unprofessional

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

premierleaguegull wrote:Dear frenchgull

My name is Patrick and I work at Torquay United.

I am sorry you didn't receive an email from the club regarding your membership enquiry. If you change your mind, and would like to purchase the blue membership for your friend then I would be happy to help.

Can I ask you to contact me by emailing [email protected] and I will see that you receive the membership information once I return to work on Monday.

We aim to reply to every email we receive, but on this occasion we have fallen short.

Please contact me if I can help.
I think this a really helpful reply. Yes, the club messed up a bit, but remember that all businesses screw up sometimes. They are trying to make it right.

I cannot just switch off my support to the club that I love just because they screw things up sometimes. Time to get behind the club, not knock them Andy. Many other clubs treat their fans like cash cows, Torquay really can't be accused of this.

Time to move on, stop knocking and hope for a great season.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Thought Andy had exercised his choice to support yet another club, really should stick with it.
TUST number 080
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

nice to see you on here again andy? any plans to go any games at all this season? id love a catch up, lincoln, alfreton should see me there? hope alls well anyway mate
still keeping the faith
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Just come on to check that during last nights stupor I didn't post anything untoward. I've been off social media for 2 months now and it's just been like the old days, a real breath of fresh air. I don't intend resuming their use but I did lapse last night so again would like to reassure the masses who had hoped I was gone for good that it is still the case and to ignore this error of judgement. Well, it wasn't judgement really was it - I was battered! :)

I still don't miss photographs of peoples take aways on facebook accompanied with the life enriching words 'nom nom' written underneath although I do miss slices of bread hanging off cat's heads oddly.

First of all I was responding to Frenchies post regarding the poor communications from within the club as it had become a feature in the several years I've been following Torquay. I was trying to balance the argument in my head which meant that accepting that the club had no cash and limited resources in terms of staff, did this have to equate to untold stories of diabolical customer service going back years?

The membership thing has been around a while now and I know that a few of you have your accounts debited for a set amount each year and yet receive nothing in return. Not even an acknowledgement letter of your continued support. How is this right? Torquay only have about 2500 fans and I reckon a large proportion of those aren't members so how is it possible to completely ignore about 6 people and continue to take their money?
It's not criticism, it's working out as an individual what is and what isn't acceptable to each. For some they feel they are helping the club, may be a bit peeved by the lack of respect the club is showing them but continue to have cash taken out. From my personal perspective it is completely unacceptable.

I also am aware that some people attempted to contact the club and were placated yet the same thing happened again and again. This scenario was similar for the programme delivery launch where programmes due to be sent out were not and had to be chased up by people on a number of occasions. By all means make mistakes but apologise, rectify them and ensure they don't happen again. If the club cannot ensure that initiatives can be fully effective and pretty much problem free then they shouldn't be implementing them. I applaud any new initiatives but they have to be workable and they have to adhere to strict customer service rules which includes something as basic as thanking somebody for giving them cash!

WYGull mentions that season ticket collection news is still being waited on as there is no announcement on the O/S. They've been available for collection for a good few days now.

Chunkygull is right and I have been reading the forum, the particular saga between Emet and Gullscorer has been gloriously entertaining - cheers lads!! =D =D Plus I like the way still that posters who have valid concerns get the boot stuck in by all and sundry just for being a bit negative. Fonda springs to mind. Some good points but they aren't what people want to hear so they get dismissed. Nothing changes then. :-/

To be honest, if I was still a Gull I'd be clogging up the forum with excitement about all the games I planned to go to and this that and t'other. I've seen none of that. It's as though you'll all just stumble into the season and regain correct posture in mid October or something. Nobody seems genuinely excited like a big kid in a sweet shop. So what if it's the conference, it's footy and it means something. Come on lads - football is nearly back with us!! Post about it!! Post about how you're not eagerly anticipating taking a dump inside Moss Rose or looking forward to contracting dysentery and bubonic plague in Cleethorpes. Post about the journey ahead and more great and bad times along the way.

