So who will be relegated?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

stefano wrote: Still US and somebody else!

We have got 8 points from the last 6 games which if we continued with that form might just be enough to avoid relegation by the skin of our teeth.

The trouble is we won't. Alan Knill achieved 7 of those points and he is no longer here. If he had been in charge today we would now be sitting out of the relegation places with 10 points from the last 6 games, and confidence in our ability to avoid the drop would be high.

We will get nothing other than a damned good thrashing at Wimbledon next week and this time next week will be rooted to the bottom of the table, a position we will not shift from for the rest of the season.

History will record that the 2014 relegation of Torquay United out of the Football League never to return was as a result of a knee jerk reaction to losing two local derby games, despite having picked up 7 points from the previous 3 games. History will also record that this knee jerk reaction was as a result of pressure from a small minority of fans on what used to be quaintly called Fans Forums and involved something called the internet before direct thought transferance between individuals became the norm. At the time those in that minority felt that they were in fact a majority, but following relegation from the Football League with a record low number of points it all became clear, with cocks crowing three times all over the place, that it was impossible to find anybody who would actually admit to having wanted Mr Knill sacked.

After his departure the team line up for the very next game was a nightmare. Yes they tried, and tried very hard. However two players who had been due to be eased out of the club in the January transfer window seemed to have their very expensive but slow feet firmly under the table again. The 'bounce' which had been predicted failed to materialise and a game changing substitution by us saw the opponents score with their only shot of the game. How they must have regretted on that long coach trip north not having taken just one more shot which would surely have secured 3 points.

Despite predictions that the sacking of the manager was popular fewer than 2000 home fans turned up, a clear indication from the Torbay public as to what they think of knee jerk sackings of managers under pressure from so called fans.

So yes .... definitely US and in bottom place.

Who else? I still don't care but it would be nice if it were Bristol Rovers so that we could at least have a localish derby as we slip towards closer local derbies against Tiverton Town, Truro City, and Plymouth Parkway.

Note to our manager at that time: Just don't lose one!! ;-)
Ho Ho, Stefano.. What a wag you are..!! I take it you've not been to any Gulls' games this season..?? =D
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

We will be the best team ever to be relegated (except we won't, because there's no way on Earth we're going down).

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

ferrarilover wrote:We will be the best team ever to be relegated (except we won't, because there's no way on Earth we're going down).

Matt.
After 51 years of the Gulls wearing me down I really do hope you are right.

I would be as delighted as anybody and as relieved as I have always been during our many close escapes, but there is something just not right at the moment which I have not felt during over half a century of being a Torquay United fan. I hope my feeling is very wrong, as I think the next time we go there will be no return.

Let's hope that is not the case!
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

Garydegull wrote:Aee you knill secret love child or an exeter fan as that truly is a load of bollo. :)
Care to put that in English and include a question mark on the end? ;-)
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

Gullscorer wrote: Ho Ho, Stefano.. What a wag you are..!! I take it you've not been to any Gulls' games this season..?? =D
Of course but I am on medication for it! ;-)
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Stefano - your posting is bizarre. The inept Alan Knill has been costing us points all season, yet you somehow feel we would have won today with him in charge? On the basis of what? The team has been shocking under him since last February, he could barely muster a win got one measly point over Christmas, yet you think, for some utterly incomprehensible reason that we would have been better off today with one of our worst ever managers still in charge. A manager who cast a cloud of despondency over the entire club and fanbase and it was noticeable the plain relief everyone felt that he has gone. You cannot argue that we would have been better off with Knill in charge because the sorry state we are in is precisely because of Alan Knill.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

AK wouldn't have played Pearce, Nico or Lathrope or Labadie (as it was Geoff who got him back, apparently) & they all had a good game &they all feature in MOM vote. Who knows what might have happened today ?
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

hector wrote:Stefano - your posting is bizarre. The inept Alan Knill has been costing us points all season, yet you somehow feel we would have won today with him in charge? On the basis of what? The team has been shocking under him since last February, he could barely muster a win got one measly point over Christmas, yet you think, for some utterly incomprehensible reason that we would have been better off today with one of our worst ever managers still in charge. A manager who cast a cloud of despondency over the entire club and fanbase and it was noticeable the plain relief everyone felt that he has gone. You cannot argue that we would have been better off with Knill in charge because the sorry state we are in is precisely because of Alan Knill.
My dear Hector, have you never done a posting that others find bizarre?

PS. Have you ever trained to be a school teacher? I just wondered as I have noticed you often tell people in your posts what they can or cannot think. I just thought it was a trait that such training may engender. ;-)
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

taxilady wrote:AK wouldn't have played Pearce, Nico or Lathrope or Labadie (as it was Geoff who got him back, apparently) & they all had a good game &they all feature in MOM vote. Who knows what might have happened today ?
Exactly ;-)
Garydegull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Adrian Foster

Post by Garydegull »

stefano wrote: Care to put that in English and include a question mark on the end? ;-)
ok. Are you pissed ?
Cause you talking a load of crap !

Is that easier for you ?
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

Garydegull wrote: ok. Are you pissed ?
Cause you talking a load of crap !

Is that easier for you ?
Explain the logic behind your rather strange post please.

I do of course have no idea if you have been drinking rather too much or not, but there must be some reason for your uncalled for outburst and use of strange and almost incomprehensible language.

I will not be able to review your explanation this evening as after 30 minutes in the gym (yes not much today but I have had a heavy cold) and a hot bath, I am now off to bed with a cup of hot chocolate. ;-)
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Unfortunately I think it will still be us and 1 other. The other will be the club and there is always 1 who has for various reasons a poor 2nd half to the season.

I went yesterday and it was a marked improvement, but I think its 10 games too late. There will be a revival under new management I'm sure about that but the other clubs will also fight for their lives.

We have played more and have a poor goals difference.

What could give us a better probability is a complete new forward line, but I'm not optimistic that this will happen.

Also many of our better players are loanees and could be recalled at anytime.

I thought O'Connor was excellent at RB yesterday.
TUST MEMBER
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

Unfortunately most teams in this division are after forwards who score goals and in truth there are very few in this division as is shown by the top goalscorers and what makes it worse is who is going to want to come to teams who occupy the bottom 4 or 5 places in the division? We are supposed to be after two or possibly 3 such players but i can't see us getting in the type of player we require especially if we continue to play the John Ward way with one person up front.
In truth the teams who break clear will be those who strike lucky and manage to pick up an ace signing or two.
Its gonna be a hard slog for both of us but there is a long way to go and we can both do it but there again so can Northampton and a few others near the bottom. I certainly don't want to be watching Conference football next season.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

The 24th and 23rd placed teams.

If we are placed in 22nd position or above after 46 League Two games then I'll be happy.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

Trojan 67 wrote:The 24th and 23rd placed teams.

If we are placed in 22nd position or above after 46 League Two games then I'll be happy.
As indeed we all will be Trojan and it is not a situation we are not used to ... although for us two our doctors would not recommend it! ;-)