Are we in a relegation battle?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Are we in a relegation battle?

Yes
58%
No
42%

Total votes: 48

wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Indubitably. The folly of not getting in any loanees was apparent this afternoon. Attendances falling; there will be less than 2000 on Tuesday - and we will lose.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I think we are because virtually anyone in the lower half of the division is capable of going down.

In most seasons there is one team nailed on for the drop almost from the start and then a second who drops like a stone when everyone else starts fighting. For this reason I think we need to halt our drop down the division now and get a couple of wins and a couple of draws in the next five games. Whether we can halt the slide we will have to see. Fortunately we are not the only ones slipping down.

Play like we did today and we will be OK. Whoever said today was crap must be out of their mind!
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
dazgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jean-Pierre Simb

Post by dazgull »

If its a poor night weather wise it could be about 1500 !!

We are heading for one but dont think we will go down there are a couple of clubs that will finish below us but we have certainly thrown away all the last two years work on the pitch. Although Bristol and Wycombe are on exceleent runs and will finish in the playoffs if they carry on like this!!
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

austrianandygull wrote:No Scott, just saying. If i had put that up we'd have had 'why so negative' all over again. It's same old same old and people say i can't make my mind up. I think it's a pointless thread IMO but so long as someone else says something as negative as this then it's fine. Nothing to do with playing the 'feel sorry for me card' it's just me being f*cking annoyed at the unjustness of it all. So bye.

I respect your opinion Austrian but I'm hardly trying to sound negative. I believe we aren't in a relegation fight but I feel that this should be a topic that should be discussed. Our form isn't great at the moment and I am certainly beginning to look towards the bottom end of the table rather than further up towards the top half. I just wanted to get other posters opinions on what they feel about the matter.

Anyone who knows me will know that I will always support the team. I go to more away games than home and the few people here who know me will know I sing my heart out and try to support the team.

I will be at Aldershot doing exactly that and anyone wanting to join in with me are more than welcome :scarf:
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

Quite simply we need 50 points, Oxford were mighty unlucky to go down on 49 points and no team has ever taken more points as them and dropped out of the football league

....so to me it's a 50 point target, then we can say we are safe
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Gulliball wrote:No. The poor run since Christmas and failure to add to the squad has seen any chance of the play-offs slip away, but we are firmly in mid-table and shouldn't worry too much about relegation. It's still a possibility but we have a while to go yet before we are involved.
Have you even looked at the league table? SEVEN points clear. Two wins and a draw is all someone needs to do to overtake us.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Seven off the drop zone, two off "mid table" and ten off play off places.

That shows to me how tight this league really is.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

OK - I've calmed down.

I want to apologise to all for my outburst earlier (I will address this issue with each person I directly moaned at earlier via PM).
The outburst in no way reflects the views of any of the admin team and was unprofessional given that I am an admin on this site.

Whilst I appreciate that there is no excuse for swearing at people and losing my temper, my son was up half the night for various different reasons and so I have had less sleep than normal (and I don't need much in the first place).

So, just wanted to apologise to anybody offended by my language and/or my outburst.

Thanks,

Scott

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

Not even close.

Chill out. Listen to some music. Grab a cup of tea. Calm down. You're doing football wrong.

We will be absolutely fine. Keep pushing on and reassess everything in the summer.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

TKTUFC91. No worries and sorry for the dismissiveness of my post.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

austrianandygull wrote:TKTUFC91. No worries and sorry for the dismissiveness of my post.
No worries Austrian, we all have opinions and I welcome any points of view from anyone. The joys of a footie forum :-D

The defeat probably didn't help our morale either tbh :@
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Of course the table is tight and a few wins could see us safely up in midtable. Sorry however we are every bit in a relegation battle, and that really hurts to say.

Really hope this post comes back to bite me in the butt.
Formerly known as forevertufc
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

no.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Over last eight games only Rochdale and Accrington have picked up less points than us. We have only been able to amass 6 points out of 24. That is relegation form and we do not have a big enough gulf between ourselves and teams below us, who are in better form, to be able to confidently say we are not in a relegation battle.

The club - well, Martin Ling by all accounts - seem unwilling to look for answers beyond the current squad, so we are stuck with what we have. It then makes you look at Ling's record at Cambridge and how he went months without a win and really, since around March time, our form has been poor.

The football is boring, the atmosphere at Plainmoor is non-existent and the sparse crowds are getting even sparser. No doubt the Janner Indy will try and plug the notion that we are looking towards the play-offs and the official site will pretend all is well, but the reality is that this complacent notion of 'we're too good to go down, we have the players to keep us up etc' is nonsense. We have these players now and they have not been doing the business now for nearly FOUR months.

What is it that makes people think we are going to start wining games? The return of Rene Howe? We weren't winning when he was playing despite the poor bloke ploughing a lonely farrow up front because despite his excellent efforts he can't do it on his own.

There is no guile or flair in the team. It is pedestrian football and I think so many Torquay fans reflect and just feel bored. And boredom leads to apathy. You just cannot see this team getting the result it needs come to the big games. We cannot chase games. The other team scores first and you pretty much know its game over.
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

hector
The club - well, Martin Ling by all accounts - seem unwilling to look for answers beyond the current squad, so we are stuck with what we have. It then makes you look at Ling's record at Cambridge and how he went months without a win
I happened to pick up last seasons programme for the Wimbledon game a few days ago and on Simon Baker's page he notes that " We have now gone eight games without a win". I don't know what Ling tried to do when he had a team that couldn't buy a win at Cambridge but maybe it didn't work. The more recent evidence of what he does in that situation would tell that he possibly tried something different from what he tried at Cambridge, turned our results around and we ended up finishing in the play off positions. I don't foresee that happening this season but we should remember the more optimistic evidence we can draw on from last season without solely going back to Cambridge.

hector
You just cannot see this team getting the result it needs come to the big games. We cannot chase games. The other team scores first and you pretty much know its game over.
That's certainly a huge concern to so many hector, and of course it's all tied up with our current inability to score. The character in the squad to fight back from being behind was one thing that really impressed me earlier in the season. We went behind to league leaders Gillingham but fought back to win, found ourselves 3-0 down to Aldershot but fought back to win. Despite only having 10 men we came back from 2-0 down at Bristol Rovers to draw level for a while. Maybe losing Ian Morris has had a bigger impact than is realised, although not many had a good word for him when he was fit and playing.

We seemed to create a decent amount of chances yesterday by most accounts, but we really do need to be hitting the back of the net a bit more often to pick up the points we need, irrespective of which team scores first.