Transfer Window

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I don't see where Stevens fit's in at all. He is nowhere near the standard of either Bodin and Chapple. Hargreaves didn't play either winger in his first match, and with Cameron/Thompson also still on board it would seem a completely pointless signing to me.
It all smacks of "dumbing down" to the conference to me.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I agree with both of brucie's posts.
TufcHills
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Karl Hawley

Post by TufcHills »

Agree with Brucie, Rendell has already proved this season for us he's not up to it and Stevens was good...... In the conference, we need to be looking at good young championship players on loan rather than players like Stevens and Rendell
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Behind-the-Gulls wrote:Greavsie interested in getting Scott Rendell back.
Where is your evidence for this? It's bad enough that the headless chicken doom merchants are declaring "Woe is Me" about Stevens (a deal to the end of the season for Christ's sake, probably at cheap wages, and certainly as a reserve in case of injury).

I despair at some of you, you are pathetic.
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

The original taunton_gull!!!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

brucie wrote:Rendell and Stevens - Conference here we come. If this is true its abjectly disappointing news. Signing players who are worse than we have already is not a sustainable policy.
Trying to recreate our conference side is not gpoing to see us staying up.
is it April 1st?

i cant believe this to be honest.
whats he going to do now?
get on the phone to sillsy and toddy?

thinks its a bad decision - stevens doesnt add anything to what we have and is probably the least area where we need an extra player.
Last edited by SuperNickyWroe on 23 Jan 2014, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

So, a Herald Express story, not a fact. "Believed to be tracking". Hargreaves is not an idiot, he has a limited budget and will only sign players that he thinks will be of help this season. If he does sign Rendell (a big if) it will surely only be to the end of the season at limited cost. Why can't some of you trust our NEW manager? Some of you, the usual suspects, can't wait to jump in with your big hairy feet and have a pop. Moan, moan, moan, pathetic.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

gullintwoplaces wrote:So, a Herald Express story, not a fact. "Believed to be tracking". Hargreaves is not an idiot, he has a limited budget and will only sign players that he thinks will be of help this season. If he does sign Rendell (a big if) it will surely only be to the end of the season at limited cost. Why can't some of you trust our NEW manager? Some of you, the usual suspects, can't wait to jump in with your big hairy feet and have a pop. Moan, moan, moan, pathetic.
dont talk wet.

for gods sake, if you are talking about stevens and rendell, then you are looking at one player who barely makes it into conference team due to his fitness levels, and the other who couldnt even get a contract at another.
and they dont take that much "tracking" either.
and if he has a "limited budget" I think it could be much better spent looking at other players.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025

TUST Member 468

gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

SuperNickyWroe wrote: dont talk wet.

for gods sake, if you are talking about stevens and rendell, then you are looking at one player who barely makes it into conference team due to his fitness levels, and the other who couldnt even get a contract at another.
and they dont take that much "tracking" either.
and if he has a "limited budget" I think it could be much better spent looking at other players.
So you don't trust our new manager then? So I am talking wet because I believe that we should get behind him and trust his judgment. I said "tracking" because that is the term used by the local rag, I don't know what it means either. Whatever YOU think Hargreaves will use his judgment to sign who he thinks will do a job. I wouldn't sign Rendell either, but I ain't the manager and neither are you.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

gullintwoplaces wrote: So you don't trust our new manager then? So I am talking wet because I believe that we should get behind him and trust his judgment. I said "tracking" because that is the term used by the local rag, I don't know what it means either. Whatever YOU think Hargreaves will use his judgment to sign who he thinks will do a job. I wouldn't sign Rendell either, but I ain't the manager and neither are you.
its nothing to do with trust.
i aint the manager,well done for spotting that.
but im talking about a player who has not had a club - because he couldnt get one - and doesnt really add anything extra to the players that we already have available.

so no,i dont think stevens could "do a job" for us. just like many others on here.

