Nicholson NOT Out

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

A team of professional footballers (many with football league experience) outplayed at home by a part-time team, with a outfield player playing at the age of 42, who are no better than Bideford.
Sorry Kev but there is no hiding from the fact this appointment is simply not working.
I suspect the manager to remain because simply we cannot afford to replace him but in truth this appointment has sealed relegation.
I am scared to even contimplate where we go from here.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

The fans are the only thing keeping the club positive at the moment but the scenes when the full time whistle went wasn't nice. The fans have lost the patience.

MacDonald shouldn't be captain. He has no leadership skills, doesn't motivate the team and is hot headed.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Nicholson has tried to get players in to replace some of the dross but we haven't been able to broker even the simplest of cheap deals available. How is that his fault?
How can we afford to replace him with anyone better when he was all we could afford in the first place? How exactly are we going to fund any of this without investment?

Some people need to realise exactly what kind of predicament we're in and wake up to the harsh reality of where we are. Sacking the manager is what started this all off and Lucy is right. We keep making the same mistake time after time.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Nicholson wasn't the right option, but it was the only option that we could afford.

Players from Watcombe Wanderers aren't good enough, but they're the only ones we can afford.

We have no money, have a God awful side, the worst ever and that's why we are going down.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Clive Bissel
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Clive Bissel »

Nice to hear there was some disgust at the tripe served up again. For too long the club,board and managers at Torquay have relied on the good nature of the sympathatic paying public .

Time is up Sort it Out Now !!!!!!
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

David Phillips said in the press conference when Nicholson was first appointed 'We will see how the results go but I'm sure it will be fine'.

Well the results are right and it is not fine!!!!
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Southampton Gull wrote:Nicholson has tried to get players in to replace some of the dross but we haven't been able to broker even the simplest of cheap deals available. How is that his fault?
How can we afford to replace him with anyone better when he was all we could afford in the first place? How exactly are we going to fund any of this without investment?

Some people need to realise exactly what kind of predicament we're in and wake up to the harsh reality of where we are. Sacking the manager is what started this all off and Lucy is right. We keep making the same mistake time after time.

That's the point, though. How can we afford NOT to? 1500 turned up to Wrexham. Lose next week and we'll be down to 1000 pretty sharpish. The support has had enough, the reaction at the final whistle today tells you that. Those 500 fans for 10 games -even at £10 a head that's £50,000- will more than pay for Nicholson, Herrera and a replacement. That's not even to mention the cost of being relegated. If they don't act now they aren't saving money, far from it ; they're basically throwing money away.

I'm sure Nicholson has tried to sign players - but this is the problem too. He hasn't got the required contacts. Contacts is more than being able to ring people up, or get someone's number (as nicho himself answered when quizzed about his contacts) but it's about calling in favours so you DO get that cheap deal, you do get that kid from league 1 whose club would never normally loan to the conference , but because the managers know each other do us a favour. He can't do this.

He has also shown he isnt a good coach, failing to improve the team to any real extent even after more than 10 games in charge. The team have flattered to deceive on a couple of occasions, but he is failing to get anything like a winning performance from this squad.

I know we will never, at the moment, be able to afford someone who could do both, but we need so,some who can do one of these things.

It's the same as Hargreaves last season. If we had sacked him after Braintree we would have made the money back with
Clive Bissel
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Clive Bissel »

Can we afford to keep him is more the question to some of the fools on here questioning sacking him!

How's it his fault - how long have you got ...,
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

I see what you're saying Dave, but wasn't it this board who chose to stump up an obsence amount to pay off Hargreaves only to bring in a new manager to great fanfare but without a contract. We then bring in Nicholson who unbelievably has less coaching experience than Hargreaves i.e. none and is appointed purely on the basis of his reputation as a player.

I know he isn't being paid a fortune but he is being paid. Remember how many people applied for the job including someone now at relegation rivals whose form has picked up. There are a number of people including myself who are aware of the dire circumstances we are in but cannot accept the same unprofessional mistakes being made time and time again by boards past and present which have led to where we are now.
The original taunton_gull!!!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Dross they may be but they should still be able to dominate against a team two places above Bideford!
I fully understand that the club has been screwed by previous regimes but fans are still intitled to opinions on current displays on the field.
I feel for the board and Nicholson and understand things are not going to change but this does not demand we cannot talk about the performance of the new manager
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

There are different types of managers, Kevin is not necessary a bad manager, he's maybe not the right manager for the situation?

If you want a hotel built you get a construction company to do it, if you want a "tent pitched in a hurricane", the construction company will take too long to come up with a solution?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Heard something said by the commentators today which I've heard many times before re; other managers, you can't blame Nicho they said, he didn't sign these players, he hasn't got his own squad, what utter and complete ballhocks.

Dino Maamria apparently applied for the TUFC job, wasn't even interviewed according to a poster on another site who's normally on the money. The same Dino Maamria eventually got the Southport job, 3 games in 2 wins, draw 9points, with a squad he didn't sign, none of his players.

How many times has Martin Allen gone into a struggling club and taken on someone else's squad and been successful, same as the likes of Big
Sam Allardyce and others, your either a football manager or your not.

I fully understand the points made by SG, and the club has my full support, I will go to all the home games I can. But my patience is wearing very thin indeed.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Clive Bissel
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Clive Bissel »

Same old things keep coming up here - The hard facts are we are professional club and business and the board are answerable to appointments made in a results based business - No one survives whatever business you are in when results and performance dips under what is deemed a minimum level and the last 4/5 weeks have most certainly gone under that level !!!!
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

There has to be a little bit of realism that flows the other way. Your strep report may be entirely accurate Southampton - I'm sure it is - but people will not pay to watch players underachieve week after week. It is surely time to take stock of the options however limited they may be.
Clive Bissel
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Clive Bissel »

Just boycott the games surely then the clueless buffoons will get the message

Probably replace Nicholson with Sean Joyce ......