Northampton Town v Torquay United - 29/3/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Northampton have a rugby team ?
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I know but they play the day after on the saturday which i presume is the reason we are playing on friday but why does it have to be an evening kick off given the distance for our fans when all the other friday games in l2 are at 3pm? Doesn't make sense and i wondered if there was some specific reason for it otherwise the Football League can go and finger their arses with spiky gloves.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

austrianandygull wrote:I know but they play the day after on the saturday which i presume is the reason we are playing on friday but why does it have to be an evening kick off given the distance for our fans when all the other friday games in l2 are at 3pm? Doesn't make sense and i wondered if there was some specific reason for it otherwise the Football League can go and finger their arses with spiky gloves.

eff - huck knows ? :|
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

austrianandygull wrote:
1. Why was this game switched to the friday?

2. Why do all the other league 2 friday games kick off at 3pm whilst ours is the only one to have a 7.45pm kick off? I'd say with the distance involved then ours should have been the first penned in for 3pm and most certainly not for 7.45!!
It wasn't switched to the Friday, there has always been a full programme of games on Good Friday , the ones on Saturday are the ones which have been switched.

Like Trojan I assumed the evening kick off was due to a clash with the rugby, now I have no idea!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I've just checked the Northampton Saints website and they deffo play on the saturday and i don't know if they have any other big rugby club in the town who might be playing Friday day.

I just think it's madness and it seems we are trodden all over again. I reckon that if you can prove you live in Devon like present a driving licence or something then they should let you in for free as a minor bit of encouragement to come to the game bearing in mind these fans won't get home until about 2am.

There must be some valid reason for this SURELY and i'm so intrigued i'm going to ring them tomorrow for a reasonable explanation or they will experience a minor rant.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Andy, you think us having to play Friday night is bad, there are 4 games Saturday, so thats 8 teams indeed that are playing Saturday and Monday.
Formerly known as forevertufc
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

forevertufc wrote:Andy, you think us having to play Friday night is bad, there are 4 games Saturday, so thats 8 teams indeed that are playing Saturday and Monday.
I know that Dave but why can't the fans be taken into consideration for once. I don't live in Devon so it doesn't matter to me but i feel strongly for you lot down there should you have wanted to travel. It's not on. We are only 1 of 3 games in the football league with a 7.45pm kick off and if there is no valid reason for this then i find it disgusting. I'm sure many more of us would have made it on friday if it was a 3pm kick off, anyway, their loss money wise. Like you say though, we get a bit more rest in between games.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

7.45 works great for me. Work till 3 on overtime rate, then a little over an hours drive to the game. No complaints here!
Bitchie Renault

Post by Bitchie Renault »

Meh, evening kick off means you can have a nice leisurely journey up there, bonus.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I'd like to see us really go for this from the off and not because i'm going and i want to see a gung ho attack-fest but because i feel it's our best way of approaching the game. They are a big, physical side and some of their fans reckon we'll just come and defend and if we do that i think we'll eventually concede. They won't be expecting a side down where we are to be growing in confidence in their own abilities and to start the game on the front foot and that might just gives us a chance of causing an upset.

It's a game many of us expect to lose so if we CAN somehow get a win here then we COULD be as much as 8 points clear of the bottom come 5pm saturday and if that were to happen i think we can all breathe easier that's for sure. Aldershot have a tricky away game at Rochdale and likewise York at Brizzle although i can see that being a high scoring draw.

Go for the win, we might lose but we expect that anyway. Hey, we might even win!
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

Ahhh, have fond memories of this fixture, went a few years ago on my birthday (cough, cough, next Friday, size 5 Manolos, cough, cough) and am still chuckling when I think about the Bayo Banter..

Anyway, can't see us getting anything more than a point to be honest, but am not so panic striken now we've had a couple of good results :scarf: :scarf: . If we match their robustness, we will be okay. I reckon 1-1 optimistically, or 2-1 realistically. Andy, make sure you layer up against the cold!!
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

austrianandygull wrote:I know but they play the day after on the saturday which i presume is the reason we are playing on friday but why does it have to be an evening kick off given the distance for our fans when all the other friday games in l2 are at 3pm? Doesn't make sense and i wondered if there was some specific reason for it otherwise the Football League can go and finger their arses with spiky gloves.
A Cobblers fan has provided the answer elsewhere:-

"Traditionally since the heights of the shoe industry in Northampton Good Friday has never been a Bank Holiday. They always had the Monday and Tuesday. Many companies still follow this tradtion. Consequently all our Good Friday games have been evening kick-off."
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

westbaygull wrote:Ahhh, have fond memories of this fixture, went a few years ago on my birthday (cough, cough, next Friday, size 5 Manolos, cough, cough)
I've got you a birthday present - a saga holiday cruise xx

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Just got up and have got tonight's game in my head, can't wait. COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Counting down the hours before setting off and COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Off to the game tonight as well.