Pre-Season Friendly

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Jeff wrote:Lowdown on the new faces (and some who aren't so new):

Bayan Fenwick is a midfieler/forward, formally on the books of Cardiff and Crystal Palace who has since had spells at Eastbourne Borough in the Conf South and Boston in Conf North

Jarne Moulton - no idea, typo on the twitter feed perhaps?

Sam Topliss - ex Hull City, played for North Ferriby in the FA Trophy final

Fabian Speiss - German Notts County keeper who has had a spell at Brizzle Rovers last season (and scored rather too many OG's!)
i thought Fenwick was one of the better performers tonight tried to play the ball, got stuck in to some challenges and brought others into play

Topliss was up against a tricky winger and got beaten a few times but looks a decent RB

Speiss in goal didnt fill me with much confidence, flapped at a few crosses, not better than Lavercombe!

Overall Butler was excellent he looks a great signing!

Unfortunately Yeoman showed that yes he can score against Glampton but when it comes to decent opposition....
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

I think Toplis would be a good signing..he shone with Ferriby last season and with a little coaching I reckon he can make the climb up to our division
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

didn't think too much of Topliss unfortunately, but was very impressed with Fenwick. Butler was my Man of the Match. Exodus doesn't take 'throw-ins'...he does 'launches' instead !
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Fenwick and Butler were my MOTMs.

A little dickie bird advises me that Fenwick has been signed so this will address one of the weaknesses in the squad.

Not at all sure about Topliss - was beaten all ends up on so many occasions by his winger. Massive contrast with Butler on the other flank who looks a class act.

Exodus was great tonight and Jamie Richards was much better as the third centre back. I expect to see him signed too before the start of the season.

The jury's still out on a goalkeeper to partner Lavercombe - Speiss did not look too commanding although he had little chamce with either goal.

We still need a target man - Yeoman cannot, unfortunately, lead the line up front. We only had two shots on target all night.

Thought Sam Chaney looked good when he came on.

All together a better performance than Saturday.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

Went to my first game of Pre-season tonight. Glad the football season is back.

Felt we did ok. Tried to get the ball down and pass it around which was pleasing. Briscoe took his goal well.

I hope we don't sign Speiss. Made a few errors tonight and didn't look very assured.

It's nice to see a central defence with a bit of height and presence about it.
Exodus looks a bit awkward and made a few clumsy errors but I'll just put that down to not enough game time yet. What a throw by the way!!

Youngy and Briscoe covered some ground tonight and put in a good shift. They look up for it this year.

Yeoman - I feel sorry for him. As much as I want him to do well, I just don't feel he will cut it. Against a half decent side tonight, he didn't have the strength or skill to get past and when he didn't there was no end product.

We do need some height further up field like a big frontman. Fairhurst and Yeoman didn't win a ball in the air all night. If Exodus is going to use his throw ins as a set piece we need someone who is going to get on the end of it else the oppsition will clean up all day long time and our defender will be out of position. I'm sure PC knows this though.

PC and Ramshaw were very active on the touchline. I'm sure this new team will be well drilled and no prisoners will be taken.

All in all a half decent performance.
I see PC is making decisions and signings in the next 24 hours so it will be very interesting.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Long throwns can be a potent weapon in this Division as we saw with Nicho & Sills

BUT... you need height, and a forward who can get on the end of them. You aint gonna get a forward with height, who can score goals, hold up play and is pacey with the money we got, wont happen!! So I would sacrifice scoring goals and pace. A forward who can just get on the end of throws, corners etc and disrupt a defence, and you will get chances for other players in this division.
TUST MEMBER
lucusmc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by lucusmc »

Remember Spiess flapping at crosses last season against Rovers. First half he got no where near two crosses that evaded him, luckily one cannoned off the post!

Thought we looked ok, need a tall striker if we're going to go more direct. Fairhurst and Yeoman up top are not tall or strong enough to hold it up.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I dont think Toplis is the answer at RB, he was beaten everytime by there tricky winger, he gave him way too much space and time particularly in the 1 st half.
Butler played well and looks like a descent player. Good set piece as well. Fenwick played well especially in the 2nd half. Exodus looks like he needs matches but hopefully he will only improve, his throw ins will be a constant menace to any opposition, although i kind of wish we had him in the box.
I think Fairhurst is still a bit off fitness wise but i can see him doing well, reminds me of Billy Kee. Angus still looks like hes playing with a short fuse.
Not sure about the Keeper, he took big chances at the Tivvy game and got away with it.
I want Ashley Y to do well, but i really dont know if he has it, Yeovils defence were pretty poor and to be honest he should have done better with several opportunities.
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

SBP wrote:I want Ashley Y to do well, but i really dont know if he has it, Yeovils defence were pretty poor and to be honest he should have done better with several opportunities.
Hate to say it but that probably sums up his career to date. Just not quite good enough to be a regular player, even at Conference level.
Shame, as he's a nice lad, but it's a hard game.
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

I think we'll probably sign Topliss, as we have Hurst and Butler, and so only really need cover in this position (even though Hurst could be out through our tough first month.) I'd take Jamie Richards as well, and think that he could work well with Gus and Ex as part of a back three. I am going to get behind the boys this season no matter what, and considering the tiny budget Cox has at his disposal would be quite happy with the squad, should we sign these two and a lump up top.

Added in 2 minutes 2 seconds:
My bloody selfish cousin is getting married on August 8th in Derbyshire though, and so I'm going to miss the first game of the season for a crap wedding and a meal with exciting menu choices such as "Tomato Soup, or Prawn Cocktail". Sorry, I'm livid!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I thought Richards was quite impressive when he came on at Tiverton, but had one or two adverse comments against Newport.
Did the centre half triallist (whose name I don't know - Maduoake?) play last night?
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

brucie wrote:I thought Richards was quite impressive when he came on at Tiverton, but had one or two adverse comments against Newport.
Did the centre half triallist (whose name I don't know - Maduoake?) play last night?
Richards played ok last night, for long spells we played 3 at the back with the full backs going forward, although Toplis struggled with his man and Gus covering.
I think it was Maduoke who came on late for Richards. If it was him then the time he was on didnt inspire me much. Exodus was at him straight away for a foul conceded, then he got himself in the wrong position. Could get away with things against Tivvy but not at this level. From what Ive seen of him needs more time to develop.
However if it wasnt Maduoke then apologise
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Truro game delayed KO until 3.30pm due to traffic problems, didn't realise there would be such a huge crowd haha!!

Anyone got any info on this one, line up, trialists playing, etc??
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Thanks GS :)

I see Ricey is in the sticks for them and we apparently have a O'neil 'Coolfin' trialling too haha :clap: