely loved by all. Even Lineker in one of the best media jobs in the country is widely criticised online, just know that it tends to be a noisy minority. It's the way of the world that no one is going to come onto a forum to praise someone's work in the media. I've dabbled in the odd media job and while I think some critiscism should be listened to and considered, always take it with a pinch of salt and remember why you've been given the job, as you're probably quite good and respected in it.

Don't let an online forum stop you doing it.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Gullscorer wrote:Dave, I don't think it matters who the target was.

We can have legitimate complaint against anybody's words, deeds or attitudes, we can point out their errors and inadequacies or where their behaviour falls short of the expected standards. We can mock and deride with sardonic wit and express our scorn and contempt with humour and even compassion.

But surely it's not right to resort to any form of personal abuse? Such reaction only displays our own immaturity and lack of understanding that we are all only human, that all of us could at any time succumb to the same weaknesses, shortcomings and temptations to a greater or lesser degree. This is what made me so uneasy about, for example, all the bitter acrimony and spiteful vitriol directed at Paul Buckle last year.

Is it really not possible to comment, criticise and judge without displaying the first signs of a lynch mob mentality and even outright savagery? Can we not express our opinions and feelings in a more civilised way?

My post was directed to Steve and I don't see that I was excusing anyone. People will state their opinions in any way they can, on a football forum it's less likely to be polite, if you want your idea of utopia you won't find it here.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

traveller gull wrote:i just think sometimes people should take a step back and think a little bit dave i agree that this thread is mainly aimed at alan richardson who by the way is a torquay united fan and not myself but there is a comment saying that apart from 3 all the others are dross people are entitled to that but its not nice to read when ime doing my best. Or being called a tosser by brucie and saying that all i did was lick vic morgans ringpiece during the co commentry from swindon by saying that swindon where far better than us my missis and daughter read that dave not nice. fact was swindon on the night where far better as where barnet the other night what do people want me to do lie and say we are battering barnet when we wernt i call it as i c it or if they dont like it either turn the radio off or better still get to the game so you can all judge for yourself if ime talking rubbish or not. critisism thats fair enough but i aint being called a tosser by the likes of brucie just cos he didnt like what he hears. better still brucie why dont u have a go at co commentary see how easy you find it belive me when i say this its not the easist thing to do. and also be careful people slagging radio devon and its staff would not be nice if they pulled the plug and didnt bother covering the games would it...

Steve, you can hardly take the moral high ground and include that in your post. Won't your wife and daughter read that too?

Opinions vary, standards of response vary too, I'm not excusing it but that's how it is. You can be blunt when speaking as can I, it's a football forum if those opinions of people like brucie get to you or your family then give it a wide berth.
Dave

Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

The best commo combo for me, for away games on a Saturday, is Julian Gaunt and Dave Thomas. :-D

Midweek away games we sometimes get what we get. When Steve Breed is the co-commentator, I know the match officials competence/ineptitude/performance will always be under close scrutiny. :clap: :bow: :clap:
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
traveller gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: olejnic

Post by traveller gull »

ile take your points on dave and no they wont be reading this forum anymore to annswer a post on this thread how did i get on the radio without any training answer is i dont have a clue i was asked a couple of years ago and have done it many times since as with anything i will never please everybody neither will alan richardson julian gaunt and all the rest if or when ime asked to do it again ile try and change the way in which i co comm ile be boring and simply try to say whats going on on the pitch maby that will appease the masses
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Steve, if I can't make a game you are one of the first names on my wish list for the commentary. I know you'll relay passion and excitement and call it as you see it, that's all I need from a commentary.

The point I'm trying to make here is that if you get upset because of what idiots post on the internet you're better off not reading them.
Dave

stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Agreed, Dave.

No need to get hung up on what people say online. Just keep doing the job you do, and it seems clear you do have a large fan base.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I am not critizing anyone for the job they do commentating on the Torquay games , because I am not sure I could do any better.

I do not like listening to Julian Gaunt because of his voice it's allways giving way, I do like listening to Steve Breed, he allways brings the passion of a real die hard Torquay fan to the commentry, and he should not change his style one bit.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

forevertufc wrote:I do like listening to Steve Breed, he allways brings the passion of a real die hard Torquay fan to the commentry, and he should not change his style one bit.

Completely agree. Even though I do go to most away games, when I am unable to attend a game I always listen to it on the radio (unless I am away and can't access BBC Radio Devon). I always like it when Steve Breed is doing the co commentary, because he is the only one who (as forevertufc has said above) really brings of the passion! Plus you always know when Torquay have scored :lol:
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Latest news from Radio Devon : "The competition for a Torquay United fan to guest as a match co-commentator has been won by a Torquay Fans.com member known by the moniker of "brucie".

:O

Gawd 'elp us. :-/ :rofl:
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

To be fair, I've not had any problems with the colour commentary at any point. It's the main ones who there can be annoyance with. The amount of times I've had no clue what's going on because its been poorly described is very irritating.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"