TUST Member 468

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

The H/E article has to be read and understood properly, it says Hargreaves is 'believed' to be tracking Rendell, as G-I-T-P has already pointed out. Easy story for any journalist to write, (CH) 1 + (SR) 1 as two players know each other well, as former TUFC teammates= 2. And if the story does turn out to be true, then it becomes look you heard here first. it's a piece of guesswork.

It also says 'Danny Stevens is an option to the end of the season'. Who says Danny Stevens is being signed as a first team player, or even a winger, that's the important thing, maybe CH is looking at Stevens to play in the middle behind the front 2 or 1, more than likely Stevens would however be a squad player, can not do any harm. After all Stevens could be the player, who scores the goal, that keeps us in the league, who would moan then ?

The article also says, and this is the most important bit, that CH is waiting for answers from 3 established football league players, it isn't all bad news, I would suggest CH is keeping all options open, which is the correct thing to do.

We are in relegation scrap in case some hadn't noticed, unity across the board is the only thing that will get us out of it, because we, as a club sure as hell can't buy our way out of it, do I trust CH's judgment, yes. Does he have my backing as a fan, yes.
Formerly known as forevertufc
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

forevertufc wrote:The H/E article has to be read and understood properly, it says Hargreaves is 'believed' to be tracking Rendell, as G-I-T-P has already pointed out. Easy story for any journalist to write, (CH) 1 + (SR) 1 as two players know each other well, as former TUFC teammates= 2. And if the story does turn out to be true, then it becomes look you heard here first. it's a piece of guesswork.

It also says 'Danny Stevens is an option to the end of the season'. Who says Danny Stevens is being signed as a first team player, or even a winger, that's the important thing, maybe CH is looking at Stevens to play in the middle behind the front 2 or 1, more than likely Stevens would however be a squad player, can not do any harm. After all Stevens could be the player, who scores the goal, that keeps us in the league, who would moan then ?

The article also says, and this is the most important bit, that CH is waiting for answers from 3 established football league players, it isn't all bad news, I would suggest CH is keeping all options open, which is the correct thing to do.

We are in relegation scrap in case some hadn't noticed, unity across the board is the only thing that will get us out of it, because we, as a club sure as hell can't buy our way out of it, do I trust CH's judgment, yes. Does he have my backing as a fan, yes.

dont have a problem with that dave.

but i do have a problem with the "potential" signing of stevens.

he isnt what we need.

TUST Member 468

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

What is exactly pathetic about expressing a view.

That view that Danny Stevens isn't the answer is nothing but a reasonable one. Arguably that we have four players in his position that are better than him. Certainly all four are quicker than him thats for sure.
He might be going to play behind the two strikers? - can't see that as we have the ideal player in Bodin who can fulfill that role.
I don't know how many games you saw in the last season that Stevens was here, but he was in fact little better than hopeless and that was being charitable.
Given that he hasn't played for anybody since he left us, was rejected by the mighty Aldershot and its quite reasonable to question whether he is the answer.
Trusting the manager doesn't come into it. I would rather trust my own eyes,and logic which tends to point to Stevens not being the answer.
We have twenty games to save ourselves. Any money we have should surely be focussed on signing players that are ready and able to come into the side,improve on what we have - not a player who is in all honesty fifth choice in the position he plays.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:
dont have a problem with that dave.

but i do have a problem with the "potential" signing of stevens.

he isnt what we need
I agree Chris, I hold the same personal opinion , however if CH has seen something in Danny Stevens that he (CH) believes can be used to help our fight against relegation, then as a fan, signing DS is ok with me.

Thing is on the plus side, what we get is a very hungry player with a big point to prove, also my own view is Danny Stevens, is easy to pick up out wide and mark out of the game, not so easy through the middle, can't find the video of the goal he scored away to Burton, but here's an example of what the lad can do, ok it's the conference, but he had real hunger back then, and I am that's the type of Danny Stevens we would get back.

Formerly known as forevertufc
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I think you are looking for a reason why he is a sensible signing when logically he is not. We have a player in Bodin who is light years better than Stevens who could play the role you have referred to.