Has O'Kane Gone Yet?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

agreed that both bobby and eunan have acted the way us Torquay fans would want then to, with at least some of the clubs interest at the heart of their contracts and decisions

on the flip side you get yr robbos and Ellis' who appear to solely think of their own pockets in their dealings. obviously we can't blame them for that but id imagine that if our paths cross again that the first pair would be greeted warmly, whereas the other pair will probably be ignored at best or given the full buckle treatment!
Last edited by bixieupnorth on 19 Jun 2012, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
still keeping the faith
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

PhilGull wrote: I'm just commenting on the evidence I have seen. He turned his back on his home nation (Northern Ireland) to go and play for another.

*EDIT: And as such people shouldn't be surprised if he turns his back on us to go and play for one of our rivals.
Northern Ireland is hardly a nation.. :whistle:
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

I have worked extensively in Northern Ireland, especially in the area around Londonderry/Derry.

Life really is not quite as simple as some people would think and many of Northern Ireland's population would think Euanne did anything but "turn his back on his country".

You have to remember how different things are in Northern Ireland. Londonderry/Derry's main club whilst strictly in Northern Ireland play in the Irish football league and whilst there is another senior club at Drumahoe, just outside the city, they are actually the University team (Institute). I saw them play once at home to Newry City and the crowd was barely 200 and that was in Northern Ireland's senior division, the same division as the likes of Glentoran and Linfield play.

I would have been suprised if Euanne had ever become a full international for Northern Ireland, but I would not be a bit surprised if he gets his chance as an Irish international....that is just the way things are....and it does not mean everyone in the provence is a complete bastard, they quite simply are not...

When Euanne was released from Everton, he was not too proud to return home and join Coleraine, a team (to my best knowledge) has no political history in terms of support and did well enough to pack his bags and try his luck in England's bottom division.

I think Euanne has conducted himself with great dignity during his time at Torquay. He is moving at the right time and is too good to be playing in England's 4th division. When our intiall and understandable disspaointment of him leaving heals, we will all be proud to see him progress through the football league.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

So, Eunan seems to have just seen some of the more recent comments in this thread.............

@eunan10
Just been shown some stuff on the Internet about me. Some Torquay fans have gone down in my estimations.#disapointed
TUST member 203
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

PhilGull wrote:Don't be surprised he's off to Crawley, he ditched his Norn Iron in the vain hope of getting better International experience with the Republic. Whatever his footballing ability he seems a man of few scruples.
Oi numbnuts - seems Eunan has read your posts

Twitter quote -"Just been shown some stuff on the Internet about me. Some Torquay fans have gone down in my estimations.#disapointed"

Well played mate - sure he is thrilled.

Hope he does not let the odd idiot tarnish his views of the club.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
shaunicus
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by shaunicus »

Said it on a previous thread and I'll say it again here - he'd have been an utter fool to turn Crawley down.

Who on earth would turn down the chance to play at a higher level for more money? The fact it's Crawley and we have a petty spat with them wouldn't and shouldn't enter into his mind. Some people seriously need to start living in the real world.

If he is indeed reading this - thanks for everything Eunan - it's been a pleasure watching you develop and I hope you go on to greater things.
nicktufc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Euuuuuuuunan

Post by nicktufc »

Absolute idiocy Phil. You know the footballer, not the man.

Eunan is such a nice lad, and a pleasure to have met. His decision will be based purely on his own development, and I for one, wish him the best of luck should he choose to move on.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

I was going to tweet it but I don't want to make crimes against the English language by trying to fit it in 140 characters.

Likewise Eunan you'll go down in my estimations if you decide to take the money at Crawley over your football ambitions. They are an absolute nothing club and you are better than them. it might be less money but at least you coudl go to a proper football club if you held out a bit. I'm also disappointed that either yourself or your agent felt £175,000 was fair value for the football club that has made you the player you are today.

If and when you go i'll wish you all the best, you're an outstandingly talented footballer that could go as high as you want. Shame then that you'd choose to not actually progress up the food chain to a club that could look after you, surround you with better players and better faciilites to enhance your game and International ambitions. Money talks.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

It would be a pity if Eunan read this and thought badly of us. I don't think it is fair to have a go at him for changing to the Republic. Things are complex in Northern Ireland to put it mildly, we couldn't hope to understand fully.