Pat who works at Torquay replied on the thread at 1.28 am. Jeez, I was steaming at that time but I've no idea what this fella was on! Bedtime sunshine!! 8-] Perhaps he felt a pang of guilt having read of Frenchies plight and top marks for coming on here and offering to sort it out. On this occasion the customer service standards fell short. I hope Pat is new to the club because he has got his finger on the pulse. He cannot do anything about the plethora of shortfalls previously but going forward he can take the baton run wild run free my friend! Now all you need to do is locate all the email addresses of all the fans in your database and just send them a really nice off the cuff email thanking them for all the support they give to the club. Such a thing would be wholly unexpected, well received and make people feel good. In addition you get to do the right thing. :) It's the thought that counts my friend and many behind the scenes at the club would do well to remember that.

Man Utd have millions of fans. Treat them like scum and one or two will get fed up and be replaced by another few. Torquay have a set number of fans, treat them with contempt and the odd one (literally) with just turn round and tell them to sod off for good, some more will stop going for a bit and some will not go as much and maybe not buy merchandise. Nobody comes in to fill their boots. Appreciation. The thought that counts. It's as simple as that for me as to why I cannot support Torquay anymore. Yes it's eccentric but these are my core values and beliefs and I believe they are doing a very wrong thing. Torquay need to do whatever it can to hang on to fans and for the sake of a bit of manners they could be losing out. Torquay don't have lots of cash but manners cost nowt.

Cornish makes some good points which I am beginning to understand but touching upon the new kit thing. Regardless of how the new kit came about and why, what we are effectively saying is that Torquay should now bring out a new kit each year because it would make more revenue and this is acceptable? For me I wouldn't have a problem with that, they would explain the reasons why and I'd just buy the shirt each year. No probs. The issue I have this year is that fans have shelled out for the new (old kit) and now face another bill should they wish to buy and 'help the club'. Where was the detailed explanation as to why this happened and the sincerest of apologies for this unfortunate event? Please link it on here so I can read it. Any incentives for fans in possession of the old strip when they buy the new one or is it just more of the same? It's all about the club once again and I fully understand the club has to make money to survive but I just feel very strongly that there are appropriate ways of going about it. That's just me, I appreciate that many of you have no problems with the club.

All in all I simply have an overwhelming feeling of resentment at how I am treated as a customer if you like, by the club. It's not one thing, it's consistent and frequent. I can't say that I am right and the club are messing up which to be fair I have been saying and I'm probably incorrect in that assumption. It's just the way I feel as an individual and the club haven't done enough to keep my custom. I think if I had been born and bred Devon and yellow through and through I'd have stuck it out because those that run the club now might not be doing so in ten years time and new incumbents may exercise a little more respect for their customer base. Like many have said, you are what you are. You are also what you eat so said Gillian McKeith. Therefore I'm a corned beef ploughmans (organically raised and grass fed cattle year round naturally) and Gillian is what I can only describe as flaccid celery.

I'd have felt a strong tie and bond and a desire to knit the club together if I was a buhy. I've spent thousands and thousands of pounds these last 7 years in all aspects of my support to the club and whilst that no more singles me out for praise than others, the point has come where it's like flogging a dead horse. For the sake of a few unexpected words of gratitude from the club it has to come to this. Like I said, extreme and eccentric to most of you but to me it's a principle. I have to be prepared to forsake things I have loved or enjoyed in order to uphold a principle.

I really hope that the season is what you guys want. Most of you deserve it. I hope the football is scintillating and the good times flow. I was on the terraces at Hartlepool and Mansfield et al last season and despite my transgressions I was 100% behind TUFC on every occasion, I gave it my all. It wasn't enough. I felt the hurt but not as much. I was often in awe at the small numbers of travelling Gulls and what a shift they put in on the road. It's time you gave some of these conference wannabes a real kick up the anus and got something good going on. This can only be done by boxing up Karl Hawley and sending him via UPS to Shetland and just telling Billy Bodin to leave because he's a bit rubbish. This is your mission.

I had planned to go to Alfreton. Is it on the telly too someone said? If I'm not going to get a load of abuse from Neanderthals then I'd be only to happy to join you in the away end and maybe at Grimsby and Lincoln too? I would like to buy you a pint Bix and we can chat about the Grande Depart. Success or shit? I think you already know my answer! :)

Tour de France. Where? England. Unbelievable.

