Current 11

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Gullscorer wrote:Well, Mr Cox has been manager for only five weeks or so. We could hardly expect him to sign players and build up the squad before he was even given the job. And the circumstances at the club which gave rise to his late appointment must be well known by now.

And yes, we're two and a half weeks from the Macclesfield game, with a new manager in charge (with, though it hardly seems possible, an even smaller playing budget then the previous manager) under a new ownership consortium taking over a failing debt-ridden club and having to make big financial cuts to ensure the club's future. In these circumstances the new manager is building a squad which, by general consensus, is actually inspiring a quiet optimism for the season ahead.

Two and a half weeks to go before the first professional competitive game under his leadership at Torquay United. And already we are beginning to see the negative complaints of disillusioned doubters and sceptics, the cynical whingers and grumblers, the doubting Thomases turning up like bad pennies, secure in the fantastical knowledge that they are far better managers than Mr Cox will ever be, and knowing in far greater depth and detail the minutiae of players' fitness, skills, and development, and indeed, knowing far better than the manager what is in the manager's mind, seeing in their mind's eye the whole gigantic picture based on perhaps one or two small pieces of the huge jigsaw puzzle.

How do these omnipotent knobheads manage to acquire such self-satisfied knowledge, wisdom, and (in their own minds) good judgment, which in reality is absolute tosh? My first thoughts were that they must have had long experience of supporting Exeter City to be able to spout such nonsensical rubbish. But that is doing City supporters an injustice. One wonders what will happen should these so-called supporters turn up at matches. Will they cheer the team on? Or will they continue with their criticism and negativity throughout the game?

What's to be done with them? Lobotomy? Electric shock treatment? Re-education? Or do we just ignore them? Certainly those at the club, the manager and the players, would be well advised to do so, and to simply get on with their jobs, secure in the knowledge that the vast majority of supporters will be cheering them on at every game.

p.s. This is not an attack on any particular person or persons, but, if the cap fits, wear it...!! :@
:goodpost: Wow, Gullscorer, where did this post come from, I'm certainly feeling your passion man, think I'm coming over all emotional now.. :)
Formerly known as forevertufc
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

forevertufc wrote: :goodpost: Wow, Gullscorer, where did this post come from, I'm certainly feeling your passion man, think I'm coming over all emotional now.. :)

OOhhhhh. how I hate to see a grown man cry :rofl:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

samuel wrote:Good for you Gullscorer. My sentiments entirely. Season No. 53 finds me looking forward to the first game and with a degree of optimism. If nothing else I think we will see players putting in a proper shift, plenty of effort. Will miss the slicked back hair, drainpipe trousers and winkle picker shoes of Chris Hargreaves on the touch line but Mr. Cox is inspiring more confidence in me and I am hoping us Gull fans will be pleasantly surprised at what happens on the pitch. I do not expect any Braintree type roll overs where some players played like sloths on valium.
Exactly how I feel. Paul Cox and his assistant (I must remember his name !) came to a club on its knees and have no great expectations on their heads. Genuine supporters who have followed the downs and downs of the club over the past year know that if we finish about mid-table, we will have had a good season. However, Paul Cox strikes me as being a manager who knows what he wants and will demand 100% from the players in every match - no sloths on valium (great description of some of the performances we saw in the second half of last season). I have a hunch that the results will improve as the season progresses and that come next April, the club will be in a much better state of health than it was last April.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

well played Gullscorer ! If there was a Post of the Month, I'd nominate you ! Searching for the 'like' button.......
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

taxilady wrote:well played Gullscorer ! If there was a Post of the Month, I'd nominate you ! Searching for the 'like' button.......

Thanks ol' girl. But I can't understand why every single one of my posts on all these forums doesn't receive equal praise... :whistle:
And I did make one typo error in the post... :~D
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Gullscorer wrote:But I can't understand why every single one of my posts on all these forums doesn't receive equal praise... :whistle:
I would imagine it's because most of your posts are just one line, a link and a boring subject. Much like this post.

http://cdn.business2community.com/wp-co ... 8/baby.png
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

I won't be praising you again Gullscorer if you refer to me as 'ol' girl' !!!!! I may remember the MInistand, but I'm not an 'ole timer !!! :-/ :slap:
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

taxilady wrote:I won't be praising you again Gullscorer if you refer to me as 'ol' girl' !!!!! I may remember the MInistand, but I'm not an 'ole timer !!! :-/ :slap:
Keep your hair on, Grandma. :whistle:
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

Is anybody at the game tonight?
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

1-1 at half time. From what I've read it sounds as if we are holding our own.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Current 11

It isn't very good is it? With the exception of Butler I seriously think we are weaker in every position than we were last year, read today Cox expects to make 4 signings, now I know finances are tight and we should be grateful for having a team to support but I'm hopeful those 4 come from the Butler background of having a bit even if it's just a little bit of proven quality as I presume these 4 areas are the spine of the team rather than all these even lower non league gambles. If we are lucky we'll get 1 maybe 2 of them to pay off, the majority won't. History says that to be the case and we've seen with the youngsters/lads with a point to prove or however you want to dress it up that most fall by the wayside for a reason, it worries me slightly that every signing we've made apart from 2 fall into this category.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

royalgull wrote:Current 11

It isn't very good is it? With the exception of Butler I seriously think we are weaker in every position than we were last year, read today Cox expects to make 4 signings, now I know finances are tight and we should be grateful for having a team to support but I'm hopeful those 4 come from the Butler background of having a bit even if it's just a little bit of proven quality as I presume these 4 areas are the spine of the team rather than all these even lower non league gambles. If we are lucky we'll get 1 maybe 2 of them to pay off, the majority won't. History says that to be the case and we've seen with the youngsters/lads with a point to prove or however you want to dress it up that most fall by the wayside for a reason, it worries me slightly that every signing we've made apart from 2 fall into this category.
On paper I would agree but those supposed good players were pap last year, and the year before that, and the year before that. In theory Paul Cox has a better management style than the previous two managers and should be able to get more out of the players than the previous two managers. So better management, even with worse players should at least see us emulate last season.
In the end though its just ifs and buts, the proof will be as in the pudding.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

royalgull wrote:Current 11

I would say (when fit) that Hurst will be far better than anything we have seen at right back for many years (apart from Smith when he was on loan from Spurs) but I take your point.

On paper many of these players joining us are coming from a division (or even two) below but I think that shows where we are regarding a budget. No doubt it will be a tough season but the club has to balance the books and once the gardeners are off the wage bill hopefully this will give Cox a better scope to rebuild.

It is going to be a bumpy ride but we have to remember the 'short term pain for long term gain' in all of this.

Hopefully people will keep turning up and we uncover a few gems from the young side we are currently able to field and we are also able to avoid a relegation scrap. In honesty - I think this is the best we currently ask for.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

I agree and I didn't want it to sound too much of a moan I understand the constraints everyone is working with but it just concerns me that the spine of our side is so weak and we've actually worsened our forward areas, I dunno what i was hoping for with regards to trialists but maybe one or two more like Exodus who although is a bit of a nomad and journeyman at least has a bit of pedigree about him.