What position do we need to strengthen

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

You may be right Andy, however I view the midfield to be the fulcrum of attacking play, it was highlighted yesterday by the number of times Rene Howe came deep in search of the ball, and thats why I am banging the drum for a creative player, we have defensive minded players in the middle but feel we lack the player who can drive forward attacks and/or pick a pass,all the things Eunan used to do. I do not think it really is a case of our defensive players having no faith in the attack, our attackers can not be the fulcrum of attacking play when they feeding of scraps. One thing is for sure our team can be rigid/static.
Formerly known as forevertufc
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

You're probably right Dave. One thing is for sure, someone needs to start scoring a few goals as of tuesday and none of us will care how they come. :scarf:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

The suggestion in the WMN online today is that Knill will be looking at bringing in a wide man as a priority and I cannot disagree.

I have felt for a while now that the spine of our team is decent enough but has been let down by the wide players, both defensively and offensively, too many times this season. Yes, we would all love to have another EOK but that type and quality of player is hard to find at this level and we shouldn't forget that in order to accommodate Eunan in the team last season we had to play a 4-5-1 formation with both Lathrope and Mansell as "protection" in order to allow O'Kane to do his stuff. I don't see Knill doing that as he seems to be a 4-4-2 man and so it probably doesn't bode well for those pressing for a recall for Craig, or indeed Morris come to that, in the middle of the park I'm afraid.

When you look at the (successful) opposing teams that come here, not too many have that sort of "luxury" player in the middle of the park, perhaps Gow at Exeter being an exception, but most seem to have players who can win the ball in midfield, we have that, and then get it out wide to pacy and direct wingers, I would suggest we don't have that. The nearest we do have to that in the squad, are probably Macklin and Thompson, but as yet neither have been consistent enough, to force their way into the side.

Quite frankly, it is slightly ridiculous that we need to strengthen in this area as it is the one in the squad where we are clearly most top heavy and where in my opinion, Lingy invested too much of his playing budget, when the money would have been better spent elsewhere. When you think that we have had Bodin, Craig, Jarvis, Stevens, Macklin, Thompson, Halpin, Morris and even Yeoman (we even have Baker as yet another option, but what chance was he ever likely to be given when you look at the (im)balance of the squad) play out wide at various times this season, then it really shouldn't be a problem, but it is. I get the impression, from what our friendly Bury fan has said, that Knill likes pacy direct wingers that can go past people on the outside... the sort that has caused our Nico the most problems this season ... think McGlashan, Myrie-Williams, etc.

Actually I think the most telling feature of the first squad that Knill named was not so much the starting XI (pretty close to what most people were expecting surely) but the bench, or more pertinently those left sat in the stands. When you think that the likes of Macklin, Thompson and Yeoman (all quite pacy) were sat on it and yet the likes of Craig, Stevens and Morris were left out all together does not bode well for them under the current regime I would suggest, quite simply because none of them have that raw pace to go past people on the outside and I reckon that is what Knill wants from his wide men.

I would therefore expect Knill's first loan signing to be a pacy wide man, someone like Chris Zebroski would have been ideal, if it were not for his off field troubles I suppose. Interestingly, I believe that Knill made some positive comments about Elliot Benyon in his interview with RD before the game on Saturday, even mentioning that he had actually tried to sign EB in the past and that he had played well against his sides before. Well Zebroski actually scored three times for us in his last two games against his (at the time) Bury side, so he couldn't fail to have been impressed with him either, surely? It's just a shame he's such a nut job! Probably not Zebs then, but someone with similar attributes (on the field!) would be good.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

I sit in the family stand, nearest the pop, and we were crying out for a wide man on the right hand side, double team the left flank with Leadbitter pace. Whiz the ball in, Rene knock down, Benyon scores, simple. (ish)
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

We need a battler like Zebroski - someone who is dangerous going forward from wide but is also good at the defensive side of the game as well
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

:goodpost:

Interesting reading that CP Gull. :-D
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Agreed, the type of player along the lines of Eunan O'Kane are indeed so hard to find at this level, I was thinking along the lines of Danny Hollands who if I remember rightly came on loan to us from Chelsea's reserve squad, with respect to Nathan Craig who over time I can see developing into something. A young starlet from the premier league will be physicaly stronger and quicker, who whole reason why such a young player would still be on the books of a premier league club.

I have a real problem with Chris Zebroski coming back, ok we are in relegation trouble, and beggars can not be choosers. However with out trying to turn this into a oh look how good my lad is thing, but when I think back to him first being selected for representative sides, and the lads he met there who went into Torquay/Plymouth/Exeter centre of exellences, and of course the lads he met while a young Torquay player himself who have fallen by the wayside, a lot of these lads would have given there high teeth just to have a lower league career like Zebroski, let alone making it to the top the game.

