Morecambe v Torquay United - League Two - 21/1/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Was not watching close enough to see any free kick award, if there was not it was a penalty all day long could have got lucky there, had a grin at the gulity look on Lathrope's face, kind of gave it away to me..well done ref. :-D
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Perhaps thats the secret ! Have crazy training sessions which the players enjoy and maybe have some fun so everybody is relaxed and all want to do well

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

What a day...
Called Atieno to start and Howe at 70mins
Ogogo (og) at Crewe - thank you!
And the gulls are yet another step closer to world domination!
Just read,reread and savour the form tables - top 3 whichever way you slice it

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/en ... table/full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Next 2 games will straighten out our Goal Difference and then onwards and upwards
:clap: :clap: :clap:

"Welcome to the Ling Dynasty, maybe we will win a Ling vase...."
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

Absolutely great result, if a tad lucky to get away with the blatant handball at the end. What a nice surprise this season has turned out to be so far :clap: :clap: :clap: :keepie: :-D :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Oblivion!!!!
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

If it had been a cricket match, it would have gone to the third umpire to see if the ball had touched the ground before Lathrope caught it!!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Yes, couldn't believe our luck with that handball.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

tufcbrett wrote:Just watched the highligts on the football league show. How the hell did the ref miss the hand ball in the last minute. Looked like it was Lathrope but he pretty much picked up the ball in the box. Lucky lucky. Happy with the 3 points though.

Ellis with two overheads, Ling must have some crazy training sessions.

who cares? :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

usagullmichigan wrote:Because Buckle had a bloody good squad. With Ling we were all talking about trying to stay in the league this season.

I'm a bit confused. Buckle had a good squad but in comparison to other squads in league 2 we weren't EXPECTED to amke the play offs and we did. Ling has a worse squad than Buckle had and nobody expected us to reach the play offs this season, especially with such a turnaround of players and a new manager coming in. So therefore if we make the play offs this year then IMO Martin will have done a far better job than Buckle ever did. You can't say that Martin has NOW surpassed Buckle because he hasn't achieved anything yet. For all we know we could lose 10 on the spin and end upmid to bottom of league 2 then would Martin have done more than Buckle? It's ridiculous to even say that Martin has now done better than Buckle. If we get in the play offs then it will be a remarkable achievement and one with which Ling usurps Buckle as the better of the two.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
HardofHerringGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by HardofHerringGull »

Good to see that Danny is back in the goals again. Also good to see that he has been practicing his Frank Spencer impersonations for when he retires from football! http://www.sportinglife.com/football/cc ... e3&BID=422" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I do wish though, that when he does score, his team mates could bend down somewhat during the celebrations! http://www.torquayunited.com/page/Match ... 57,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Enzo
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Enzo »

A few thoughts on yesterday. The blustery conditions hampered the quality of the football, but I thought we were worthy of all three points. We sat back a little in the second half which invited pressure, and, as always, were clinging on at the end, but it would have been a travesty had we thrown it away. There were many positive points during the match, but the overriding factor seemed to be that the team spirit within the camp looks to be great. What I thought was at best a mid table team on paper is top of the from charts and flying at the moment. If I am honest I doubt we can keep it going, but it is a great time to watch TUFC at the moment.

Some bookies were offering 40/1 on Ellis scoring the first goal yesterday. His finish yesterday was probably better than last week's and I doubt you will get those odds again. This strike came from a corner following a terrific strike from Morris, who I thought put in a tremendous shift yesterday - easily the best performance I have seen from him. Excellent tracking back and a decent touch on the ball. He linked up very well with Oastler, who also had a very good game. Defensively, Oastler was a little more suspect, but he was a real handful going forward. He is another who has come on leaps and bounds this season. We had one or two other chances in the first half, but Morecambe also had their moments, particularly from wind assisted corners. Bobby punched well under severe pressure and made one excellent saved around his post.

I thought at half time it was job done and that we would use the conditions to kill the game off in the second. It didn't quite happen as we sat back a little which allowed Morecambe to push on. That said, we looked dangerous on the break with Eunan and Danny Stevens causing problems. Again, that is the most effective I have seen Stevens for some time - he was very unlucky when his shot from the edge of the box came off the post. When he ran at them Morecambe could not cope with him at all. He deserved his goal with a neat, instinctive flick from very close range. Everyone in the ground looked at the lino and I'm still not sure who played him on, but who cares!

I thought the midfield three of Lathers, Manse and Eunan controlled the game yesterday and let Morris and Danny do the damage. Ellis and Robbo were strong and Nicho was his usual self. I think Ling made the correct call to go with Atieno. He is so clearly a confidence player and dropping him after the work he has put in over the last month could have had a real negative effect on the squad in general. He did everything that was asked of him and forced a great save from their keeper at 1.0. Put through at an angle, he did everything right, but the keeper pushed it past the post. Those comments aside, Renee certainly gave us a bit more quality and guile up front. His know how and little touches made for some delightful interchanges with Eunan, Morris and Danny and the end product was more effective with him on the pitch. For a few minutes at 2.0 it was ole football from us, but then we got a little cocky and nearly threw it away. The hand ball incident is probably the most blatant decision that has gone our way in my 30 years of watching Torquay. Again, who cares!

