Bodin back to Torquay!!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I'm not sure I concur Steve, I think Morris acts as you suggest, being a bit poo for long spells, then pulling off a bit of magic (that, in fact, is precisely how I'd describe him). Bodin was exactly what we missed late on, pacy, direct, perfectly happy to run at his man, skilful etc. I'm not one for going overboard when rating players, but I really like Bodin. He is clearly no mug, as has been said, he's played for two promoted sides and one losing playoff team this year, so he's clearly got something about him.
That said, I do absolutely stand by my position that I would not swap him for any of our current stars.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I cannot see how for the life of me how any tribunal would value Bodin @ 50k. yes he has played for two promoted sides but he hardly played regularly and could not get in Crewes side on a regular basis either.
He isn't the finished article either by a long chalk. Its pointless him staying at Swindon as he isn't going to get a game. Could see him signing for the likes of Exeter or Plymouth maybe.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

I agree with most of that brucie. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, and although Bodin was good for us I don't think he was spectacular for the most part. He had some good games some indifferent games but we certainly did miss him on the whole. Extra yard of pace and a naturally attacking player, we don't have many of those and I'd rather have had him out wide instead of Morris for the last 1/3 of the season. Would we have gone up? Possibly but it's impossible to say it definitely would have happened. I think he's got a lot of improvement to do and he's not going to get that on someones bench. If Torquay is an option he must know a) the manager rates him b) he'll play regularly and c) he was well liked by the players. Obviously financially it might not be his best move but professionally I think it would be.

If it's at all possible of course I'd welcome him back, much the same as I would Ashley Hemmings. In his short loan spell here last time I really thought he had something (similar to Carayol in the early days), I think if a League 2 club perservered with him then he could do what Carayol has done and almost re-invent himself as a bloke Kettering didn't want to one of the hottest properties in the division.
nicktufc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Euuuuuuuunan

Post by nicktufc »

Have to say, I agree with Matt on this one.

Whilst Bodin is a very good young player, and I would welcome him back with open arms, would I swap him for Eunan + money, or Bobby, or Ellis???

Not a chance
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

agree with what's been said by some, would love to have him back but not at the expense of the likes of bobby and eunan. i'd like to see how he would get on playing as a second striker, as i think he finishes pretty well and his pace playing off Howe could cause defences a few problems.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

a good source tells me we put in 3 bids for him before he went to crewe with the last bid being £50,000
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

How well Billy Bodin played has got nothing to do with any likely tribunal valuation, a tribunal will look at how many years Swindon have worked on his development, which stand's at 4 , as he was a youth player with them 2008, they will look at his current playing status which include's 41 senior games , and he is a current Wales-u21 international, they will also look at his future developent with Swindon who have offered him anew contract, therefore fully intent to continue working on his development.

No idea what fee a tribunal would set, but to say £50,000 or less , would be so far wide of the mark it's untrue, likely to be £100,000 plus, our club know that , of course our club will try a few cheeky offer's, however Swindon will know it aswell, hence why any bid of around £50k would fail, forget Billy Bodin.
Formerly known as forevertufc
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Well said F'Rev. Swindon have quite rightly put him out of our price range.

They have to because of the amount they spent on players last season.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

forevertufc wrote:How well Billy Bodin played has got nothing to do with any likely tribunal valuation, a tribunal will look at how many years Swindon have worked on his development, which stand's at 4 , as he was a youth player with them 2008, they will look at his current playing status which include's 41 senior games , and he is a current Wales-u21 international, they will also look at his future developent with Swindon who have offered him anew contract, therefore fully intent to continue working on his development.

No idea what fee a tribunal would set, but to say £50,000 or less , would be so far wide of the mark it's untrue, likely to be £100,000 plus, our club know that , of course our club will try a few cheeky offer's, however Swindon will know it aswell, hence why any bid of around £50k would fail, forget Billy Bodin.

I'm not sure. I know it was a while ago and I know you can't value a player by the cost of another, but we got £125,000 for the L2 top scorer, who had been with us longer, was the same age, was going up a division and was not subject to tribunal.
I just don't think Bodin is worth anything like £100,000. That is a vast sum of money in L2. He is a fine player Bodin, no doubt, but I can't believe he is worth such a sum of money, no matter how long he's been there.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

It's not just where he is now in terms of his dvelopment, or what work, how long Swindon have put into his development, it's also what he is likely to turn into as a professional footballer, I just look at Billy Bodin's career stats, and then compare them to Eunan O'Kane's as a 20 year old, and Bodin is streets ahead of where Eunan was 2 years ago at the same stage of his (Eunan) career.

That does not mean a thing as player's grow/develop at different rates,Swindon as said will know roughly what they are likely to get from a tribunal and no doubt will hold out for every penny if Bodin decide's to go, and who can blame them, us TUFC fan's want our club to do the same W-R-T to O'kane and Ellis if he decides to go from us, no football club is a special case.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

I don't think it will be £100,000. I would argue it would be less than this fee set last year for Kyle Bennett:

http://www.football-league.co.uk/champi ... 22_2442436

Similar age, arguably a similar player. However, Bodin isn't a first team regular at his own club, nor is he joining a championship club, which I imagine would factor into the decision, therefore I believe a lessor fee for Bodin. However, I suppose it also depends on who else comes in for him. If lots of clubs bid for him, including those in league one, then his fee would rise as he's deemed to be more of a prospect than if just one league two club bids.

That said, even if the fee is half the one in the link, so £40,000 plus add ons for appearances and a sell on clause, I don't think Bodin's worth it. We would struggle to recoup the money on that sort of a deal even if we sold him on eventually I believe, so I would much rather we put the money towards wages for one or two free transfers. I imagine there's a few out there who can offer as much as Bodin can, it's just a matter of finding them. And Ling has already proven he's got a nose for a gem!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I take that on board lee, to be fair I don't know what fee a tribunal would set, but it is very difficult as said baove to compare one fee for one player with another, you could throw Muzzy Carayol in to the ring here, never held down a regular first team spot with us, we had him for only 2 season's, and yet we were awarded £35k plus sell on's.

Which I though was a fee well over and above what he was worth then, so who knows which way any tribunal would go, but do agree there are opition's out there, that would not cost the club as much, I am sure Lingy know's who he wants.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

It would be better, and more likely, for Bodin to come here on loan next season, before any thoughts of a permanent move which may or may not be possible. And even better again, and more than possible, as Lee says, for Ling to find a hidden or forgotten gem somewhere for next to nothing and to get the best out of him.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

CP Gull wrote: Yes, he is out of contract.

Regardless of whether or not Swindon, or more accurately Paulo Di Canio, wanted to keep the player or not they were always going to offer him a contract as if they failed to do so he would have become a free agent and walked away for nothing. Now that they have formally offered him a new (improved) contract they have preserved their entitlement to a transfer fee should he choose not to take that up. Any fee paid will either have to be agreed between the selling club (Swindon) and the buying club(?) but if they cannot agree a fee (likely?) then it will need to be set by a tribunal panel.

Thanks CP. Perfect answer. :-D
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Doesn't sound as though he will be staying at Swindon .......

http://www.thisisswindontownfc.co.uk/ne ... football/?