First one to reply tl:dr gets a mars bar!

ALL THE BEST TORQUAY!!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Yes Andy, Alfreton is on TV and has been moved to a 5.35(?)pm kick-off, which sadly will prevent me from going.
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

Many thanks Patrick for your reply to my missed e-mails,I will be in touch in due course.Nice to hear from Andy,I miss his sense of humour and postings.bet Torquay are your second team.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I'm sure that most of us find it hard to identify with someone who can switch clubs to support no matter how "unprofessional" a club appears to be.

Out of interest, which club do you support now, Andy?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I agree with Andy about the club changing the kit but with a new kit manufacturer and sponsor, a change was somewhat inevitable. It happens.

Andy might be interested to know that Derby County have changed their kit every year for the last decade. See http://historicalkits.co.uk/Derby_Count ... County.htm

That is exploiting fans in a far more cynicial way that TUFC are doing.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

What's the problem with "supporting"(being a "fan" of) more than one club? I've been doing it for donkeys years. These days the only clubs I "support"/am a "fan" of are TUFC and PAFC. No megabucks top Premiershite clubs for me, just proper, cash strapped Devon shite.

:devil:

If you're wondering where ECFC fit in, they dont. My clubs are proper, perennial, solid bob up and down in the toilet pan torpedo shite, not pain in the 'rse wet diarrhea.

:Z
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I never mentioned anything about being a fan of more than one club but from Andy's own posts it appears he's followed several clubs as a "loyal fan" over the years.

Besides, that Cornish rabble you support are practically from another country so not quite the same ;-)
Dave

Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

I don't have a problem with people following/supporting different teams. I don't necessarily understand their reasoning but it's up to them.

I've known people to support Torquay and another team with equal enthusiams... but to me it's like having a second wife/girlfriend. One is more than enough for me (for better or worse). I also feel huge guilt if I go to a match that doesn't involve TUFC. I went to see Liverpool beat Palace some years ago and my scouse friend couldn't understand how I was more excited at the prospect of seeing Torquay play Watford in a cup replay the following week. If I can get to a game (which isn't often) I'd rather put all my money/passion/effort into getting to see the Gulls.

The only way I would stop supporting Torquay and take up another club (which is unlikely) would be if the club disappeared and no longer existed (which is always a possibility but I hope it doesn't happen.

I do have a soft spot for 'several' clubs in various leagues and from around the world but I only support one.

Each to their own I guess and while they support the same club as me, then they're very welcome.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

It is not the idea of supporting two teams I don't understand. It is quite possible to let's say support the team in a place where you have lived for 20 years and to retain some allegiance to the team of your place of birth or visca-versa. Or for example, I work in Cardiff for part of the week and I am likely to go to a couple of Tuesday night matches with a work colleague, so I will have a small interest in Cardiff (it'll be minuscule actually). What I don't get is 'shopping around' for teams as a consumer, I feel there has to be some connection.
TUST number 080
njgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by njgull »

Support as many teams as you want. As long as your support for each is genuine I don't see how anyone can have any complaints. Yeah, in a perfect world everyone would support their home team but sometimes your home team really isn't worthy of support. I supported my home team right up to the point they renamed the club after a crappy beverage. Well that was it for me. Wasn't my club anymore. By that point I had enough other clubs I considered myself a supporter of to more than the fill the void. Levels of support may vary. My Premier League team I watch every game. My Scottish league team I barely ever watch because the Scottish league is a joke. And then there's this little lower-tier club tucked away in a remote corner of England that I started following on a lark. And as the years went by I found I loved that club most of all. So now I'll be dragging myself out of bed Saturday mornings to listen to that little club play the likes of Gateshead and Altrincham. This love affair I never would have foreseen. It just happened. The heart wants what it wants.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

You don't choose a club to support. The club chooses you and that is stuck with you for life.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

Southampton Gull wrote:I'm sure that most of us find it hard to identify with someone who can switch clubs to support no matter how "unprofessional" a club appears to be.

Out of interest, which club do you support now, Andy?
I think, but don't quote me, that Andy said he was going to go back to following York.
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066