Honest Lingy

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Hmm, I remember a very similar opinion last year, and the year before, and the year before, and the year before etc.

Brucie, whaf are your thoughts on the Lubos Kubic era?
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Kernowgull wrote:
Hmm, I remember a very similar opinion last year, and the year before, and the year before, and the year before . . . . .

. . . . . . and the year before, and the year before, and the year before . . . . . .

:lol:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Kernowgull wrote:Hmm, I remember a very similar opinion last year, and the year before, and the year before, and the year before etc.

Brucie, whaf are your thoughts on the Lubos Kubic era?
You know what, I only saw one game of the Lubos Kubik era - Leyton Orient away in the FA Cup - and we looked half decent! And that was despite some bizarre line up with Stevland angus playing left wing!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

My views on Tuesday coincide with those of the managers ie we were garbage.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

I'd love to see where Lingy says we were garbage Brucie. From what I read, he says 6-7 of our players under performed to their full potential and we were duly punished for it.

Anyway, we were bad, but today is a different kettle of fish. Support your club through good results and bad results, otherwise go support the Manchester
Clubs or one of the big clubs in the Premier League.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Your opinions do not match Mr Lings brucie. If Martin Ling, proffesional football manager, thought Craig Easton was a pub league player, do you think he'd have signed him?

And what does Exeter not getting hammered prove, that we're doomed to relegation? Exeter once drew with Man United, but theyve never qualified for the Champions League.

I havent followed Citys pre season, they may finish above us, because in football anything can happen, but that won't be determined on the basis of them losing by less to a different team, especially when we had 4 players, all in the same important position, out for various reasons
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Exeter thumped at home by Morecombe. We drew away to a team that should go up.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

usagullmichigan wrote:Exeter thumped at home by Morecombe. We drew away to a team that should go up.
Somewhat sadly, not on yesterday's showing they shouldn't.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Good result on Saturday after Tuesdays inept performance. I would say at this early stage our defence looks solid enough. Downes looks a good replacement for Ellis (although not as good).
Its going forward where we will struggle though. No suprise really that we havn't scored a goal in two games.
We lack any spark in midfield.
My assessment of Eastons peformance must have had some accuracy because Ling dropped him on Saturday - in favour of a centre half!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

brucie wrote:Good result on Saturday after Tuesdays inept performance. I would say at this early stage our defence looks solid enough. Downes looks a good replacement for Ellis (although not as good).
Its going forward where we will struggle though. No suprise really that we havn't scored a goal in two games.
We lack any spark in midfield.
My assessment of Eastons peformance must have had some accuracy because Ling dropped him on Saturday - in favour of a centre half!
A lot could depend on Craig's development. Reading into what Ling has said he expects him to play a big part this year. Throwing him against a big occasion as Fleetwood’s first game after his recent injuries might be too much put suspect there is a chance he might the next home game.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Oh Brucie your comedy genius knows no bounds, Aaron Downes think its fair to say seems to have forgoten more about good all round defending than Ellis ever knew, yep Ellis could header a ball but than was about it, so stronger there.

Poke for Bobby like for like, Bodin in, O'Kane out not to much damage done, Macklin, yep the jury is still out, however so far has looked re-born in a Carayol kind of way if than carrys on through out the season added pace and power we sadly missed last term, Jarvis in for Atieno slightly stronger there aswell, and who can forget our old friend McPhee out.

Not sure how anyone can say our squad looks weaker, clearly stronger, the only down side to me is some clubs who finished just below us have recruited well and all round think the division is a lot stronger, we going to be just fine though.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

forevertufc wrote:Oh Brucie your comedy genius knows no bounds, Aaron Downes think its fair to say seems to have forgoten more about good all round defending than Ellis ever knew, yep Ellis could header a ball but than was about it, so stronger there.

Poke for Bobby like for like, Bodin in, O'Kane out not to much damage done, Macklin, yep the jury is still out, however so far has looked re-born in a Carayol kind of way if than carrys on through out the season added pace and power we sadly missed last term, Jarvis in for Atieno slightly stronger there aswell, and who can forget our old friend McPhee out.

Not sure how anyone can say our squad looks weaker, clearly stronger, the only down side to me is some clubs who finished just below us have recruited well and all round think the division is a lot stronger, we going to be just fine though.
Agree with much of this but the worry for me is (as brucie says) goals. Manse had an exceptional goal scoring season last and we cannot expect him to get the total he did last year (same could be said for Stevens to a lesser extent) so we might be stuggling in this department IMO.
Last edited by Richinns on 20 Aug 2012, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I think many, me included Rich share the same concern I think by the very nature of the way we play this season may well run the same as last and we could see a number of close games, whether the team can convert these games into 1.0 wins like last season remains to be seen.

That said I do believe there is goals in this team, there is no reason why Manse and Stevens will not way in with a good number of goals, both have proved they can score, Howe missed I think 7 games due to suspension and a few more with injury and still scored 14, he has shed some lbs, injury hopefully won't be an issue, and I am sure Lingy has spoke to him about last terms suspensions, expect to see him play more games that hopefully will equal more goals from him.

Bodin scored for us, Swindon and Crewe so has proved he can score aswell, the only dissappointment for me is Morris scored a number of good goals early in his career, so far for us his finishing at times has been woeful, thats one area where he needs to improve as he knows as does Lingy he can score.
Formerly known as forevertufc
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

There is no way we are stronger than last year - its nonsense to suggest otherwise. Yes if Craig and Macklin develop into stars great.
But suggesting that Macklin is "reborn" in some ways is flying in the face of reason. He actually needs to show it in the first team. He hasn't got the ability of Carayol - far from it.
As for Craig - well who knows. He has been here half a season and if he is so good why have we never seen him?
Realistically there is no evidence to suggest that putting either of these two in the first team will make it stronger.
As for Downes - he looked solid enough, but better than Ellis? - come on Ellis went for 80k and is playing in a higher division.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

But as you correctly say, we will play exactly the same was as last year and it is pretty unlikely that we will secure enough wins to provide anything other than a mid table position. We look solid enough though. Cruise to me actually a decent player as well on Tuesday night.