It really does make me so angry to see a player like Zebroski piss his footballing career up against the wall. I think clubs should force any player they have who is not quite on the straight and narrow to go and watch young acadmey kids train, talk to those kids and parents about there ambitions, and at the end of the season players like Zebroski should be forced to sit in a room with youth team players who have just been told it is the end of the road and they have fallen at the final hurdle, hopefully it might make some realise just what they have, and have to lose.

Bring back Zebroski by all means, as said we are in it up to our necks, but put him on youth team wage until he has earnt his trust back. And if he is to pig headed to accept that then send him packing, do not see many jumping to offer him a deal right now.
Formerly known as forevertufc
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

We are in the current difficult position for two reasons:
(i) some players aren't good enough and/or are long past their sell-by date.
(ii) this had not been recognised and, in consequence, no-one has been brought in on loan. (Someone from Southend United reserves hardly qualifies).

It is, therefore, necessary to rectify (ii) as quickly as possible. Specifically, by acquiring temporarily a creative midfielder (lacking all season) and an attacker to support Howe.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Thought we looked weak in midfield on Saturday, actually. Mansell, you do wonder if this is his last season, lots of application and effort but little/no end product these days. Easton was quite ineffective.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I now realise we would greatly benefit from a creative midfielder but with 13 games to go and such players hard to come by at the best of times is it completely unrealistic to be looking for one?
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

yellowsmiffy wrote:I would have said creative centre mid, if I thought we could get one. Theyr'e so rare at this level, but I guess a young lad from a championship or prem team could be exactly what we need - Danny Hollands type, yes please!!!

Our powder puff style of football may look nice, but it doesn't score you goals when you lack a creative O'Kane type to create the clear cut chances. We just have posession and get forced to shoot from distance or not at all.
I agree with this. The central midfield has been frankly awful all campaign, and Danny Hollands is exactly the type of player we need. Mansell has been a great servant and, like Lathrope, was superb last season, and Easton seems a thoroughly likeable bloke, but they've simply not been good enough. Eunan O'Kane made Mansell and Lathrope look better and lifted their form in the same way Matt Hockley excelled alongside Alex Russell.

Right now we need some creativity from the heart of the team, someone who can retain possession, play through balls and control the midfield like Hollands and Stanley were able to. It would be asking a lot of Nathan Craig to fulfil that role given the circumstances, and it won't be easy to find someone, but this is the absolute priority. Although I'd obviously take a pacy, goalscoring winger, too!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Zebedee signs for Eastleigh.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

NickGull wrote:Zebedee signs for Eastleigh.
What a waste but no-one to blame but himself.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Nothing wrong with playing for Eastleigh :)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Chris B wrote: I agree with this. The central midfield has been frankly awful all campaign, and Danny Hollands is exactly the type of player we need. Mansell has been a great servant and, like Lathrope, was superb last season, and Easton seems a thoroughly likeable bloke, but they've simply not been good enough. Eunan O'Kane made Mansell and Lathrope look better and lifted their form in the same way Matt Hockley excelled alongside Alex Russell.
Right now we need some creativity from the heart of the team, someone who can retain possession, play through balls and control the midfield like Hollands and Stanley were able to. It would be asking a lot of Nathan Craig to fulfil that role given the circumstances, and it won't be easy to find someone, but this is the absolute priority. Although I'd obviously take a pacy, goalscoring winger, too!
some very good points there. i did say something similar on a thread a little while ago about fowler and russell helping to improve those around them, but also included kevin hill with matt hockley.

on to our current midfield.- i am absolutely sick and tired of hearing phrases such as holding/defensive/creative/attacking midfielder. :@ if these players are in the middle of the park they should be good enough to adapt and play whichever role or perform whatever task their manager asks of them. these guys are supposed to be "professional" footballers. if they cant keep a foot on the ball for a few seconds look up and find their team-mate with a pass they have no damn business being there.

the game is not easy i grant you but the principles and basics should be to a "professional". if any player cannot make the right decisions at the right time and pass the ball left, right, back or forward then they should not be playing. all the pro's on the pitch should have a good knowledge of the game and an abundance of skill which should see them be able to adapt and play at least adequetely in any position on the pitch.

also coaching and management should take some blame for our midfield creativity lacking. what the hell do they do in training. the players should all know their job by now and where each other are. a coach should have a team drilled in all the football, tactics, patterns and team-play that is required, if not what do they do. :|

we all hear how hard it is to make it and how a lot of players dont get in a league club. well tell me how the hell did our midfielders make it if they are unable to make a telling forward pass or even string a few possesion passes together.

:scarf:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).