Torquay United v York City - 5/10/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Someone else posing a load of questions and no answers.

As an experiment, riddle me this, PL21:

You are TUFC manager. You have no (and I mean NO) money. Someone tells you that you need to "bulk up" the midfield. You concur. What do you do next?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

ferrarilover wrote:Someone else posing a load of questions and no answers.

As an experiment, riddle me this, PL21:

You are TUFC manager. You have no (and I mean NO) money. Someone tells you that you need to "bulk up" the midfield. You concur. What do you do next?

Matt.
Get a good manager!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Ok then USA, here we go again:

You're Chairman of TUFC. You have no (and I mean NO) money. Someone suggests you sack Knill and appoint someone else. You concur. What do you do next?

Matt.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

ferrarilover wrote:Ok then USA, here we go again:

You're Chairman of TUFC. You have no (and I mean NO) money. Someone suggests you sack Knill and appoint someone else. You concur. What do you do next?

Matt.
Don't sack a good one in the first place!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

usagullmichigan wrote: Don't sack a good one in the first place!
didnt realise we had.........
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Judging by results we did
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Hahaha, that's a lovely option. Ling was sacked because his illness made it impossible for him to continue. Keeping Ling became impossible, a risk we couldn't take. We HAD to find appoint someone new.

Matt.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Someone or anyone?
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Please don't tell me you're stupid enough to fall for the Hector line that the Board appointed Knill because some arseholes on the Internet said they should.

Matt.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Still people want Ling, incredible!

Im sure he's down the local pub for you to meet up usa (D)
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

ferrarilover wrote:Hahaha, that's a lovely option. Ling was sacked because his illness made it impossible for him to continue. Keeping Ling became impossible, a risk we couldn't take. We HAD to find appoint someone new.

Matt.

sorry to disagree matt thats not entirely true, i dont want to go over old ground but martin was well enough to come back and was due to come back on the monday but was sacked over the phone on sunday evening. i saw martin a few weks ago in torquay and he said im fit and well and was ready to resume my role and have had no recurence of my illness. i just think that if he had come back we wouldnt be in the scenario we are now.
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

ferrarilover wrote:Ok then USA, here we go again:

You're Chairman of TUFC You have no (and I mean NO) money Someone suggests you sack Knill and appoint someone else. You concur. What do you do next?

Matt.
I assume that you don't mean what you have posted, & what you are trying to say is that the club have no money. You have said many times that if someone is offering an opinion or fact then it should be stated why you have formed this opinion, or where you have got the information from. How do you know how much money the club has? Come on, spill the beans! Are you the club accountant?
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

ferrarilover wrote: I know he's had some already and it hasn't been perfect, but give Knill and this team time. It's not looking good, we aren't scoring enough goals and that is now being exposed because we're desperately vulnerable at the back, but Knill will get them playing his sort of football, he will get us scoring goals, he will keep us in the division (which is all any Torquay manager could be expected to do). I remember his Bury side of a few years ago, they were electric and possibly the best L2 side I've ever seen. Knill will fight the fire for now by getting in another CB and moving Cruise back to his rightful place at LB (and Nico to his rightful place, on loan to Forest Green). We'll weather the storm as best we can then we'll build from there. There are guys to come in yet who haven't featured so far and guys to play where they actually belong, we'll look much better then.

Be cool guys, be cool.
Matt.
Gotta admire you for managing to put some kind of positive spin on yesterday's shambles - have you ever considered becoming a politician? You're right to say now is not the time to call for Knill's head - firstly, we're only 10 matches into the season and secondly, we can't afford to pay the compensation. I was reasonably happy with his appointment as he is a proven lower division manager but now the doubts are creeping in. Let's unpick some of the points from the last paragraph of your lengthy posting -
1. .... he will get us scoring goals. We had NO efforts on target in the first half and only two in the second half, one of those a great effort from a midfield player, Lathrope. If our forwards don't perform better than they did yesterday, there will be many more Torquay Knill scorelines.
2. earlier in your post, you mentioned that we didn't have our first choice central defenders. True, but in my opinion, I wouldn't put any blame whatsoever on O'Connor or Cruise for yesterday's shambles. O'Connor looks a very good loan acquisition.
3. ..... Nicholson, rightful place on loan to Forest Green. Why this Nicholson bashing, Matt? He had a solid game yesterday
next two points are not related to your posting - simply my own thoughts
4. We're 2 - 0 down. Everyone in the ground could see we weren't getting anywhere and it needed changing. So what did Knill do? Took off Bodin and replaced him with another winger !! Why the hell didn't he change it around and bring on Nathan Craig? What was there to lose? There was no creativity coming from midfield.
5. Team spirit - alarmingly lacking, and it's been lacking all season. Just watch the body language, Matt - there is something seriously wrong at the club we love.
I don't want to be a negative poster but that's how I see it at present.
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

It's pretty common knowledge that the club just had to pay Martin and Sean's severance package that was around 100k and it is also common knowledge that the club has been making staff redundant, that doesn't happen if you have thousands laying around in the bank.
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

supergulls wrote:It's pretty common knowledge that the club just had to pay Martin and Sean's severance package that was around 100k and it is also common knowledge that the club has been making staff redundant, that doesn't happen if you have thousands laying around in the bank.
Well if that's all it costs it would be money well spent to get rid of the clown & get a manager who knows what he is doing, it may even cost less if the new manager decided to keep Chris Brass & train him up.