Nick Powell

General chat about anything else goes here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Forlan could not hit a barn door with a banjo whist at UTD, making him a fergie flop.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

That wasn't Fergie's fault. 2 years before Utd: P65 G33, that's 1 in 2, a bloody good rate. At Althletico Madrid: P197 G96, that's the same rate. He is a good player, he just can't do it in England.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Sorry but anyone who question Fergie knows nothing about football. They guy hasn't done what he has done unless you are the best of the best.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

My Mum could have won the league with the money Man utd have compared to others over the last 15 years, until chelski and City came along.. :nod:
Last edited by Dave on 22 May 2012, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

The funny thing about Man City winning the title this year is Liverpool fans are celebrating like they have won it! Closest they will ever get to the Premiership title I guess!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

forevertufc wrote:My Mum could have won the league with the money Man utd have compared to others over the last 15 years, until chelski and City came along.. :nod:

Best get your mum a job in there then. Man Utd haven't spent big as some seem to think. They produce more home nation players than most in the premier league.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

They have spent big. Very big in fact but to belittle Sir Alex achievements is mental. He's seen of more challengers than Muhammed Ali, some with more resource than he has. General consensus is Man City were good this season and Man Utd were rubbish. i would also say this is the worst Man utd squad since the Premier League began yet they lost the title on GOAL DIFFERENCE.

He has installed a method within that club that will be forever followed. If you get a chance listen to what the Liverpool and Newcastle players thought of the Utd players during the 90's. They were the first ones to turn up suited and booted to matches, would barely speak to anyone outside of Man Utd on England trips, would rarely ever go out and get wasted and just stuff like that. All the other clubs thought they were tw@s and ridiculous until they kept winning and winning They were the first real modern professional team and that mentality and will to win was all installed via Sir Alex. That mentality is what has got them over the line so many times.

You'd never have got Tevez and Balotelli doing what they did if they were at Utd. He wouldn't have stood for it.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Also, Man Utd have spent big at times due to shrewd business and getting fans throughout the world, not through a billionnaire owner coming in and spending his kid's inheritance. The Glaziers aren't exactly poor, but they don't need to dip fingers in their own pockets when the club can afford everything and still make record turnover each year.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Sometimes things are posted in the hope someone will react, sorry guys was bored couldn't help myself, of course I would not belittle S-A-F, however they did bottle it this year no doubt, and bringing Scholes out of retirement says it it all, I do wonder whether age is catching up with S-A-F, and I am being genuine there.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Again, can't agree with the Scholes thing, Dave. He's the best English midfielder in history and probably one of the two or three best the world has ever seen. He is a timid lad and made the decision to quit the game too early. He came back and hadn't lost an ounce of what he had before, like he'd never been away. There was one incident and one alone that cost United the title this season, the injury to Nemanja Vidic. He'd have been worth probably 10 points over the season, United would have won at a canter had he been fit.

Camb is entirely correct about the money situation. There's a world of difference between having money because you're successful for 20 consecutive years, and having money because you are a Russian's penis extension.

Where were City 10 years ago? They were precisely where they will be 10 years from now, **** ing nowhere.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Don't dissargee with you matt on Scholes, the point was at the start of this season he retired at the age of 37 before the end of next he will 38, Man.u could have gone out into the transfer market and replaced him easily, so why didn't they.

As far as money I must admit totaly dissagree, I start following football in 1977, Man.u were by far the best supported team in country then as they were 10 years earlier, and that continued through 1987,97 and so on, so why did it take over 30 years for them to have any dominance , I tell you why, the premier league, which was the very thing they wanted along with some of the countries other big clubs, and they very thing that destroyed English football, it meant money starting pouring into the clubs that already had it, and those who didn't got left behind, man.u could not have gone global with out the E-P-L.

And clubs who won honours through the 70's and 80's such as Aston Villa, Nottingham Forest, Ipswich,Derby, Leeds and yes even Man.c can no longer compete.

English football has not been a level playing field for some time, because of the actions of clubs like Man.u etc, and thats why I have no problem with Chelsea/ man.c, coming into to money, because their was no other way for them to get into a throphy winning position, leeds tried it buy, buying players on mortgages, look what happened to them.

English football at one point was in danger of becoming all about Man.u and whether Arsenal and Liverpool could hang on to their coat tails, thank god for Chelsea and Man City, they helped to keep our game interesting.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Replace Scholes easily? With who? Any top Midfielder has a price tag between 30-50 mil and Fergie won't pay that.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Ah ha, so I seeemd to have flushed out another one, have a wind up about Man.u and their endless army of followers can't help revealing themselves.. :)

Fergie will pay £30 million, accept he won't pay more than that however their is a host of talent across world and european football that would cost half of that, buy it ,work with it, develop it,I think more the case of him not being allowed to spend £30m rather than not wanting to, your telling me about this home grown talent, so what we are saying is, a 38 year old player is better than Jones , Cleverly and Carrick.

Unless you play home grown talent , how does it develop and get better,Scholes and Giggs are 2 of the best players ever to grace a football pitch anywhere ever, but these two will soon qualify for their free bus passes, if you can't or wont move on from these , I would say it does not bode well for UT'D'S future.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

royalgull wrote:They have spent big. Very big in fact but to belittle Sir Alex achievements is mental. He's seen of more challengers than Muhammed Ali, some with more resource than he has. General consensus is Man City were good this season and Man Utd were rubbish. i would also say this is the worst Man utd squad since the Premier League began yet they lost the title on GOAL DIFFERENCE.

He has installed a method within that club that will be forever followed. If you get a chance listen to what the Liverpool and Newcastle players thought of the Utd players during the 90's. They were the first ones to turn up suited and booted to matches, would barely speak to anyone outside of Man Utd on England trips, would rarely ever go out and get wasted and just stuff like that. All the other clubs thought they were tw@s and ridiculous until they kept winning and winning They were the first real modern professional team and that mentality and will to win was all installed via Sir Alex. That mentality is what has got them over the line so many times.

You'd never have got Tevez and Balotelli doing what they did if they were at Utd. He wouldn't have stood for it.
Didn't Rooney do similar though?
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

the problem with spending £30m on a player is that Utd's stated strategy is to only spend the big money on players who could have a resale value. That means players sub-25. spending fortunes on a guy at 28 is not in their gameplan because there's no way they'll be able to recoup that money later on (look at Berbatov).

They're more likely to be looking at spending £10-15m on a youngish midfielder who's already proven. this automatically rules out anybody English because they're so overvalued. Ferguson do a lot worse than look at somebody like Michael Bradley - he's been at Chievo this year, won their player of the year award, and was generally brilliant. They could probably get him for less that £10m, assuming they move quickly; Inter Milan are apparently interested.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.