For myself I am really sorry to see him go, he is one of the most talented players that I have seen at Plainmoor. I don't blame him at all for wanting to better himself. My only issue is who he is going to, he could do so much better (I am sure he will in the long run when he moves on from Crawley). At least he doesn't have to play for Fatty and Cheat at Creepy.

(I also hope that Eunan doesn't interpret the hostility of some of us to Crawley as being a criticism of him in any way. For myself it is an expression of sadness that he is leaving to join a team that I grew to dislike intensely whilst the horrible fat one was in charge. I am sure he must have been given a good offer to go there, but it certainly hasn't helped that the Crawley manager O'Driscoll chose to insult Torquay when interviewed by the Herald. It also doesn't help that some of their fans behave like arrogant c*cks, it is only human to want them to be brought down a peg or two.)

Good luck Eunan!
Last edited by gullintwoplaces on 19 Jun 2012, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

It is totally unfair to bring up Eunan's switch from NI to the ROI and to speculate on the reasons for his switch. Typically Eunan at the time chose, wisely in my opinion, to keep his own counsel on the subject knowing full well the sensitivity of the issue and so I would imagine only the man himself and those close to him will know the real reasons.... anything else is pure speculation.

Like others have said, EOK has conducted himself superbly in all his time at TUFC and is clearly a very popular man with the rest of the squad and management.

I wish him all the best, whatever he decides, and will always follow his career with interest and hope that eventually he gets to play at the sort of level his undoubted quality should take him to.
Last edited by CP Gull on 19 Jun 2012, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

at this moment in time, he's still a torquay player. he hasn't gone anywhere (yet). :-D

hopefully if eunan reads this, he'll ignore the one stupid post (which i dare say was not meant to cause offence but very poor judgement nonetheless) see how highly regarded he is, tell crawley to naff off and we'll have another great season with eunan pulling the strings :bow:
Brady

I Wish I Was There
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Wow! Okay, firstly, I didn't mean to offend anyone and would wholeheartedly like to apologise, especially to Eunan himself for referencing his International career.
As for his leaving the club I will be very sorry to see him go, especially if it is to Crawley. However, he's a young lad and ambitious to boot.

Eunan, thanks for the memories, just don't expect an easy ride if you ever return with Crawley ;-)
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

bixieupnorth wrote:agreed that both bobby and eunan have acted the way us Torquay fans would want then to, with at least some of the clubs interest at the heart of their contracts and decisions

on the flip side you get yr robbos and Ellis' who appear to solely think of their own pockets in their dealings. obviously we can't blame them for that but id imagine that if our paths cross again that the first pair would be greeted warmly, whereas the other pair will probably be ignored at best or given the full buckle treatment!
Can't agree with you on Robbo, bixi..Chris Robertson acted very fairly towards our club, Robbo made it quite clear to our club back in January he was not going to sign a new contract, allowing us to get a fee for him, we would have lost him for nothing this summer, Robbo could have let his contract run down picked a nice signing on fee and screwed us over, he didn't and deserves no critizm from us.

Yes Mark Ellis knew our club would get a fee becasue of his age, however think his actions have been dissgracful towards our club, and right now, not sure who the hell he thinks he is, dragging it out, aswell as telling the club at one point he wanted to stay, bye, bye Mark not missing you.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

He's still going to have this £175k clause for the next two years. A championhip side will come in for him either later this summer or in January if he keeps his form up and he'll get his big move.

Go to Crawley for £175k, sign a three year contract and they won't accept a £175k offer from a Championship side, or a £250k offer, or a £500k offer. He'll be at Crawley for a long time to come.

So unless Crawley is his dream move, he'd be much better waiting six months and then get his big move.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

One other point, if Eunan O'Kane is the intelligent person we all think he is, then surely he would have learnt by now to completely ignore what is written on a fans forum, in the grand scheme of things these are opinions of fans, and realy dont matter or count.
Formerly known as forevertufc