Probably about 100 or so gulls. Very cold, but in good spirits - One or two in shorts. Pie, gravy and peas lived up to it's reputation.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

austrianandygull wrote:

I'm a bit confused. Buckle had a good squad but in comparison to other squads in league 2 we weren't EXPECTED to amke the play offs and we did. Ling has a worse squad than Buckle had and nobody expected us to reach the play offs this season, especially with such a turnaround of players and a new manager coming in. So therefore if we make the play offs this year then IMO Martin will have done a far better job than Buckle ever did. You can't say that Martin has NOW surpassed Buckle because he hasn't achieved anything yet. For all we know we could lose 10 on the spin and end upmid to bottom of league 2 then would Martin have done more than Buckle? It's ridiculous to even say that Martin has now done better than Buckle. If we get in the play offs then it will be a remarkable achievement and one with which Ling usurps Buckle as the better of the two.
Because we have already acheived far more than what was expected.
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

I journeyed to Morecombe more in hope than expectation with Mrs yellow in tow. The obligatory AC/DC album played for Northern trips didn’t go down well with the old dear, but I figured that given the enormity of the challenge ahead, that I could not risk not playing a good luck album regardless. I know that most of you don’t care, but it was Highway To Hell for those with more taste than her.

Arrival at Morecombe confirmed that this was bleak, windswept and cold and above all .......well Northern. Experience has taught me that these are the classic ingredients for TUFC disappointment.

And then the boys emerged and attempted to stroke the ball about and play football despite the conditions. They looked motivated and organised and they passed with a purpose. Your correspondent was impressed. Mrs yellow thinks lil Danny Stevens is a good player. I put her straight on that score.

Ian Morris looked busy and industrious. Could this be right? Atieno was showing for the ball. Neat triangles were unfolding. At the back Bobby looked assured and probably too good for us and Ellis and Robbo were imperious in repelling the Morecombe attacks. The weak links, if any, appeared to be the old guard of Nicho who was skinned a bit too easily and whose delivery was inaccurate, and Manse who was contriving to overplay, almost as if his recent goal exploits had gone to his head.

Then Ellis repeats his feat of last week. Great finish. Those that weren’t sure he was worth his place might be coming round now. I know they wanted him to be consistent for 20 games, but this kid can play. Brian Saah. Remember him? I don’t. Guy Branston then? History now.

Second half and Danny Stevens is starting to impress. He looks positive. A jinking run here and there and then he hits the post and then blow me down he scores. Good judge of a footballer that Mrs yellow. O’Kane is all twinkling toes and invention. Joe Oastler who looked garbage at Bradford is making dangerous forays forward. He looks a real prospect. Lathrope is our Makelele, just doing the simple things well. This is dreamland.

Rene comes on and gives a masterclass in touch and control. What technique for a man built like a brick outhouse.

Of course we concede near the end. It is TUFC after all.

But the whistle blows and we are there. Fellow Gulls you can feel proud of this team. They are delivering good football and results. Huge credit to Dinger for playing people in the right positions, and getting them to play football with a shape and purpose, whilst also working hard collectively when we don’t have the ball. There seems to be an excellent team spirit as well.

Gentlemen we have a football team here and a proper manager.

Happy days............
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Excellent post Yellow, a good read. The icing on the cake would have been a couple of attacking players in the window which i feel would push us over the line. I am impressed with Bobby, impressed with the defence, Oastler has been outstanding at times this season, Nico is steady and dependable and chipping in with the odd goal and the Robbo/Ellis partnership has flourished and blossomed so that the whole back four is now a solid unit who understand each other. Lathrope gives us the spade work in front of the back four whilst Manse gives us the industry and endeavour both going forward and coming back. Eunan is afforded space and flexibility to go where he wants and show his class. Despite our good run of form and regular scoring i still have concerns about our attackers. Howe is back now and needs to hit the ground running, Stevens and Morris have chipped in recently and given hardworking performances and Tai has come in and worked really hard for the team and his goal giving us the three points over Swindon. We are capable up front but if we freshened it up a little in that department then we will have a serious, serious chance of promotion.
I know we have Nathan Craig in at the moment and hopefully the lad can impress and give us something extra. The fact that Martin has had Bodin here and has now got Nathan down indicates that he must be happy with the rest of the team but would like a bit more competiton up front. Clever bloke that Martin.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Pwopper Manager innit ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Wisconsin_gull wrote: Just read,reread and savour the form tables - top 3 whichever way you slice it

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/en ... table/full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice table, but personally I prefer this one ....

P W D L CS FtS F A GD Pt PPG
1 Torquay United 12 9 2 1 7 2 21 7 +14 29 2.42
2 Swindon Town 12 8 3 1 7 2 18 5 +13 27 2.25
3 Cheltenham Town 12 8 2 2 6 3 18 8 +10 26 2.17
4 Shrewsbury Town 12 7 3 2 7 3 19 8 +11 24 2.00
5 Accrington Stanley 13 7 4 2 5 3 21 10 +11 25 1.92
6 Southend United 12 7 2 3 3 2 25 14 +11 23 1.92
7 Crewe Alexandra 13 7 2 4 3 3 20 18 +2 23 1.77
8 Crawley Town 12 5 6 1 3 1 19 10 +9 21 1.75
9 Rotherham United 12 5 3 4 4 3 18 14 +4 18 1.50
10 Oxford United 13 5 4 4 5 3 20 15 +5 19 1.46
11 Gillingham 12 5 2 5 3 4 18 18 0 17 1.42