Silence tonight

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

MidDevon wrote:As if seeing a lacklustre and unintelligent performance was bad enough today, I now find out on radio Devon that the club are refusing to allow any official or player to speak tonight :)

You could not make it up if you tried, not only are we the poorest team in the league by a country mile, but we now officially have the most unproffessional management :@

SPEAK UP Hargreaves, we know your team is crap, but we are still interested in what you have to say

....not impressed
Startlingly inaccurate in about a million senses.

For 7000 years, Fergie refused to give interviews to the BBC. Presumably this made him "the most unprofessional manager in the Football League"?

Mourinho chucks dolly out of pram and refuses to speak at least twice a week. Loads of managers do it. You know what's genuinely unprofessional? Some chump who may or may not wear a cravat taking 6 months to form every sentence and still say absolutely nothing of value during a post match interview.

We weren't that bad yesterday. I expect all the usual reactionary tripe to spew forth from some, but the fact* is if we'd had a decent striker on board, we'd have been 3-0 up at half time and run out 5-0 winners. That makes us far from the poorest side in the division. If we had a Reuben Reid, we'd be in the hunt for the playoffs at the very least. As it is we don't so we aren't.

Matt.

*Not actually a fact, but I don't think it's too far from the truth.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

ferrarilover wrote: Startlingly inaccurate in about a million senses.

For 7000 years, Fergie refused to give interviews to the BBC. Presumably this made him "the most unprofessional manager in the Football League"?

Mourinho chucks dolly out of pram and refuses to speak at least twice a week. Loads of managers do it. You know what's genuinely unprofessional? Some chump who may or may not wear a cravat taking 6 months to form every sentence and still say absolutely nothing of value during a post match interview.

We weren't that bad yesterday. I expect all the usual reactionary tripe to spew forth from some, but the fact* is if we'd had a decent striker on board, we'd have been 3-0 up at half time and run out 5-0 winners. That makes us far from the poorest side in the division. If we had a Reuben Reid, we'd be in the hunt for the playoffs at the very least. As it is we don't so we aren't.

Matt.

we arnt interested in the what they dont say in the premiersh*te - but are what our manager has to say.

and the fact is we obviously dont have a decent striker.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Oh FFS Matt try the real world for once.

Apparently there is a contractual obligation for managers to speak to the media. For someone who loved to be in the "Spotlight " Ha Ha, whats the excuse now ????
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

I was listening to Radio DEvon at lunchtime : the jingle came on for Devon Sport. They mentioned Exeter City, Plymouth Argyle & Exeter Chiefs. Then they spoke about non-sporting matters. In the past, I might well have rung up to complain; now I feel that I haven't really got a case. And Matt..... I don't give a single fig about what other managers at other football clubs do, I only care about what our manager does ( or in this case, doesn't ) do. And (another thing ) I do believe that Dutchgull is correct about the obligation.
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

He's been slagged off by many on here for sheet he's said during the interviews (his reason for substituting players for eg), and now, when he chooses/is told not to, he gets slagged off again.

What could he have said that wouldn't have had you all moaning about him saying the same old shit each week?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Well that's true Scott. But for once I would like a manager to come on and state publicly we are not good enough and are a poor team, own up, tell the truth, and it might get my respect back.
TUST MEMBER
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

Whilst I normally love your postings Matt, I am afraid that you at times have the niavity of a 12 year old.

Listening to the Torquay Manager speak after the game is part of what has happened in the last 50 years or so, it's part of the culture of watching football. Part of what I and many others grew up with. From the charismatic Leroy to Luboš Kubík, who said exactly the same thing every week, but in different tones, a regular listener can pick up what the manager REALLY thinks by listening weekly.

Someone in the club took that away from the supporters last week, following one of the biggest home gates of the season. I have not said that was Hargreaves himself, but I suspect it was as likely to be him as Bill Philips (unless there was some decent cricket on somewhere, then Bill would not have been at Plainmoor anyway!)

That makes the club EXCEPTIONALLY unproffessional in my opinion during a vital time in the club's history.

Finally I understand your points on Argyle, but they are again incorrect in my opinion. 30 years watching football tells me that to score goals you need a creative midfield who can pass a ball....we have neither, and that is where the heart of our problems lay this season.

You quote the Premiership in your posting. Well I would think if we had the Premiership style facts to hand, it would be likely that our midfield has given the ball away more times than any other club in the league, let alone the division. That alone is enough to see us bottom. The best teams keep the ball.

Recent players O'Kane, Wroe, Stanley, Hargreaves himself would all have walked into the current Torquay team this season, not one of our current midfield are fit to lace their boots.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

ferrarilover wrote: Startlingly inaccurate in about a million senses.

Matt.

You are deluded beyond (the unnecessarily numerous) words that you spout. Even with a striker, a team as inept as ours would not be looking at the play-offs. All season, despite 24 or 25 defeats, you seem to think we have been the better side, your partisan view obscuring the obvious. A lack of a striker has cost us dearly but we are weak in other areas too.

Radio Devon were being a little sarcastic, as when they switched to Hargreaves 'interview' they played a few seconds of silence. I thought the signal had dropped at first but they certainly said something like Torquay United have failed to fulfil their post-match OBLIGATION to send someone to be interviewed.

You quote the example of Fergie but quite often Mike Phelan would do the interview. Only a few weeks ago Lee Hodges did it. Even the captain has been known to do it in the past but how obligatory it is, I don't know and who pulled the plug on it, I've no idea.

People are suggesting Bill Phillips, who only the week before took part in a lengthy interview himself, but on what basis would he, at the end of the match, be rushing to Hargraves to say he cannot be interviewed? It doesn't really make sense.

It is more than likely that CH refused to do it, as he must have done when Lee Hodges was interviewed.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

Who cares if he comes on the radio or not, does it really matter, already it seems too me that the knives are out for jesus, its pathetic.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

Who cares if he comes on the radio or not, does it really matter, already it seems too me that the knives are out for jesus, its pathetic.
budleigh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by budleigh »

It seems too me that the knives are out for Jesus
Maybe with it being the Easter weekend he was just feeling cross...
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

And it's not the first time either, apparently kept the supporters coach waiting for 1 hour at Southend before Mr Breed left with out his interview, As said above by Hector, Man.u always sent someone out to do the interview as does every club whether it's the manager or not.

That said, personally don't give a rats arse what a manager says after a game, they will never say publicly what they've said behind closed doors to the players, however someone should at least come out and just say a few words even if it's the standard we're going keep fighting to the end of season. also, it's a good point, what do we our club to say right now, we are the verge of relegation, it's going happen tomorrow whether we win or not, there are 3 teams who only need a point to send us down and we're playing one of them, until we're confirmed as relegated there's not a lot they can say.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Don't know if this is mentioned elsewhere, but just logged on to the .com website. There is no match report, no reaction, no nothing. We can vote for player of the season though, and the ladies beat Taunton 4-0. Ridiculous!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Pig racing springs to mind. How we could do with some flying ones
Lucy
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

Kernowgull wrote:Don't know if this is mentioned elsewhere, but just logged on to the .com website. There is no match report, no reaction, no nothing. We can vote for player of the season though, and the ladies beat Taunton 4-0. Ridiculous!
Well the match report was posted on Friday after the match: http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 96570.aspx
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/