CONFIRMED: Mark Ellis to Crewe ....

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

Agree with a lot of what CP Gull says above.

Instead of spitting the dummy about the (undisclosed) fees, let us remember that this manager and board showed the prudence and foresight to tie the players to long deals, thereby ensuring that we pull in a large sum of much-needed cash.

The 3 leavers are all good players, but will any of us really be regaling our grandkids about them? I think not.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

James Collins will at least get them something at tribunal as he's under 23. He's also one more striker ahead of Billy Bodin, as well as Andy Williams, who Swindon also signed yesterday. Billy is probably now their 10th choice striker, and yet his value is probably set at more than our best players.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Gulliball wrote:James Collins will at least get them something at tribunal as he's under 23. He's also one more striker ahead of Billy Bodin, as well as Andy Williams, who Swindon also signed yesterday. Billy is probably now their 10th choice striker, and yet his value is probably set at more than our best players.
Yep, quite right Gully.

I just realised that after I posted but as you say they are entirely at the mercy of what the tribunal will value him at now.

As for Billy B, I really cannot see a future at Swindon for him now, if he stays he is destined for a place on the bench next season at best, but more likely not even that. I guess it's all down to who comes in for him now and what they may be prepared to pay, in comparison to what we are ... Crewe are certainly interested.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

"Something" is only only worth what "Someone" is prepared to pay. :devil:
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
NA Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Howe

Post by NA Gull »

£70k has been 'touted' and nowhere does it say we have accepted the offer. Either way it is a bit like Deal or No Deal. £70k (or whatever the offer is) now or risk it for £100k or £50k via a tribunal, which always seem to favour the purchasing club.

I like Ellis but would rather keep Saah, and as others have said, players come and go and hopefully Ling has people in mind whatever happens.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

diamondgirl wrote:"Something" is only only worth what "Someone" is prepared to pay. :devil:
Exactly right. If Ellis wants to go, and Crewe are the only club interested, where is Torquay's leverage?

Why take a chance on the tribunal?
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

NA Gull wrote:£70k has been 'touted' and nowhere does it say we have accepted the offer.
no but you know that we will!! or another of those infernal undisclosed fees

its impressive that we'll be getting half a million in fees, but it should be so much more than that
still keeping the faith
NA Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Howe

Post by NA Gull »

bixieupnorth wrote: no but you know that we will!! or another of those infernal undisclosed fees

its impressive that we'll be getting half a million in fees, but it should be so much more than that
Fwiw In think overall the summer business has been satisfactory. When you take into account the two years of massive losses, the new stand and the new training facilities, the baord have done well to recoup £500k back into the club. When was the last time we received that much? Gregg £400k, Jack £300k?, Graham, £215k?

Eunan is the disapppinting one, but if he would not have signed without the £175k clause, I would have taken Eunan for another year and then sold for £175k than him seeing out his contract and getting £100k via a tribunal. If that had happened the place would have been in uproar.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

£70k Are they seriously taking the piss?!?!

That just makes me angry :@ :@ :@
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I'm not fretting about the £70k just yet - its only the touted figure. That figure may have been touted by the Crewe boss, in a context like "I'm hoping to get that Ellis from Torquay, we'll test the waters with £70k and see if they accept". It does not yet say that we have agreed anything. As someone has rightly pointed out, if we were rejected 6-figure bids from Rochdale not long ago, why accept less? Unless we really do believe that a tribunal won't work in our favour.

I am (was) a big fan of Mark Ellis, but this whole scenario has left a sour taste in my mouth as he's taken the club for a bit of a ride. We were always going to offer him a deal, if for no other reason than to ensure we get a fee for him. It feels like Mark Ellis is stalled and stalled on that deal whilst flouting himself to other clubs to get a better deal, safe in the knowledge that if that didn't work out he had an offer to fall back on from us. Maybe it didn't really pan out like that, but the cynical amongst us could view it like that.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Jeff wrote:I'm not fretting about the £70k just yet - its only the touted figure. That figure may have been touted by the Crewe boss, in a context like "I'm hoping to get that Ellis from Torquay, we'll test the waters with £70k and see if they accept". It does not yet say that we have agreed anything. As someone has rightly pointed out, if we were rejected 6-figure bids from Rochdale not long ago, why accept less? Unless we really do believe that a tribunal won't work in our favour.

I am (was) a big fan of Mark Ellis, but this whole scenario has left a sour taste in my mouth as he's taken the club for a bit of a ride. We were always going to offer him a deal, if for no other reason than to ensure we get a fee for him. It feels like Mark Ellis is stalled and stalled on that deal whilst flouting himself to other clubs to get a better deal, safe in the knowledge that if that didn't work out he had an offer to fall back on from us. Maybe it didn't really pan out like that, but the cynical amongst us could view it like that.
Agreed. My feelings towards Mr Ellis are pretty poor right now.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Agreed aswell. I think he is being a bit of a tool tbh!
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Which is another good reason to love Dinger. He gave Mark a deadline, one would imagine, for this very reason, in order to stop him from dicking us about all summer and then agreeing to sign with us when it all went tits up.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

I really like(d) Mark. I have him down as my fav player, but I do think he is taking the P***. He knows that Lingy would love to keep him, and he is using that as a bargaining tool. Heads he wins tails we lose. I think the best thing for TUFC would be to sell him on, as he, obviously, does not really want to play for us. I know its a different situation, because of their ages, but look at Manse & Nicho. They were both, to coin a phrase, "Over the moon" to be offered extensions to their contracts. They WANT to play for TUFC. This isn't the first time that Mark has been linked with a move away, and to be honest, much as I like him, we should move him out. Its not fair on the club, or supporters, to have this negative attitude from a player.

Ship him out, let him see if the grass is greener.
Last edited by diamondgirl on 19 Jun 2012, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Having thought about this, does anybody else think that Ellis rates himself more than the manager(s) of our club do. Clearly Ling didn't think much of him at the start of the season, given that he didn't start until an injury to first Robertson and then Saah, which have him a chance to get into the team. After that, well obviously Robertson left which meant Mark was pretty much guaranteed a starting place.
Buckle too didn't appear to rate Ellis that much either.

I really do think that Mark isn't as good as he clearly thinks he is!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com