Burton Match-day Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Scott - I have seen more relegation battles than you have had hot dinners. Apart from stating the obvious ie that you are so far removed from the club that you don't know what the hell you are talking about, believe me you are wrong on this one.
This year is nothing like last year. We had the likes of Howe and Jarvis for starters. This year we have no forwards to speak of. We are truly ten times worse than we were last season.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Brucie disagrees with me - what a shocker

;-)

Given the fact that I'm a fat bastard, I reckon I've had more hot dinners than you've seen relegation battles by the way....

;-)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

or if Brucie is to be believed you suffer from depression so you eat too much and that is why you are a fat bastard and it's all your fault. :~D
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote:Scott - I have seen more relegation battles than you have had hot dinners. Apart from stating the obvious ie that you are so far removed from the club that you don't know what the hell you are talking about, believe me you are wrong on this one.
This year is nothing like last year. We had the likes of Howe and Jarvis for starters. This year we have no forwards to speak of. We are truly ten times worse than we were last season.
That is the main concern - we're just not scoring goals. O'Brien seems to have been written off by many on here and yet he has only played a total of about 15 minutes in two subs appearances at home. I thought he was quite well thought of by Millwall fans? Maybe he should be given a chance upfront with Stockley? There doesn't seem to be many other options. Wilkinson may be a good prospect in a couple of seasons but he looked out of his depth last Saturday in the cut and thrust of Div 2 football.

Hargreaves has some tough decisions to make - it will be interesting to see what team he comes up with. By the way, is Downes still our top scorer with about four goals ?? Says it all, doesn't it ?
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

Can't see anything other than another 88th minute goal defeat tonight. Plenty of huff and puff but no craft or guile. Hit on the break as usual. Depressed and all that as I'v seen too many relegation battles. 0-1 tonight and another few points adrift of safety. I would LOVE to be proved wrong but it's only a faint hope for me. :'(
Oblivion!!!!
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

tomogull wrote: That is the main concern - we're just not scoring goals. O'Brien seems to have been written off by many on here and yet he has only played a total of about 15 minutes in two subs appearances at home. I thought he was quite well thought of by Millwall fans? Maybe he should be given a chance upfront with Stockley? There doesn't seem to be many other options. Wilkinson may be a good prospect in a couple of seasons but he looked out of his depth last Saturday in the cut and thrust of Div 2 football.

Hargreaves has some tough decisions to make - it will be interesting to see what team he comes up with. By the way, is Downes still our top scorer with about four goals ?? Says it all, doesn't it ?
O'Brien has gone back to Millwall-one month loan up.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

The performance and energy levels tonight are just as important to me as the result. Should we play really well with a high tempo and motivated attacking football and lose then it proves we can take the game to our opponents and if we replicate it a few times until the end of the season we'll get results. Should we play like we did against Accrington and Northampton given that it is a 3rd opportunity to get things right and lose or even draw then I reckon that would be it. You wouldn't then be able to see any positives or possibly see where a few more wins are going to come from. Tonight is a huge match and we must get the performance, energy, tempo and desire up to 100% regardless of the result. The lads simply have to turn up and be on the ball this evening. No excuses. We know it so I'm sure Chris does. If we don't get that tonight then we have to accept that the players for whatever reason are a combination of taking the p*ss and just not good enough. A recipe for the drop.

Despite all that I am sticking my neck out and have belief that we will win tonight. I have a feeling I will be disappointed with the performance but we may get the win we need somehow.

COYY!!!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

I really can't see us losing this one. The crowd and more importantly the players will be up for this game.
Its going to be a real turning point of the season! :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

You are seriously mad but indeed I hope you are both correct. The one plus point in our favour is that I am not going. Its 0-3 for me and last time I made a prediction we won.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Downes simply has to play with O'Connor moving to right back. If Craig was here I would play him on the wing purely for his delivery. Mansell/Lathrope I suppose in midfield.
With likes of Labadie and Bodin out - the team is threadbare at best.
It doesn't look good.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

over 2/1 for a home win so even the bookies dont fancy us!!

we've got to begin our traditional fight to avoid relegation sometime soon so i'm gonna plump for tonight to see CH's first home win, and even turn it into a chance to make myself some cash, i'll be on the home win at 11/5! stop sniggering at the back super!!
still keeping the faith
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

brucie wrote:Scott - I have seen more relegation battles than you have had hot dinners. Apart from stating the obvious ie that you are so far removed from the club that you don't know what the hell you are talking about, believe me you are wrong on this one.
You hate Jarvis. You spent two years telling us all that he was the worst player ever to wear yellow!

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Interview with CH reviewing Accrington and previewing Burton if anyones interested:
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

brucie wrote:Downes simply has to play with O'Connor moving to right back. If Craig was here I would play him on the wing purely for his delivery. Mansell/Lathrope I suppose in midfield.
With likes of Labadie and Bodin out - the team is threadbare at best.
It doesn't look good.
I think thats a good move, I think it's criminal that Craig is on loan and Stevens is on the bench. Now it seems Mansell Ladabie Bodin and Stockley are out I'd consider putting O'Conner in the centre of midfield with Lathrop and Harding again if Hardings fit, Craig would be a cert starter if he was available.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Seems poor Jose Mourinho at Chelsea complaining he has no strikers! They can't score. Sound familiar?
He's actually after a stiker who can hold up the ball and play with his back to the goal --- Karl Hawley should fit the bill. Please sign the cheque here. =D