Contract renewals and extensions

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Of our presently contracted TUFC players, the definites that I'd want to keep would be Pearce, Lathrope, Harding and Cameron.
Maybes include Chapell, Rice and Downes.
Definitely nots are most of the rest, but certainly include Tonge, Nicholson and Mansell.
Last edited by Rjc70 on 19 Apr 2014, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Out of Contract:
Poke, Rice, Nicholson, Cruise, Mansell, Lathrope, Craig, Thompson, Ladabie, Stevens, Bodin, Yeoman,

One more year:
Downes, Pearce, Tonge, Hutchings, Cameron, Chapell, Harding, Sullivan, Benyon, Hawley

From the first list I would love to keep Poke. I would also like to keep Lathrope and Rice (although not as number one). Yeoman, Craig and Thompson depend on how Hargreaves rates them, if they won't get games they may as well leave. Mansell, Nicholson and Bodin we'll need to save their wages - although I have a bad feeling that Manse and Nicholson will be offered a new deal. Likewise Stevens should be let go for a clean break, but it made no sense to sign him in the first place, so he'll probably get one. Cruise isn't getting games so should leave. Ladabie will leave but if he was interested I would keep him.

If possible Tonge and Hawley should be moved on, but if we are stuck with them we'll just have to make the best of it. In Downes, Pearce, Cameron and Chapell we have some quality to build from (or make money from selling). Harding and Benyon are borderline but as they're under contract will stay. The youngsters will probably be released next summer unless they break through this year.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

I think Mansell and Nicholson will both leave, keeping them , following this seasons woeful performances, would be just too risky for Hargreaves.

We need a new captain and certainly need a new midfield, if I were a betting man I think Mansell will end up at a club like Gloucester City and Nicholson at Tiverton Town
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

I would guess Poke, Rice, Mansell, Labadie and Bodin will be offered new deals. The first three will probably re-sign but the latter two will likely get a better offer elsewhere. Nicholson can't even get on the bench so think he'll be released, along with Thompson and Craig. Cruise, Yeoman, Stevens and Lathrope could go either way.

From the contracted players, Pearce will surely be off, while Hargreaves clearly doesn't rate Downes or Chappell. We'll be stuck with Benyon, Hawley, Tonge and Harding. Cameron appears happy to stay based on his interview last week. I'm guessing Sullivan and Hutchings will be given a chance.

Staying
Poke
Rice
Tonge
Hutchings
Mansell
Harding
Cameron
Sullivan
Benyon
Hawley

Plus maybe Cruise, Lathrope, Stevens and Yeoman.

That's what I think might happen, not necessarily what I'd like to see. I'd personally prefer a much cleaner slate.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

AustrianAntheaGull wrote:I'd be honoured to have Ricey as our No.1 next season and Pearce if he can somehow be persuaded to stay would be an immense coup for us. That's it.

Chappell is not a league 2 player. He is a slightly better version of Billy Bodin. All fancy tricks and no end product. He has had plenty of opportunity to prove otherwise but not done so. IMO it is because he isn't up to the standard required and we should stop making excuses for these players and claiming that we've seen glimpse or flashes of what they can do. Well why don't they just f**king well do it more often than once every 3 months then?!!! Because they aren't good enough is a viable answer.

Get rid of everyone else. If Hawley stays then he must NOT pull on a TUFC shirt ever again. Just pay him to do what he has been doing all season which is piss all but this time he can go and play golf or summat on a Saturday. I don't want him within 50 miles of Plainmoor when a game is on.

If Bodin is given a new contract then that's me done no word of a lie until he leaves the club. There are people out there with REAL talent getting up at the crack of dawn making hand woven hand baskets out of splints of wood in the shape of giraffes, people using their creativity and talent and actually applying it such as painting oils on canvas of the sunset over Berry Head or transforming beachcombing finds into elaborate jewellery and articles to sell on. All in the face of a crippling economic climate but they have belief in their ability, a passion for what they are doing and they are willing to do what it takes to earn a living and be proud of what gift they possess.

These people are trying to showcase what they have and make an honest crust. They don't claim to be one thing then churn out endless bollocks and excuses. There are none. Excuses mean failure and no money coming in for these people. Bodin is a charlatan and hides behind 10 others in order to get paid. A total joke. He should be thoroughly ashamed of himself and be made to undertake workshops with all the individual talented folk out there who have an ACTUAL gift and a desire to make others happy. Then he might see that he is in the wrong profession once and for all. If we re-sign Bodin then I will not go to ANY Torquay game until he is gone. He has had 2 whole seasons FFS and given absolutely nothing. He now usurps Jamal Easter as the worst ever Torquay player I have ever seen.

For those who say he will stay in the football league because he's too good for the conference then I say show me the evidence. He would struggle in the conference IMO and he needs to start lowering his sights and look for a new club such as Macclesfield or Lincoln perhaps because that is probably his true level.

Downes I'm not sure on. He has struggled a lot this season and I have a feeling he's come to the end of the road. Sad though it is.
Totally spot on!!!!!
TUST MEMBER
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

tommyg wrote:I would guess Poke, Rice, Mansell, Labadie and Bodin will be offered new deals. The first three will probably re-sign but the latter two will likely get a better offer elsewhere. Nicholson can't even get on the bench so think he'll be released, along with Thompson and Craig. Cruise, Yeoman, Stevens and Lathrope could go either way.

