PSF: Torquay United v Royal Marines, 20/07/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

3-0, Mansell (79)

FT: It's ended 3-0.

Stevens (6), O'Kane (Pen, 17), Mansell (79).
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Hmm.. Good start. Stating the obvious, but games like this will help players get up to speed, each at his own pace, so to speak; would not expect them all to get there in the very first game. It's good match practice, and that's about all that can be said at this stage, except our best wishes and thanks to the Royal Marines for all their help and facilities.. :-D
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

It was a good night watching the players tonight, especially the new ones. The new stand looks good and the subs bench's have been fitted. A couple more seats have to be fitted in, also the bar area. 'Bristow's Bench' in black writing is now on the top of the stand. It might be temporary and I hope it is because it looks terrible, it will be a real dissapointment if it stays like that!

To keep it short it was all Torquay, the Marines gave it a good go, but we're never in the game. The only chance they had was from a free kick in the very first minute of the game. It was a good idea by Ling to have two sides tonight, a chance to see all the players.

GK

Rice: Ricey had an ok game however he didn't really have much to do. He did make a couple terrible passes, especially one to Ledbitter out on the right wing. But to be fair to him, he did make some good takes from crosses.

Poke: Had nothing to do all game, but was solid when crosses were swung in or when he needed to retrieve the ball and commanded the defence well.

Defence

Hutchings: A youngster and had a pretty solid game clearing away the danger, he did make a couple wayward passes and interceptions but the midfield were there to get the ball back.

Saah: Solid, absolutely solid! Looked very comfortable on the ball, never panicked and defended well.

Leadbitter: He had an ok game and looked good when coming forward, using his pace well. However at the back he wasn't strong enough and got bullied off the ball easily. The trouble is with Leadbitter, is that he is very thin and won't survive in a competitive game.

Craig: I thought Nathan was one of the best players on the pitch in the first half. Playing in the LB position, not his usual place to play, but he looked very comfortable. Never panicked on situations, cleared the ball well and made a few good paces.

Oastler: Joe played very well at the back. Cleared and passed the ball very well and looked very good when he was under a little pressure at the back. He had one big burst of speed down the line beating a few players and ending up winning a free kick.

Nicholson: Looked very solid at the back, but did more coming forward to be honest. Linked up with Mansell, Bodin and Thompson very well and played in some very good, dangerous crosses.

Easton: Made a few sloppy passes at the back but the mistakes didn't come to anything, but having said that he did clear away the danger well and made some good passes.

Cruise: He looked very good a very skilful defender. He's not the biggest lad but looked strong and confident.

Midfield

Lathrope: Damon looked a bit off the pace and made some sloppy mistakes, but at times he looked like his normal self and linked up with others well.

O'Kane: He looked brilliant tonight, looked very fit and linked up with players around him brilliantly. He showed his pace and skilful ability well throughout the first half. He scored the second goal from a penalty. Put it away nicely in the bottom left hand corner.

Morris: Ian looked pretty solid throughout, make a couple good little runs and passes. At times he looked a bit off the pace, but that can't dampen his performance tonight.

Halpin: Looked pacey and wanted the ball, but never really showed any brilliance. The only highlight for him was a nice cross he put in the first half.

Stevens: Danny made a couple of mistakes but having said that made some good runs and passes and was involved in many good moves. He scored the first goal, got at the end of a very good cross from Morris.

Mansell: Manse looked solid, never stopped moving and never stopped communicating. Made some very good passes, moves and link up plays, especially with Bodin, Nicholson and Howe. He scored the third goal, it was a cracking effort around 15-20 yards out, right into the bottom left hand corner.

Bodin: He looked a little of the pace tonight, but at times his touch was very good a linked up well with Oaster, Nicholson and Mansell. He made some very good runs down the wing as well in the second half.

MacKenzie: He wasn't really in the game at all and looked very uncomfortable, but at times he linked up with Mansell and the wingers well.

Thompson: Like MacKenzie he wasn't really in the game, but showed off his pace and skill when on the wing attacking the line.

Strikers

Jarvis: Looked off the pace tonight and never really got going and that showed when he couldn't get on the end to some over the top balls. He did, however, put the goalkeeper under pressure at times.

Howe: First of all he's lost a lot of weight (matching that is Nicholson!) and looked more pacey. His touch was good and linked up well with the Torquay boys. He looked like he really wanted to score (which was good) but never got to it, but had a terrific effort saved.

Yeoman: Never really in the game, ran around a lot but never did anything special. He did link up with Nicholson and Bodin at times though.

Appologies for the long post, but I thought a match report was in order! A quick mention on the Marine GK in the second half, made four incredible saves that a pro keeper would have been proud of. Also I counted we were flagged offside ten times! Seemed a lot, but then I realised the lino that called most of them, flagged offside from a throw in!

Anyway a good turn out from the fans, around 3/4 of the FA full and will be good to watch the Tivvy game from the Bench on Tuesday.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
northharrowgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northharrowgull »

Thanks Danny, great match report and the momentum is building. Getting quite excited now with only a few weeks to go. Best news of the night without doubt is that Rene has shed some weight. Theres no doubt he's a class act but I reckon his weight contributed to his injury problems last season so hopefully a leaner Rene will stay fit and who knows maybe double his goal tally from last season. We can but hope
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper

Post by MidDevon »

OK, at the risk of being a laughing stock, I was at tonight's match and thought the score was 4.0, Stephen's scoring a second just before half time.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

MidDevon wrote:OK, at the risk of being a laughing stock, I was at tonight's match and thought the score was 4.0, Stephen's scoring a second just before half time.
Just before half-time I went for a pee. Dammit I missed a goal..!! :-o
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Watched the game with "bbc" (bruciesbootcleaner).

The highlight of the evening for me, was not winding up "fiatlover" and "cracked" Diamond girl (about bellend Bartlett and his bell), but the outstanding performance of the player wearing the "99" shirt.

"Flake" that goalkeeper wasn't, real hero he was :bow:

Danny must have miss counted, "99" made six outstanding saves and two of those would not have been out of place at a World Cup tournament. :bow:

I'm sure if SG had witnessed that performance, he would have been very complimentary.

The "rotund" physique of "99", reminded me of the "flying pig" (Tommy Lawrence - Liverpool goalkeeper, 1957-1971).

Well done "99" :clap: :bow: :clap:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Mr_T1nker
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by Mr_T1nker »

MidDevon wrote:OK, at the risk of being a laughing stock, I was at tonight's match and thought the score was 4.0, Stephen's scoring a second just before half time.
He put it wide, it hit the wall behind and nestled the wrong side of the back of the net ;-)
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

From what I understand Jake Hutchings is only 16 and has been at the club only three weeks, I thought he showed a lot of maturity for someone so young and carried himself very well. The club rate him and have high hopes for the future definitely one to watch.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

612 there according to report on OS
still keeping the faith
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Trojan 67 wrote:Danny must have miss counted, "99" made six outstanding saves and two of those would not have been out of place at a World Cup tournament. :bow:
I may have miss counted but nevertheless, '99' was brilliant last night!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper

Post by MidDevon »

bathy wrote: He put it wide, it hit the wall behind and nestled the wrong side of the back of the net ;-)

Oh dear, time for me to move to the bench to get a good view of both goals =Z

To be fair it was not just me, my friends young lad went home happy that his favourite player got two goals!

shall I tell him ? :whistle: