Matchday thread: Torquay United v Southport – 16th August

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Greybeardedgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Greybeardedgull »

PhilGull wrote:This is definitely a game to look forward to. I'm hoping for (expecting) a good win.
If Pearce is fully fit I imagine he will come back in, possibly for Tonge with Angus moving across to right-back. I also think Ajala may have forced his way in to the 11, probably at the expense of Briscoe who, like Benyon on Tuesday could find himself out of the 16 all together with Chapell taking a place on the bench.

Torquay 3-0 Southport
Bowman, Yeoman, Ajala

Attendance 1984
You would change a winning side?
You would change a winning side in an area that didn't concede?
You would change an established full back that did nothing wrong for a centre half that looked out of sorts even in his own position?
Ok pal, nice one.
berkshire yellow
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ashley Yeoman

Post by berkshire yellow »

Thank you! Yes hoping the weathers nice, two weeks in totnes where I was bought up should be nice, but catching the next two home games are the priority!!
Greybeardedgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Is this a football forum on views for tomorrows game or a Judith Chalmers/Wincey Willis type sort of what's the weather gonna be like on the Riviera this coming home match?
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Greybeardedgull wrote: You would change a winning side?
You would change a winning side in an area that didn't concede?
You would change an established full back that did nothing wrong for a centre half that looked out of sorts even in his own position?
Ok pal, nice one.
whilst maybe he won't drop Tonge for Gus, I can easily see CH dropping one of the 2 centre backs for Pearce if he's fit enough. He's arguably our best player, definitely our best defender.
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Dan Sparkes

Post by ethantufcbaker »

Kernowgull wrote: whilst maybe he won't drop Tonge for Gus, I can easily see CH dropping one of the 2 centre backs for Pearce if he's fit enough. He's arguably our best player, definitely our best defender.
Probably will drop Macdonald as he looked injured after the match.
Greybeardedgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Ye ok drop a player that looked dodgy to me despite getting mom against Welling to play our best player in his best position but who are these idiots that are asking for a dodgy centre half to play at full back?

Listen you people, our full backs are responsible for the current world financial crisis, the persecution of the human race throughout history and the sh1t weather but don't for one minute think that putting a sh1t centre half or even a decent centre half in that position is the answer. Full back is a very difficult position to play so have some respect.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Greybeard - you know he played there for almost a whole season, right?

Just checking.
Greybeardedgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

No I didn't know that and thankyou for the info.

Hope to god he's better at RB than CH cos otherwise he'll be sh1t.

No disrespect to anyone here but for Christ's sake anyone who has ever played football should understand that it is ten times easier to play at centre half than full back,
Greybeardedgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

No I didn't know that and thankyou for the info.

Hope to god he's better at RB than CH cos otherwise he'll be sh1t.

No disrespect to anyone here but for Christ's sake anyone who has ever played football should understand that it is ten times easier to play at centre half than full back,
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Greybeardedgull wrote: No disrespect to anyone here but for Christ's sake anyone who has ever played football should understand that it is ten times easier to play at centre half than full back,
That's cr*p. I played full back in South Devon league about division 12 'cos I was no good anywhere else. Full back is the easiest position to play.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Torquay are a best priced 1.8 to win tomorrow. Thats a 55.55% chance for the home win. Maybe some slight value on the home win there possibly.
Biggest match of the weekend in this league is Eastleigh v Gateshead so should get an idea of how good these two teams really are.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

It seems as though Benyon was not dropped on Tuesday but was unavailable due to a mouth abscess.
Personally I would play Benyon instead of Yeoman,Chapell for Briscoe and Pearce for Macdonald. I think that gives the team a more experienced look.
I would also consider leaving the keeper off the subs bench having Ajala,Briscoe,Richards,Yeoman and Thompson in reserve.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

brucie wrote:It seems as though Benyon was not dropped on Tuesday but was unavailable due to a mouth abscess.
Personally I would play Benyon instead of Yeoman,Chapell for Briscoe and Pearce for Macdonald. I think that gives the team a more experienced look.
I would also consider leaving the keeper off the subs bench having Ajala,Briscoe,Richards,Yeoman and Thompson in reserve.
On the basis of what? The lesser likelihood that he will score? For his pace? His falling-over prowess?
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

It would seem we are quite overwhelming favourites for this game - certainly judging by the Southport forum, where they appear to expect quite a tonking. One would hope this will be the case - but could this be our Farsley Celtic?
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

I have to agree with Hector, there is no point in playing Benyon using the experience argument. He has experience of being fairly hopeless for the vast majority of his career. Yeoman needs to do it now, or his career will be over, but his experience thus far suggests he'll score goals when the opportunity arises. He may not do much else, but if he puts away the opportunity that comes his way every other game, thats going to be positive. If he doesn't, then he'll be dropped, but i feel he's a more likely source of goals.

i can see the arguement for Benyon, if we are relying on the goals coming from elsewhere, as his workrate might create the odd chance but I would use Benyon off the bench to harrass tired defences when we are winning or losing by one with 20 to go, as that is his strength, and he's more likely to create a chance in that period against tired players.