From the contracted players, Pearce will surely be off, while Hargreaves clearly doesn't rate Downes or Chappell. We'll be stuck with Benyon, Hawley, Tonge and Harding. Cameron appears happy to stay based on his interview last week. I'm guessing Sullivan and Hutchings will be given a chance.

Staying
Poke
Rice
Tonge
Hutchings
Mansell
Harding
Cameron
Sullivan
Benyon
Hawley

Plus maybe Cruise, Lathrope, Stevens and Yeoman.

That's what I think might happen, not necessarily what I'd like to see. I'd personally prefer a much cleaner slate.
I can't see that the club will keep Poke. To have two 'first-choice' keepers at Conference level will probably be seen as an extravagance too far. I expect Rice to stay and then probably Bournemouth's youth keeper to come in as back up.

Of those out of contract, I cannot see many staying. Maybe Mansell, although rumour has it he is not getting a new deal if we go down but is if we stay up, when the opposite makes more sense, as he is probably more suited to Conference than Football League. Lathrope hasn't featured for a while, Craig, Yeoman, Cruise never do either, so I would guess they will be off, whilst it is surely time up for Nicholson and a rather sad ending for one of most iconic servants.

I hope to God that Stevens is not kept on and whilst I would like Labadie to stay, I just cannot see he would hang around for non-league, although there are better players than him playing in the Conference, so it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that someone like him might stay.

Bodin has failed to display anything really in these last two years. Not sure why. Is it attitude? Confidence? He certainly has -or did have - ability but it may need a different environment for that to be realised.

As for those who remain. If only we could get rid of Benyon, Hawley, Tonge and it wouldn't worry me if Harding went as well. I think Downes would be OK at Conference level, whilst surely Pearce would move on but if he stays, make him captain.

I wouldn't be surprised if Goodwin and Cargill stay, even Stockley, not that he has done much to convince me but cannot imagine O'Connor would be back or Coulthirst.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

The club will certainly ask the question of Oconnor, Coulthirst and Goodwin, the only 3 decent loanees tanks season (maybe cargill too)

We need them in early and for a long period not month to month to get a settled side quickly!

Poke definitely won't be saying, time for rice to step and make the no.1 his - I think he'll do it
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

I see absolutely no reason why cargill, coulthirst, o connor, or Goodwin would want to play non league football for us? they are capable of league football! let's be realistic!
The gulls are going up
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

gullno4 wrote:I see absolutely no reason why cargill, coulthirst, o connor, or Goodwin would want to play non league football for us? they are capable of league football! let's be realistic!

Cargill is still very young and had already been on loan to Welling, so I think it is a possibility that he could come to us.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Rjc70 wrote:Of our presently contracted TUFC players, the definites that I'd want to keep would be Pearce, Lathrope, Harding and Cameron.
Maybes include Chapell, Rice and Downes.
Definitely nots are most of the rest, but certainly include Tonge, Nicholson and Mansell.
Rice will jump at staying who else will sign him, I expect several players have release clauses in their two year contracts. Mansell at the right wages will stay and is needed. I think you've got to be happy to get a few to stay as it's hard to get quality players to come to the area. :keepie:
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

arcadia wrote: Rice will jump at staying who else will sign him, I expect several players have release clauses in their two year contracts. Mansell at the right wages will stay and is needed. I think you've got to be happy to get a few to stay as it's hard to get quality players to come to the area. :keepie:
Forgot about Labadie. I'd have him here as well. No room for Mansell. No room at all.

I agree with hector that there is no chance we would get Coulthirst or O'Connor and that Cargill, Goodwin and Stockley are possibles.
Scorpion
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Danny Stevens

Post by Scorpion »

I wouldn't offer terms to any of this season's squad. They don't deserve it.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I would not offer a contract to a keeper who has not been fit for two thirds of the season.
TorquayBoy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by TorquayBoy »

I think that's a bit rash, Pearce and Downes at least have tried their best, every game was the same. These are who I'd keep:

Rice - Would work well at Conference for a cheap wage.
Downes - Consistent player with experience behind him.
Pearce - High quality, however perhaps expensive and would be in a league too low for his ability, would be nice to keep though
Harding - I watched him at Northampton and given the right style of play he is a good player.
Cameron - He's got potential, someone with quick feet can be useful when directed properly.

And that's all, a total refreshment wouldn't do us any harm I don't think.
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Robiberto22 »

I'd keep ...

Ricey - Cheap and dependable - most of the time!
Downes - Hasn't had a steller season like the one before but is an honest center back who'd be an asset in the Conference
Pearce - But he'll surely go ...
Lathrope - would have him over harding - honest and tries his best, plus he's really good in a DM role should we wanna go that way
Cameron - Potential - pace would hurt teams in the conference
Chappell - think he'll go tho
Benyon - Needs to improve and step up to the plate but will SURELY score goals in the Conference?
Manse - we will need him - i know he isn't flavor of the month but will do a job for us in the conference!
Yeoman - as a cheap back up
ALAN KNILL'S YELLOW ARMY !!! - Oh wait ...