Michael Poke

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

We signed Martin Rice from a building site and gave him another shot at professional football. He had a great season last year and played far more first team football than he would have expected to last summer. Without the injuries to Poke he might never have received that chance, those are the margins of a footballer's career. His stock has risen in the last 12 months, but not to the point where he would expect to be a number 1 keeper in the football league, nor can he be upset by his treatment by us, that's the life of a number 2 keeper. I would expect him to re-sign for us.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Agree with the last post, think his only likely destination was Exeter, think they'd probably been after Ricey until they borrowed money from the PFA and now cant sign any players.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Martin Rice has been a model professional in my books and he is one player who I hope gets the best deal for himself. Hasn't ripped us off unlike some and got total respect for the guy. I hope he signs for us.
TUST MEMBER
+mustard+
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Billy Bodin

Post by +mustard+ »

Neal wrote:Martin Rice has been a model professional in my books and he is one player who I hope gets the best deal for himself. Hasn't ripped us off unlike some and got total respect for the guy. I hope he signs for us.
What other club other than non league would come in for him and would have thought he would have signed by
now as Hargreaves gave him his chance last season. For all we know he could be hanging on for more money is that not trying to ...................
+mustard+
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by +mustard+ »

DerbyshireGull wrote: Can't blame him. Dropped by the master clown Alan Knill whose thinking amounted to "it can't get any worse - I know, i'll drop Rice when he has in fact been arguably the player of the season and stick Poke back in in the desperate hope it will see an upturn in results".

Knill's logic.

Then hero Hargreaves comes in and keeps with Poke despite him actually performing worse than Rice only to stick Ricey in when Poke got injured at Hartlepool I think it was.

Ricey has been f*** about by both managers and has shown nothing but admirable professional dignity for himself, his profession and his club and to be quite honest Martin. Torquay don't deserve such commitment.

Get the best deal for yourself and your family and go somewhere you will be wanted and appreciated.
Have you not had a job where this has happened.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Exeter for one. They need a keeper and he would be keen to return there.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Southampton Gull wrote:Exeter for one. They need a keeper and he would be keen to return there.
I thought that they were banned from signing any new players?
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

gullintwoplaces wrote: I thought that they were banned from signing any new players?
Correct, until August
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

A bit like Chelsea were banned from signing players? They'll just sign him and not process the paperwork until they've paid back the money.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

I hope Ricey stays, good laugh and model pro. He's waited and he took his opportunity well, only player to come out of last season able to hold his head high.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

RussianGull wrote:I hope Ricey stays, good laugh and model pro. He's waited and he took his opportunity well, only player to come out of last season able to hold his head high.
........ and Krystian Pearce
+mustard+
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by +mustard+ »

tomogull wrote: ........ and Krystian Pearce
Yes buts still not the answer for a number 1.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Sorry to see him go, but understand the decision. It's pointless paying big money to somebody who evidently isn't first choice anymore. If he can get himself fully fit and focussed again, I imagine he'll do well for Pompey.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Couldn't kick a clean ball and when he did he was prone to injuring himself. That kick out against Chesterfield away . . . . . WTF?

He had faults that couldn't be coached out of him.

Nothing more to see here.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"